follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #15
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Try to take the fast turns fast, and the slow turns slow. Beginners often do the opposite.

And don't drink the night before.
That only works if you know which ones which lol...

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
Sapphireho (09-20-2017), strat61caster (09-23-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #16
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattran86 View Post
i'll be there, you can get a ride a long with me if you'd like, Looking for the white 13 FRS with TRD spoiler and TOM's Taillights.

Confirmed Dat will be sending it
Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #17
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
That only works if you know which ones which lol...
Part of the whole beginner thing.

In my years of autox and solo here in NorCal, everyone was super nice and willing to help. They need new people all the time to help pay for everything, or it dies. Don't be afraid to ask people for help. When I was a beginner in the 80's I would park next to the guy who had his car on a trailer and stickers on his car and pick his brain. Don't be afraid to ask the experienced guys to walk the track with them for help. I've been out of that for a while now, but I can't recall anyone ever not willing to help me, and when I was a veteran, I helped all I could. Race people are usually very cool. Here is me in 1992.
Attached Images

Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Frost (09-20-2017), strat61caster (09-23-2017), TorontoNat (09-21-2017), wparsons (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #18
KL

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool to see that so many twins will be out, I'm looking forward to my first PITL of the season lol. RIP my schedule this year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
KL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KL For This Useful Post:
TorontoNat (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #19
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehda View Post
Confirmed Dat will be sending it

If I'm not sending it. who will, am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my website:
http://www.aim4apex.com/
IG: aimforapex
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #20
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

AHEM.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:48 PM   #21
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Quote:

I'm trying something out Sunday to give me a bit of an advantage in C mod to take on the triumph that always wins... let's get an 86 in podium of c mod, a mod and a stock!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #22
dattran86
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehda View Post
I'm trying something out Sunday to give me a bit of an advantage in C mod to take on the triumph that always wins... let's get an 86 in podium of c mod, a mod and a stock!
the closes i have come is 2nd place in A Mod, I will never be able to beat Yang in the miata

Check out my website:
Old 09-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #23
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

14 86s and a brz joining me in C mod!!! See you all tmrw
Old 09-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #24
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
My first autocross experience was pretty eye-opening when it comes to driving fast in other-than-a-straight-line. You will very likely get addicted to this, fair warning. There are more costly vices out there, though, right?

Try to get good rest the night before. It can really make a difference in your concentration.

Make sure your tires aren't underinflated.

Do the pedal dance before you go out on the course. The stability nannies will throw off what you're feeling with the car if they step in during your run.

You're very likely to, like I did, walk the course a few times in the morning and think "Ok, I think I've got it, not too bad" and then once you're out there and take your first turn, you look up again and all you can see is a sea of cones with no idea what to do next. That happened on my first run, and the only reason I got through was because I had an instructor sitting next to me guiding me through. After that I got some more confidence and sped up through the day, but it started to rain after lunch, and on my first run out in the rain I had another moment halfway through the course where I took a turn and had no idea where to go all over again and missed a gate. No instructor with me that time.

It's easy to want to get right to going out by yourself and running solo, but even after doing this for about 5 years now I still take one of the instructors with me on my first run if I can, and focus more on getting the course right than being fast out of the gate. If you blow your first run, it's very likely to make the rest of the day tougher until you get a good, clean run in. Better to get it in early and have a good baseline to work off of.

Even when you start to feel more comfortable out there, don't feel bad about taking an instructor with you to start your day or if you keep having trouble with the course. It's especially good when you find an instructor that you gel with (and/or who drives a similar vehicle) because the more comfortable you are out there, the less unnecessary thinking you'll find yourself doing. To me that's probably the easiest and best thing you can do for yourself is take instructors with you as often as you can, and gradually build up your momentum through the day as you gain confidence in yourself and what the car can do before it reaches its limits.

At the very least, having another person with you puts some weight on the right side of the car, which will help balance the car out better on right turns.

Keep looking up and looking ahead, and not just through the windshield. You've got three pieces of glass to see through, so don't be afraid to use your neck muscles and turn to see as much as you can before you drive up to it.

If you hit a cone, you hit it. Forget about it and keep focused on what's next. Thinking about that cone is just going to snowball into more mistakes ahead since you're not thinking about what's ahead of you. Think about it after you finish the run.

Don't expect to blow the doors off the car on the first run or even the first day. Have fun, and enjoy learning just how much you can really do with this car. This is the kind of thing the car was built for.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
Frost (09-25-2017), strat61caster (09-23-2017), TorontoNat (09-25-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 09:12 PM   #25
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would get comfortable at the limit with the 5 second hold method before trying the pedal dance.

My last autocross vehicle (base model 350Z in STU trim) had no traction control and no stability control. The only difference between the FRS with the 5 second hold method and the Z with no nannies at all is the FRS vary rarely has diff assist kick in. (Like 3 times over an entire season.)
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-23-2017), TorontoNat (09-25-2017), wparsons (09-24-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #26
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

BEST.TIME.EVER

Cannot wait until next year already. Gonna buy some bridgestones and a back sway bar over the winter to prepare but man.... Never been so satisfied with a day in my life. Eye opener to say the least.

Thanks for all the great advice. Didn't get to meet as many of you as I would have liked (@frost) but the excitement is now real and I am sure there will be many opportunities in the future. I was advised that SPADA will be doing autoX courses beginign of next year before the season starts and I will be doing this 100%.

Managed to set 2 times out of 4 runs. It is exactly as @Overdrive and others said it would be... You think you got it after the 5 walks but you get out there and face nothing but a sea of cones. Managed to set a time on the first go and improve by 7s on it the second time I made it without going offtrack so I am happy about that however the other two runs I got wayyy too excited.

Here is a pic. Cheers all

Last edited by TorontoNat; 09-25-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: picture not showing up
TorontoNat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorontoNat For This Useful Post:
Frost (09-26-2017), KL (09-25-2017), Overdrive (09-26-2017), strat61caster (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #27
KL

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice, the autox bug gets another one lol. Glad to hear you had fun. Too bad I couldn't make it, was it as crowded as the registration list made it seem?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
KL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KL For This Useful Post:
TorontoNat (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #28
dattran86
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post

BEST.TIME.EVER

Cannot wait until next year already. Gonna buy some bridgestones and a back sway bar over the winter to prepare but man.... Never been so satisfied with a day in my life. Eye opener to say the least.

Thanks for all the great advice. Didn't get to meet as many of you as I would have liked (@frost) but the excitement is now real and I am sure there will be many opportunities in the future. I was advised that SPADA will be doing autoX courses beginign of next year before the season starts and I will be doing this 100%.

Managed to set 2 times out of 4 runs. It is exactly as @Overdrive and others said it would be... You think you got it after the 5 walks but you get out there and face nothing but a sea of cones. Managed to set a time on the first go and improve by 7s on it the second time I made it without going offtrack so I am happy about that however the other two runs I got wayyy too excited.

Here is a pic. Cheers all
with a sway bar you will jump into my class, A Mod.

lets have some fierce friendly competition next season then

Check out my website:
The Following User Says Thank You to dattran86 For This Useful Post:
TorontoNat (09-25-2017)