follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #239
D4S BRZ

Drives: 2013 D4S BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4S BRZ View Post
So I just realized that my fog lights aren’t turning on. The switch and indicator on the dash work fine but the light themselves don’t turn on. Not sure how long it’s been like this but I just recently noticed it. I don’t think it’s been too long though. For reference it’s a 2013 BRZ with stock fogs/bulbs. Only light mod are the smoked helix, which we haven’t had any problems with and have been in the car forever with no issues. Fuses all checked out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem solved. Looks like both bulbs but the dust I just figured that would’ve not been the case seeing as both are out. Oh well, that just means, upgrade time!

D4S BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #240
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4S BRZ View Post
Problem solved. Looks like both bulbs but the dust I just figured that would’ve not been the case seeing as both are out. Oh well, that just means, upgrade time!

One bulb going out can sometimes cause a small surge that can blow the other one which itself was just vary hanging on as well.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #241
D4S BRZ

Drives: 2013 D4S BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
One bulb going out can sometimes cause a small surge that can blow the other one which itself was just vary hanging on as well.

Oh interesting! Good to know! Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated and I’ll keep that in mind for any future dx.

D4S BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #242
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
What about those that went FI, where do we mount that giant light bar without blocking the intake?
if you spend the proper money you can get LED pods that fit your OEM fog light spot, that are as bright or brighter than most 12" LED bars. gotta pay to play though.

Squadron Pros by baja designs are brighter than our headlights in raw lm's. the lenses are easily changeable as well so you can get the focus'd beam pattern you want.

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #243
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
What about those that went FI, where do we mount that giant light bar without blocking the intake?
+1 baja designs. Oem fog location, doesn't interfere with the intercooler at all

HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #244
Shadybaby316

Drives: 86
Hello,
I have a Toyota 86 2013 automatic Japanese one which comes with winjet headlights.

I am planning to get aftermarket vland headlights and would like to customize them with demon eyes (not halos) and I want the boomerang / led white strip to be sequentential + color change + switchback.

As I have researched I got to know I need to get blueghozt controller with addressable led replacing the boomerang LEDs in vland.

Is there any risk that you foresee doing such mod? Also how would I be able to connect both demon eyes + addressable strip to blueghozt controller?

Is there any other similar mod available which would require less of wiring and customizing ? And would there be a problem fitting and installing the Vlands into Toyota 86 2013 model?
Shadybaby316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #245
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadybaby316 View Post
Hello,
I have a Toyota 86 2013 automatic Japanese one which comes with winjet headlights.

I am planning to get aftermarket vland headlights and would like to customize them with demon eyes (not halos) and I want the boomerang / led white strip to be sequential + color change + switchback.

As I have researched I got to know I need to get blueghozt controller with addressable led replacing the boomerang LEDs in vland.

Is there any risk that you foresee doing such mod? Also how would I be able to connect both demon eyes + addressable strip to blueghozt controller?

Is there any other similar mod available which would require less of wiring and customizing ? And would there be a problem fitting and installing the Vlands into Toyota 86 2013 model?
Any type of after market LED especially RGB will not be as reliable as oem lighting. With enough time and patience you really can make your lights look/do anything. At the cost of it something fails, you will be unhappy. The more led lighting you add the higher the chance of 1 item failing which could ruin the build for you.

Just food for thought.

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #246
AzBdBy

Drives: Scion FR-S
I just had my headlights replaced after someone backed into the front of my car. I have a 2013 FRS. I purchased the Morimoto XB LED headlights with sequential turns. The body shop installed them, but did not hook up the DRL which I took care of. I do not have any turn signals other than the factory one below the headlight. Instructions are pretty bad, but it they do not seem to address the turn signal hookup. I can go start measuring the wires and figure out which ones need to be spliced for power, but these are suppose to be plug and play. Since my headlights did not have any turns built in the wiring would need to have a plug to go to the turns which I do not see. These are multiyear and have multiple extra plugs that are not utilized on my year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
AzBdBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #247
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBdBy View Post
I just had my headlights replaced after someone backed into the front of my car. I have a 2013 FRS. I purchased the Morimoto XB LED headlights with sequential turns. The body shop installed them, but did not hook up the DRL which I took care of. I do not have any turn signals other than the factory one below the headlight. Instructions are pretty bad, but it they do not seem to address the turn signal hookup. I can go start measuring the wires and figure out which ones need to be spliced for power, but these are suppose to be plug and play. Since my headlights did not have any turns built in the wiring would need to have a plug to go to the turns which I do not see. These are multiyear and have multiple extra plugs that are not utilized on my year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I spliced the turn signal from my Spec-D headlights into the turn signals below the lights. Worked for me. When I had side markers with turn signals I daisy chained it into it too with no problems.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #248
AzBdBy

Drives: Scion FR-S
Thanks for the reply. I figured I could do that, but they were suppose to be plug and play
AzBdBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #249
89_Manny

Drives: Firestorm FR-S '13
Garage
2013 Scion FR-S

I’ve searched and seen reviews for god light replacements. One bulb has burnt out and so I would like to replace both. I’m looking into doing a yellow type bulb. What is my best option that has longevity life span but also as strong as the oem bulbs?
Thank you

89_Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #250
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@89_Manny

I would go with a Sylvania brand yellow bulb. Don't recommend putting yellow HIDs in there as it scatters the light and is unusable.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #251
89_Manny

Drives: Firestorm FR-S '13
Garage
Quote:
@89_Manny

I would go with a Sylvania brand yellow bulb. Don't recommend putting yellow HIDs in there as it scatters the light and is unusable.

Thank you. I was thinking of some LEDs but I wasn’t sure and I also thought of some Sylvania but I was one the fence about it.
Thank you for the help!

89_Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:48 AM   #252
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I’m going to upgrade my wife’s Audi Q5. The stock light output of the D3S Philips bulbs is shit for HIDs. My Morimtos are much better, even at 6500k. I was thinking of doing new HID bulbs for the headlights then doing dual LED fog lights. Does anyone have any experience with these types of bulbs? The idea is to have a white fog light and a yellow/amber fog light for when it is actually foggy. I think the low LED bulb will complement the HID by saturating the field up close. I don’t want a LED that disperses light all over and blinds oncoming drivers, so I don’t know if I need to retrofit projectors, and I don’t want it to significantly different in output from the headlights, so it all matches. Does anybody have any ideas?
Just FYI, I bought the DeAutoLED dual LED fog lights, which work well. There is enough scatter that the LEDs aren't blinding for other drivers if they are on at night, but there is enough brightness that they do a decent job of saturating the ground at close range.

I swapped to 5500k bulbs on my car, and I bought some D3S Morimoto bulbs for the wife's car. The 5500k bulbs look more white when looking at my car than the 6500k, which looked a little bluish. The light that illuminates the road from the 5500k looks more amber/white up close like against a building or the back of a car and white/blue at distance; the 6500k was more white/blue up close and blue/purple at distance, which was too much for me. The 5500k is better.

I was expecting improvements for my wife's Audi, and we do prefer the light color of the 5500k Morimotos when looking at the bumper and with how it illuminates the road. There is a subtle improvement in light output over the stock bulbs, even though the kelvin is higher. What I was expecting was the output to be transformed. Little did I realize was that my wife's Audi has distortion built into her projector lenses. I don't know if the stock BRZ's headlights have some opaqueness to the lenses, but the Vland's are definitely clear, and because of it, the cut off line is very sharp and the illumination is more intense. My guess is that a clear projector lens retrofit would vastly improve the light output. The caveat to that is that the cut off line can be so defining that if the car is bouncing over road bumps, the headlight beam can flick up and blind people. This isn't really an issue because her car has auto-leveling headlights. I don't know why they don't make have the lens clear or something to get better light output. I don't think we will be cracking open the headlights anytime in order to swap lenses.

Another thought that came to mind was the nature of our cars. I feel like I said this before, but having a low car is kind of a pain for illuminating the road. If the goal is to have a drop over some distance, so that light is not pointed up, as that would blind people far down the road, then that means that our cars are barely shining very high above the ground. A big truck can have his lights slightly pointed to the ground and be illuminating much more of the traffic ahead. He can have his lights hitting below the side mirrors of the car ahead of him and still hit the next car. On the other hand, my light are barely striking the tires or bumper of the car driving in front of me, and they don't even touch the next car down the road. If pedestrians are walking on the side of the road at night then the truck is illuminating them from the waist down, and I am illuminating them from the shin down. I can correct this by pointing my headlight up at a slight angle, but the HIDs penetrate so far down road that I can see that I am lighting up an entire person way down road. I suppose that is just the reality of low life; we either can't see or we blind someone.