follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #1
Christian628

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Deciding on coilovers and springs

Anyone have any experience with Silvers Neomax coilovers on a frs or brz? I was trying to decide between Fortune Auto and RSR and saw someone on another forum say Silvers is Fortune Autos supplier. Tried to find a review of them for our cars, but came up empty. Also trying to decide if swifts would be worth it just for daily driving. And please dont recommend ST of some V3s. Looking for coilovers that adjust by a rotating bottom bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christian628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
What are you doing with the car? Street car hitting back roads, track car, autoX?
Old 03-09-2022, 02:57 PM   #3
Christian628

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
What are you doing with the car? Street car hitting back roads, track car, autoX?

Daily driving. Occasionally some spirited backwoods corners with some friends. But I dont really give it hell. Most of the corners you cant see around and they are thin roads.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian628 View Post
Daily driving. Occasionally some spirited backwoods corners with some friends. But I dont really give it hell. Most of the corners you cant see around and they are thin roads.

I'd just go with RCE yellows with B6's. Retain the stock top hats and get some camber bolts.
Captain Snooze (03-10-2022), jeepmor (03-17-2022), N_Raged (03-11-2022), RippedManiac (03-17-2022), x808drifter (03-10-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 03:22 PM   #5
Christian628

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I'd just go with RCE yellows with B6's. Retain the stock top hats and get some camber bolts.

Id like to drop somewhere around 2-3 inches. So I want to go with actual coilovers. I want something that I can rebuild so they last a while. Thats why I was looking at the fortune auto, rsr, and silvers. Any experience with these or something comparable?

Old 03-09-2022, 03:38 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Id like to drop somewhere around 2-3 inches. So I want to go with actual coilovers. I want something that I can rebuild so they last a while. Thats why I was looking at the fortune auto, rsr, and silvers. Any experience with these or something comparable?

At 2-3 inches of drop you are going to have very little bump travel and any coilover is going to ride terribly. I'd just go with cheap if you are looking to go that low.
jeepmor (03-17-2022), norcalpb (03-09-2022), x808drifter (03-10-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 07:05 PM   #7
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone have any experience with Silvers Neomax coilovers on a frs or brz? I was trying to decide between Fortune Auto and RSR and saw someone on another forum say Silvers is Fortune Autos supplier. Tried to find a review of them for our cars, but came up empty. Also trying to decide if swifts would be worth it just for daily driving. And please dont recommend ST of some V3s. Looking for coilovers that adjust by a rotating bottom bracket.

Don’t the STs adjust with a rotating bottom bracket? But just one instead of two.

All the coils you mentioned I believe are manufactured by Bor Chun (BC Racing) but rebranded and slightly modified. They are not bad on a smooth track, but you may find them lacking in the street comfort category. Basically the high speed damping is pretty good but the low speed damping can be brutal.

I would personally look at Tein flex Z/A/CSG A, or if you end up being OK with ST’s, RCE and Greddy both have tuned variants for the 86.

But as @NoHaveMSG said, you may be best off getting a sport shock like the Bilstein B6 which is honestly pretty firm (in a good way) and will last you longer than the struts/shocks of all the aforementioned coilovers. Plus you can choose whichever spring you want to go with it. If you really do want to drop 2-3” I would choose the Bilstein b8 to keep a short lowering spring fully captive at all times.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 05:20 AM   #8
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
How to screw up your cars handling and ride - step by step!

3. Big drop on lowering springs
If it looks a racecar then it must handle like one, right? Unfortunately, it doesn't exactly work like that. A little drop can improve things with proper spring rates, but past an inch or more and you start making big compromises and riding the bumpstops before you even hit a bump. It's a sure way to downgrade your handling. Aftermarket shocks may help in some ways, but don't solve the travel problem.

4. Big drop on coilovers
With some coilovers you don't need to worry about bump travel as much, but geometry is still a concern when lowering 2 inches. A big change in roll center height and changes in the dynamic alignment can be felt from the driver's seat...and it feels sloppy.

I know what you're thinking. There are a ton of cars on here that hit the track and handle well with a lowered ride height. If you must have that really low center of gravity than you must use very firm spring rates (and then quality dampers to match) or use geometry correction parts. That's what the fast guys and girls at the track are doing....not slamming their crappy coilovers to the ground and expecting all to be well.

From
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67345

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (03-17-2022), nathand (03-17-2022), Racecomp Engineering (03-10-2022), x808drifter (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 06:54 AM   #9
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not a lot of coilovers are engineered for a 2-3" drop (due to the negative consequences mentioned above), but you're already looking at some of the few brands that do. So if you're dead set on going that low...

The RS-R Black-i have had favourable reviews on this platform (not to be confused with their Sports-i model, which is the more performance-oriented/moderate lowering model). And rather than typical pillowball top mounts, they use urethane bushings in their top mounts, so they probably have less NVH than the others. They're made in Japan, always had a good reputation, and been around since the 1980's.

Some reviews on this platform:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49980

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=1120073

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=1423221

The Fortune Auto SuperLow Spec comes with Swift springs as standard...unless you're looking at the regular 500 Series. The 500 Series they may not achieve the 2-3" drop you're looking for (I've read they don't go very low on this platform). However, the SuperLow Spec seems to be new, haven't seen any reviews about them...

I briefly researched Silvers Neomax in the past and also didn't find any reviews for this platform. Only found reviews on other platforms and that they're made in Taiwan (probably by BC Racing as mentioned above). I also recall reading somewhere that they are a supplier for Fortune Auto.

Due to the lack of experience/reviews of Silvers Neomax on this platform, you might be the guinea pig too if you go this route. And worth contacting them to see if their standard kit can even lower this platform 2-3". And their site doesn't mention what the "Super Low Kit" option entails, so probably worth asking about that too.

Whether Swift springs are worth the upgrade are subjective on a car that doesn't see a track/hard driving...maybe if you're keeping the car/coilovers long-term? They've got a reputation for maintaining consistent spring rates and performance (reaction speeds and travel).
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NLSP For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (03-17-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 08:42 AM   #10
Christian628

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
Not a lot of coilovers are engineered for a 2-3" drop (due to the negative consequences mentioned above), but you're already looking at some of the few brands that do. So if you're dead set on going that low...

The RS-R Black-i have had favourable reviews on this platform (not to be confused with their Sports-i model, which is the more performance-oriented/moderate lowering model). And rather than typical pillowball top mounts, they use urethane bushings in their top mounts, so they probably have less NVH than the others. They're made in Japan, always had a good reputation, and been around since the 1980's.

Some reviews on this platform:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49980

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=1120073

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=1423221

The Fortune Auto SuperLow Spec comes with Swift springs as standard...unless you're looking at the regular 500 Series. The 500 Series they may not achieve the 2-3" drop you're looking for (I've read they don't go very low on this platform). However, the SuperLow Spec seems to be new, haven't seen any reviews about them...

I briefly researched Silvers Neomax in the past and also didn't find any reviews for this platform. Only found reviews on other platforms and that they're made in Taiwan (probably by BC Racing as mentioned above). I also recall reading somewhere that they are a supplier for Fortune Auto.

Due to the lack of experience/reviews of Silvers Neomax on this platform, you might be the guinea pig too if you go this route. And worth contacting them to see if their standard kit can even lower this platform 2-3". And their site doesn't mention what the "Super Low Kit" option entails, so probably worth asking about that too.

Whether Swift springs are worth the upgrade are subjective on a car that doesn't see a track/hard driving...maybe if you're keeping the car/coilovers long-term? They've got a reputation for maintaining consistent spring rates and performance (reaction speeds and travel).

This is exactly the kind of response I was wanting! Ive read the post about ruining the car a while back and have a couple of comments and questions about some things said. Will update soon. Thank you so much.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christian628 For This Useful Post:
NLSP (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #11
Thefalls

Drives: Corolla GT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just to add something not mentioned above is that when you go lower than 1", you also run the risk of damaging your CV joints (rear Axles) in the long run.

So going that low is not recommended.
Thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thefalls For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 10:13 AM   #12
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
A friend runs silvers with a 255 squared RS4 setup.

Car feels great on the road, though he is maybe lowered 1 1/2 inches, 2 max.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #13
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefalls View Post
Just to add something not mentioned above is that when you go lower than 1", you also run the risk of damaging your CV joints (rear Axles) in the long run.

So going that low is not recommended.
Without a diff riser kit to fix the axle angle?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wally86 For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #14
Christian628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
Without a diff riser kit to fix the axle angle?

Is there one good for not adding a ton of nvh?