follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
bobaab

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rear-facing infant seats that fit the 86?

Hey guys,

There's some info on the internets, but not much and it is scattered. Rear-facing seats are tough to fit in the back because of the shape of the seat. The latest information I found is mainly from 2012-2014, so I thought I'd like to ask this question again!

Could you guys recommend rear-facing infant seats that fit? Convertible seats would be great since we can flip them around so we get more use out of them.

Please list:
  • Manufacturer
  • Model Name
  • Rear-facing or Convertible
  • Picture of seat in the car if possible (baby in picture optional!)

I think this info will be useful for people like me...justify keeping the BRZ, even while raising a kid! I'm sure there are many parents out there in the same situation.

Thanks!
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I can personally confirm that Clek and Recaro's do, but you're not going to be able to fit anyone in the front passenger seat. And yes, I test-fitted them at the correct angles. If you've read any of my posts on the subject, then you know that I'm not a fan of squeezing people into the car and having a childseat improperly installed.

I'm gonna tell you right now though, it's going to be a real pain in the ass to get the kid in and out if you're larger than the average Japanese person especially if you don't want to wake them up if they fell asleep.

Yeah, you could keep the BRZ, but you'll need another car as a dedicated family hauler. The BRZ should really only be used when you're in a real bind.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
I had to sell my BRZ since it was a pain to get the baby seat in and out, the front pass seat wouldn't even lock! It would just roll forward or backward depending on if it I was on the brake or gas. I was using an older Peg Prego Sip. Even if I had a seat that did fit, it's still a pain, since you have to hold the front pass seat back with one arm, (on my baby seat, I had to first fold down the handle on the seat, it wouldn't clear the roof of the car, so I had to pick up the seat from the bottom) then prop one knee on the sill, and hold the baby seat in front of you, then lock it in. It's really awkward, and doing it everyday gets a little old.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I don't have kids and my rear seats have been removed. I did read this article tho. Figured it would help you.

http://jalopnik.com/5928491/2013-scion-frs-will-it-baby
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Just put them in the front seat. The only issue I see is the front airbags but they should self-disable correct? Or perhaps pull the fuse for the passenger airbag.

I can't really see police giving a ticket to someone because the childseat is in the front.... just tell the cop it won't fit in the back and you should be fine (cops can see the FRS/BRZ is a tiny car).
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I just leased a Toyota Sienna SE to haul baby, keeping my BRZ as pleasure use. I felt BRZ is inconvenient to load a baby/child and I don't felt it is safe. In addition, as the car is modded to stiff and loud for my preference, I think it will make my baby sick. Mini van is awesome, the sliding door allow me the load/unload the infant and change diaper at any space.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speed2th For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (02-11-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
OP, i used my Chico Keyfit 30 in my BRZ no problem!
but you cannot use passenger sit. you could but i wouldnt use it at all because very tight space left.

once infant can sit front facing, you'll have plenty space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2th View Post
I just leased a Toyota Sienna SE to haul baby, keeping my BRZ as pleasure use. I felt BRZ is inconvenient to load a baby/child and I don't felt it is safe. In addition, as the car is modded to stiff and loud for my preference, I think it will make my baby sick. Mini van is awesome, the sliding door allow me the load/unload the infant and change diaper at any space.
i agree. i switched my nameless exhaust to Q300 because i felt guilty giving my daughter drone sound
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (02-10-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
NahumCC

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Any rear facing seat will make the front seat impossible for a passenger and will require loading in from the opposite side.

Once they are turned around life gets a little better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
NahumCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
MGD7444

Drives: 2016 BRZ LTD
I am in the same situation....didn't buy the car yet but was testing it out. Got the Chico keyfit 30 in without a problem, and the front seat is still usable. I can sit in it, and so can my wife (not too comfortable but do able)
Attached Images

MGD7444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MGD7444 For This Useful Post:
bobaab (02-08-2016), Busybee (01-05-2023), DAEMANO (02-05-2016), makesdrivingfunagain (12-25-2018)
Old 02-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD7444 View Post
I am in the same situation....didn't buy the car yet but was testing it out. Got the Chico keyfit 30 in without a problem, and the front seat is still usable. I can sit in it, and so can my wife (not too comfortable but do able)
yup. have same
Old 02-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
bobaab

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ Limited
Sighs all over the place. I was hoping to hear back about at least ONE convertible car seat that would fit! And generally more enthusiasm from the 86 owners to keep the car!

I hear the Chicco Keyfit 30 fits...but reading about that seat, infants outgrow it after 6-12 months depending on the kid.

I feel like it's just delaying the inevitable, but it may be worth doing just to be able to drive the car for one more summer season!

My next step...I'll try a Baby's R Us and have them help me test fit a bunch of baby seats. Will report back if I find anything...otherwise, non-BRZ car for me
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaab View Post
Sighs all over the place. I was hoping to hear back about at least ONE convertible car seat that would fit! And generally more enthusiasm from the 86 owners to keep the car!

I hear the Chicco Keyfit 30 fits...but reading about that seat, infants outgrow it after 6-12 months depending on the kid.

I feel like it's just delaying the inevitable, but it may be worth doing just to be able to drive the car for one more summer season!

My next step...I'll try a Baby's R Us and have them help me test fit a bunch of baby seats. Will report back if I find anything...otherwise, non-BRZ car for me
I switched to Chicco Nextzip convertible seat when my daughter turn into 1.
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
bobaab (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #14
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaab View Post

Most infant seats for kids that are less than 35 inches will fit, but make sure you bring some thick towels or some cut-up pool noodles with something to tie them up to make sure you get the proper installation angle for the base when test fitting. I actually found that rear-facing convertible seats actually provide more passenger space, albeit only a negligible amount recline.

Unless you and your partner are small in stature and in good shape with strong backs, it's going to be a real chore when your kid starts to weigh more and fights getting into the seat. But like everyone says, it gets easier when they go front-facing. Don't forget that the AAP suggests that kids be rear-facing upto the seat's height and weight limits too. Rear-facing is still the safest position upto about 4 years old.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
bobaab (02-09-2016)