follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Modding squirrel finder

Anyone done it on the FR-S yet?

I instaled HID kits in my FR-S and my xB as well 2 weeks ago and am unsure whether the glare is an issue. Tried looking at all angles and parking one car facing the other etc and AFIK they are OK but if there's even a bit of excessive glare I want to correct it.

I would be interested in knowing if I can reach inside the lamp enclosure and manually bend it, do I need a needle nose or bent needle nose to do it or will hands suffice? Does the enclosure need to be baked open (no way I'll do that!!).
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Anyone done it on the FR-S yet?

I instaled HID kits in my FR-S and my xB as well 2 weeks ago and am unsure whether the glare is an issue. Tried looking at all angles and parking one car facing the other etc and AFIK they are OK but if there's even a bit of excessive glare I want to correct it.

I would be interested in knowing if I can reach inside the lamp enclosure and manually bend it, do I need a needle nose or bent needle nose to do it or will hands suffice? Does the enclosure need to be baked open (no way I'll do that!!).
You really need open the lights and install the correct projectors. However this might help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Those are your squirrel finders reflecting light, take out the HID bulbs and stick your finger into the housing and you should find these metal plates and just push them down as much as you can til it bottoms out and it should eliminate them. If not those areas will glare at other people.
for more info...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20728

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
Freeman (05-13-2013), HunterGreene (06-19-2013), wbradley (10-26-2012), Wes (10-26-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Update: Pulled out the H11 Xenon lamps and stuck my finger in the hole...

waddya know, on the bottom you can feel a thin steel piece parallel to the ground that reflects some light up. I just bent it down all the way with my finger and voila...totally dark above the cutoff!!

Now, on my xB it appears they get the squirrel catcher effect simply by a flattened area molded into the reflector itself. In other words it can't be bent down. Through microsurgery or opening the whole light assy. one could paint the bottom plate area black but that's WAY too much work/risk for a very mildly annoying issue.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Need quick diy help. HID install and bending the squirrel finder down. I bent down the thin tab close to the back that is already angled sliightly down with room under it (not totally flat). It seems like its not a clean cutoff still but big glare. Did i bend the right part or should I have bent down in front of it?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Avo1789

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Need quick diy help. HID install and bending the squirrel finder down. I bent down the thin tab close to the back that is already angled sliightly down with room under it (not totally flat). It seems like its not a clean cutoff still but big glare. Did i bend the right part or should I have bent down in front of it?
Yesterday I installed my HID kit and bent down the tabs (toward the back of the housing) and got good results... not a super clean cutoff but much better than it was before.
Avo1789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avo1789 View Post
Yesterday I installed my HID kit and bent down the tabs (toward the back of the housing) and got good results... not a super clean cutoff but much better than it was before.
Thanks. I did too. Then I went and did it much harder along with adjusting the headlight and got a pretty good cut off. Once you bend it all the way (you think) press down harder.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bending those might give you a crooked cutoff.

I retrofit headlights for a hobby and I have this pair with the squirrel finders blocked with epoxy gum. My test HID kits will be coming in tomorrow so wait for my pics here.

PS: I have another pair with a proper HID projector installed. The light output blows the stock away.

-Sent from outer space