follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #85
Skurge

Drives: 84 RX-7/13' FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Not a problem - I am just lazy and wouldn't remove the rear wheel, if there is no need to do so ....

In my little BMW I get the bike in with only the front wheel removed. So that's why I just wonder, if the BRZ's trunk is really much shorter (after folding the back seats in both cars).....

i can fit my 26" mtn bike in with just the front wheel removed, not hard to do at all
Skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #86
FitchAlcyone

Drives: 2019 BRZ Series.Gray
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Okay, I finally got around to "installing" my Seasucker mount and giving the thing a test-drive.

Installation is pretty easy, all you need are the mounts and a bottle of water (to help with the suction). One thing to keep in mind though is that the location of your mount is always going to ever-so-slightly change. After setting the front mount and putting the front wheel fork in place, I'd have to (gently) set the rear wheel down directly on the roof to get the placement for the rear Seasucker. This probably doesn't have to occur if you have two people doing the install, and maybe after a few times doing it you can gauge where you'll need the mounts before throwing the bike up there.

And the million-dollar question: How does it behave on the highway? I was a little nervous trying this, but figured if it's going to fly off I might as well try it sooner than later! I took my installed Seasucker and bike down the highway for about twenty minutes at an average speed of 62mph and didn't have any issues. While you can't see the suction pumps (which kind of show you if you're losing suction) while in the car, you can attach the front Seasucker to your front windshield and see the "crosshairs" underneath, which seem to indicate by the middle that your suction is still okay (check the picture below). Only downside to using one mount on the front is that your passenger wiper will not clear, so keep this in mind if you anticipate any precipitation. After the highway run, I checked the pumps and all were still fully "in," meaning all suction was essentially retained.

As some pointers from experience, make sure your front fork clamp tightens nicely on your bike's frame. This is kind of a given, but I didn't do it quite enough and after the first speed bump at my apartment the bike wobbled a good bit and gave me a minor anxiety attack. Second, if you do order from Seasucker, invest in one or both of the cable anchors that they sell as an extra. Since nothing truly attaches to the car, you will want to get one of these and a cable lock if you plan on making any stops with your bike up on the roof.

In my opinion...

Pros:
+ Perfect option for the paint freaks (me)
+ On and off installation is (more or less) quick
+ Easy to store away
+ Looks cool

Cons:
- Expensive
- Inconsistent mounting location
- More investment needed for theft prevention
- More susceptible to installation error (has to be repeated and no true anchor)

This is still my favorite choice, even without trying some other methods here I am confident with that answer. The only other option I would possibly take would be a Yakima setup, but I don't know the costs involved and there's the paint contact issue.

Let me know if you have any questions!

FitchAlcyone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FitchAlcyone For This Useful Post:
8RZ (05-22-2019), jetfire (02-21-2014), radroach (09-26-2013), Vic4uf (06-22-2016)
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #87
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
That's awesome and great review! I haven't pulled the trigger for a new set to use on the BRZ, but's it's on the list.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #88
AUmarvin

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchAlcyone View Post
Okay, I finally got around to "installing" my Seasucker mount and giving the thing a test-drive.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Have you tried mounting it backwards, Or with the front sucktion on the roof and the rear wheel on the rear glass? You never know when you might need the wipers.
AUmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #89
FitchAlcyone

Drives: 2019 BRZ Series.Gray
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUmarvin View Post
Have you tried mounting it backwards, Or with the front sucktion on the roof and the rear wheel on the rear glass? You never know when you might need the wipers.
Yeah, I am thinking of other ways it can be done so it won't obstruct the windshield. However, simply moving the mount location back didn't work too well because the area the front Seasucker covered sort of overlapped where the "roof crease" (the actual term escapes me right now) is, which probably affects suction. I know someone else posted a picture they found of a Hot Lava with the bike facing backwards. This will solve the space issue since the rear Seasucker is small, but the instructions say the bike should only be mounted forward-facing. Not quite sure why, exactly, but I'm not going to risk it.

I've only mounted the bike once so far, but I'll give more input as I keep using it. For front-of-roof/rear windshield combo, I imagine mounting the rack right at the center of the car (as opposed to passenger side, like I did before) should work okay.
FitchAlcyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #90
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
How about something like Jon Olsson's R8, but with a bike rack instead :p
Attached Images

chas3wba0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #91
grymes

Drives: white frs
custom made by yours truely

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

made the bike rack mount my self and did the plastidip and white letters . also lots of decent vinyl you cant see in the pic , its a lease so i did everything reversable
grymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #92
curtdragon

Drives: Acura TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thongpocket View Post

What parts did you use? Yakima doesn't have a fit kit for the car
curtdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #93
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Has anyone successfully gotten a DH bike in our trunk with out removal of the handle bars?

I can fit my AM bike in there no problem. But that is because the handle bars will turn and lay flat along side the frame. Not gonna be the same with a triple crown fork.

Just wondering if anyone has managed to finagle one in the back of our car.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #94
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Has anyone successfully gotten a DH bike in our trunk with out removal of the handle bars?

I can fit my AM bike in there no problem. But that is because the handle bars will turn and lay flat along side the frame. Not gonna be the same with a triple crown fork.

Just wondering if anyone has managed to finagle one in the back of our car.
Not gonna happen. Best bet is to install a hitch and use a hitch rack.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #95
MagicMexican

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium

What about a 'universal' trunk mount bike rack like this? I'd be a little hesitant about the little hooks messing up the paint, but maybe some 3m foam tape?

I am also curious if someone has done a snowboard rack. So far, my snowboard fits fine if I fold the seats down...
MagicMexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #96
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I tried a strap rack. I got less than a mile from home before I turned around and took it off. Granted I had two mt bikes on there and it wasn't a lightweight rack but when I hit bumps and the bikes came down I could see the leading edge of the trunk lid in my rearview mirror. Our lid is so thin and light and the bumper is so thin and flexible that I think it's a horrible idea. YMMV if you're only transporting a light road bike with a light duty rack but I wouldn't do it.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #97
MagicMexican

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Our lid is so thin and light and the bumper is so thin and flexible that I think it's a horrible idea. YMMV if you're only transporting a light road bike with a light duty rack but I wouldn't do it.
That is a very good point. Looks like I'll be looking into the price of that Yakima roof rack or into one of those trailer hitch options. Thanks!
MagicMexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #98
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Not gonna happen. Best bet is to install a hitch and use a hitch rack.
Probably just going to end up doing the Sea Sucker. As sketchy as it seems I've only heard good things about it.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote