follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #1009
Little Mt. Fuji

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, that sucks -

Hopefully the dealership will make it right.

If not, I suggest you sell what's left of it, take public transportation or bike or walk to classes, focus on your studies, graduate, get a good job - then buy another car.

Pretty straightforward - huh - ?

PS - you have the rest of your life to waste on cars -

humfrz
Thanks humfrz, hoping for a lot of pieces of sealant in the oil just so I can blame it on the tech and dealer... if anything I gonna try to have them inspect the oil, oil filter and pull the pan off to inspect the pick up tube. Its a good thing I didnt sell the highschool car.

Im as straight forward as it gets

Yes I hope to waste tons and tons of money on worthless vehicles that I will never see a return on. (unless you own a A80 Supra or GTR)
Little Mt. Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Mt. Fuji For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-09-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #1010
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Looks like the Toyota document was updated on 6/20. Indicates “added caution for knock pin installation”

I’m in an airport and couldn’t find the update in the documents. It’s impossible to put anything in order, I haven’t figured out I how the file naming convention goes.

Here’s the first page, not sure which others go with it.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-9195.pdf

The others are in here. Somewhere.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...72&docType=RCL
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (07-12-2019), Tcoat (07-10-2019), Ultramaroon (07-10-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:19 AM   #1011
marco1ca

Drives: Toyota Celica
(Supercharger or recall work 1st?) Hi everyone; I am scheduled to take my 2013 BRZ in on Tuesday for the valve replacement. It has 25k miles. Here's the dilemma; I also have just ordered an Edelbrock Supercharger to be installed after I get my car back. I"m assuming its best to get the recall work done first, then the SC install. My concern is this... If I have issues after the valve spring replacement, am I SOL because they will just blame any future problems on my new mod? It makes me question if I should install the SC first. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated, especially as I"m investing several thousands of dollars I"ve worked hard for. Thanks
marco1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:31 AM   #1012
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1ca View Post
(Supercharger or recall work 1st?) Hi everyone; I am scheduled to take my 2013 BRZ in on Tuesday for the valve replacement. It has 25k miles. Here's the dilemma; I also have just ordered an Edelbrock Supercharger to be installed after I get my car back. I"m assuming its best to get the recall work done first, then the SC install. My concern is this... If I have issues after the valve spring replacement, am I SOL because they will just blame any future problems on my new mod? It makes me question if I should install the SC first. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated, especially as I"m investing several thousands of dollars I"ve worked hard for. Thanks
Well, if it were me, I would blow off the recall work and install the SC.

Or, if you're dead set on having the recall work done, have it done, drive it for a thousand or so miles then, if it's still running, install the SC.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 05:21 AM   #1013
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

If you not in Cali don't do the recall plain and simple and slap that fucker on ASAP , if you are in Cali get the recall wrk done and sit on the kit till you have put at least 2500 miles on her to make sure she is good .
I live in Cali and have the jrsc kit , had to pay 5 bills to have them remove and reinstall the kit to do the recall . I get the car back after recall and it is getting hotter than normal and they said blows head gaskets , car has never over heated and has had kit for over 3 years . Subaru of modesto stated over heat had nothing to do with recall and it was my super charger , they end up charging me for head set replacement , to then say that the jackracing oil cooler radiator had a internal fracture that was causing the over heat . Then oil cooler radiator was fine before the recall and had it bout 2 years , after the recall it fractures internally ???? Wtf .... I replace it with mishimoto radiator because I can't afford the Jr oilcooler radiator again . I get the car back after providing dealer with mishimoto radiator and the drain plug is dripping coolant and was never tightened that I was able to loosen it with fingers. They kept the car over a two month process....... it's been mess and I'm worried bout it just fucking up now but I digress .
Simple if you don't live in Cali don't get it done . I wouldn't . My car hasn't had issues till they touched it for recall work . There is a gentleman here in Modesto that is starting a lawsuit and you guys want to get his info let me know .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #1014
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Skip the recall. Install the blower.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #1015
marco1ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
If you not in Cali don't do the recall plain and simple and slap that fucker on ASAP , if you are in Cali get the recall wrk done and sit on the kit till you have put at least 2500 miles on her to make sure she is good ...
Thanks for this but I feel awful about what happened to you. I sure hope one day you get your justice with them. I do live in Monterey CA, and this is confusing the shit out me. A part me says to just skip the recall, but still not sure.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #1016
marco1ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Skip the recall. Install the blower.
Thank you. To note: I live in CA. If I skip the recall, what about the possibility of future valve spring failure? This really sucks! I can't find where the percentage of people who have NOT done the recall have experienced engine failure do the the valve springs.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #1017
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thank you. To note: I live in CA. If I skip the recall, what about the possibility of future valve spring failure? This really sucks! I can't find where the percentage of people who have NOT done the recall have experienced engine failure do the the valve springs.
I haven't seen any proof that the recall will actually get in the way of smogging. Hopefully you install a CARB SC. I think the valve spring failures are very rare, rarer than failed engines after the recall. I did get the recall, which helped stop a bunch of oil leaks, but I have to deal with the anxiety of whether or not the car will go kaboom. I haven't changed the oil yet, and I'm only 1500 miles in, or so. I'm going to change oil in a few months, with a fine screen to capture any gunk in the oil. I'll also video it. Then I'll send it off to Blackstone or the like for a test that will measure, among other things, silicone.

That said, I run her hard and good, and she does just fine.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #1018
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
new plate. who dis?

xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
maslin (07-13-2019), MasonL1997 (07-13-2019), trvth (07-15-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #1019
Storm_Trooper

Drives: FR-S
Got my recall done. Also had the clutch and spark plugs replaced while they were in there.

Drove it twice out about 25 miles on it. Third startup I have CEL and traction control lights on. Used my OFT to check codes. P0455 and P0441. Both seem to be related to evap issues. I’m not a mechanic by any means. Guess I’ll call them Monday?

Cheers!
Storm_Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #1020
Little Mt. Fuji

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
I would definitely wait till after 3000 miles or 3 months till you install any engine or drivetrain components if you get the recall done. Some have experienced issues after 500 miles and some after 4 months after the recall. I experienced rod knock and declined oil pressure after 1600 miles.
Little Mt. Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Mt. Fuji For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 02:41 AM   #1021
Norotor

Drives: '13 FRS '18 WRX
Quote:
Thanks for this but I feel awful about what happened to you. I sure hope one day you get your justice with them. I do live in Monterey CA, and this is confusing the shit out me. A part me says to just skip the recall, but still not sure.

There's a member here from California who was able to register his car recently without doing the recall. I've just been sent the dmv registration due letter, and it says nothing about me not being able to register without doing the recall. My guess is that maybe it'll apply to next year and I'll have to do the recall before then, but this year seems good to go.
Norotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #1022
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I haven't seen any proof that the recall will actually get in the way of smogging. Hopefully you install a CARB SC. I think the valve spring failures are very rare, rarer than failed engines after the recall. I did get the recall, which helped stop a bunch of oil leaks, but I have to deal with the anxiety of whether or not the car will go kaboom. I haven't changed the oil yet, and I'm only 1500 miles in, or so. I'm going to change oil in a few months, with a fine screen to capture any gunk in the oil. I'll also video it. Then I'll send it off to Blackstone or the like for a test that will measure, among other things, silicone.

That said, I run her hard and good, and she does just fine.
I wonder how useful an oil analysis will be for predicting this specific issue? It seems that most of the sealant gunk would be stuck on the oil pickup screen, in oil passages and in the oil filter and would not necessarily show up in the few ounces of oil sent off to Blackstone. I guess it won’t hurt to have the UOA done... but it won’t change the outcome if the engine does end up failing.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-14-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue