follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I haven't played both, so I can't say which I prefer really. What I can say is that since Forza 2, I've been swayed over. Played GT a ton up through 4, and then decided I didn't care to own a PS3 and an Xbox 360.

What I can say is that almost everyone I know that has both have now stopped playing GT5 and switched over to Forza 4. What I also can say is that Forza 4 is a great upgrade in presentation, technology, graphics, and lighting over Forza 3. Been playing 4 almost every night since it came out.

edit to chaoskaze's post: Burnout is still the best arcade racer of all time, imo.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #16
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's actually the same thing that happened to me. Through GT1-4 I was a huge GT fan, because it really was the best racing game out there. When Forza 2 came out, I had the opinion that they were both roughly equal (F2 and GT4). Then after F3 came out and GT5 was still being delayed, I entirely switched over to Forza. Now that F4 and GT5 are out, I've compared them and the Forza series really has passed GT IMO.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
dalli

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
so how about F4 vs gt5 driving physics?
dalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalli View Post
so how about F4 vs gt5 driving physics?
[u2b]tdXFlO8qlyU[/u2b]

but I won't be bias here

[u2b]bx_OpvyjZiw[/u2b]

But GT5 is better as far as driving physics goes.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
I'm not one for inconsistancy... To me it's very poor to make one car (much) more detailed than another.
Forza 4's interiors aren't quite as good as GT5's premium cars, but they are definitely up-to-par. Although Forza 4's Interiors ARE better than GT5's standard car interiors.
So, shitty is better so long as it's consistently shitty...lol. I'm just kidding. I have to disagree, F4's interior is better than some of the interior of the Standard cars. Of the standard cars that have an instrumentation interior (like the Formula One car for example), the standard car's interior looks on par with F4. I don't think that is enough though to negate the handling of cars.

Quote:
Jeremy's voice is only on one of the "points" (of which there are many for each car), you can choose to ignore those ones if you wish - they're the ones with the gear around the information point. The rest of them are done by the narrator of the rest of the game.
Is it possible to turn off though? Or can you make the narrator of the rest of the game talk about the other parts that Jeremy is suppose to. It's kinda like Vaughn Jr. in Shift 2. I didn't look in detail, but I don't think you can turn his voice off. I don't need a pep talk before I'm about to start every race...or someone telling me the obvious (go when the light turns green).

Quote:
How is it like Shift 2? Because of the race-drivers starring in Shift 2? It's not like that at all, to be honest.
The mention of Physics was summed up as...."The physics still have the Forza feel to them". If that's the case, the physics are better than Shift 2, but still have that artificial feel to them. In Shift 2 there is no "road surface" feel at all.

Quote:
No, they don't, maybe you're comparing it to Forza 3? Also, SOME of the standard cars look very bad in GT5, not all of them (the ones they imported from GT4 are the bad looking ones, the others are reasonable, though still not as good as Forza IMO)

The Veyron in the videos above were GT5 and Forza4, not Forza3. And GT5's Standard Veyron looks the same as Forza4's Veyron. Not all standard cars look like crap in GT5 though so they have varying levels I reckon. The ported over ones are far and few, I honestly have never seen anyone other than AI drive a ported over car.

Quote:
That's the thing - Forza 4 is a finished game, any DLC is an add-on, not something they've had to go back and fix because they've run out of time after delaying the game for a couple of years already.
So, you have to pay for your fixes. A fix would be better AI for example. While we had good AI from the release, they bettered the AI even more and we updated it for free. Don't see how that's a bad thing imo... It's not like they handed out a half but game from the get go. It was still a sick SIM Racer from day one. Then it morphed into more/better content.

Quote:
I really think you need to go and play Forza 4, it's a big improvement over 3, even though it may not seem it at first glance. I've played both games and Forza is just better. You have to play both games to be able to make an opinion on that!
I'm a little disappointed that they didn't change the AI, and they still have permanent active steering in it. It shows me that they still are not ready to step up to cater to the more mature and more serious racers. I'm going to have to hold off actually buying a 360 and perhaps only rent it and go over my boy's house. I will be playing it with a scrutinizing hand though, just being honest. I'm about feel and handling of the car. If the cars still float like Forza3 on the road surface it's not even close to being better. I'm a simple man when it comes to visual aids (car customizing) and 100% about driving physics. I have Shift 2 also and it is VERY nice on the visual aids and car modeling. But that game pisses me off to no end and negates the cars you drive because the handling is FUBAR!
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
^ Haha, that's exactly how I see this thing turning out.

Seriously though - Dragonitti really needs to go and TRY Froza 4 for a while before flat-out saying GT5 is better

The reviews and comparo videos is what's causing me recant of wanting to buy a 360 so I can play this game. If it's a better Shift 2, then it won't make it through my door. Headlight painting doesn't give me much hope though. That's some Ricer shit right there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
I haven't played both, so I can't say which I prefer really. What I can say is that since Forza 2, I've been swayed over. Played GT a ton up through 4, and then decided I didn't care to own a PS3 and an Xbox 360.

What I can say is that almost everyone I know that has both have now stopped playing GT5 and switched over to Forza 4. What I also can say is that Forza 4 is a great upgrade in presentation, technology, graphics, and lighting over Forza 3. Been playing 4 almost every night since it came out.

edit to chaoskaze's post: Burnout is still the best arcade racer of all time, imo.

I did the same thing too when Shift 2 came out. I put GT5 down and put time in Shift 2. Then slowly started hating the game and went back to GT5. Now I only play Shift 2 JUST so I can finish the game and get it over with. This one race pissed me off to no end, because it embodied everything crappy about the whole game in one race.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #21
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Tonight, first time I've played Forza 4 (my friend bought it). My feedback on Forza 4? Not bad... but is it better than GT5? IDK, they both of pros & cons. I can see why a lot of ppl are saying Forza 4 is the best racing game (so far). I'm used to GT5, so had hard time get used to the controller & the physics, but it was entertaining.

Bottom line: If I have xbox am I gonna buy Forza 4? Absolutely... but am I gonna play long as GT5 have? Don't think so... that equal to GT5 is better? No, they're both good in different areas.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #22
Dragonitti
Banned

^^I ask myself sometimes...Is there an end to GT5? I still haven't even completed the game and I've been playing it on a regular since it came out. It's just MASSIVE in Content.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #23
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
^^I ask myself sometimes...Is there an end to GT5? I still haven't even completed the game and I've been playing it on a regular since it came out. It's just MASSIVE in Content.
i dont know about that. i think things just kinda get impossible or really have diminishing returns. there really isnt any driving factor once you get the redbull car. i cant see myself doing any endurance races anymore and the nascar race at daytona is pretty fucking annoying
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #24
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
I was a hardcore GT1-3 fan until I got Forza1 on my Xbox. The two games were night and day different back then. Sony's tried to play catchup with GT5, and they're not too far behind in the important categories, but they're still more focused on the pretty factor and less on the overall gameplay and IMO physics too.

With this generation of consoles, the 360 will always be at a hardware disadvantage, but they make cutbacks where they're least important. I'll take a game that isn't as aesthetically pleasing, but has more user friendliness with its features and driving realism over a graphically superior game with more of the same.

GT5 has a higher quantity of cars, but Forza4 translates them to a videogame model much better.

This is the first console game I've purchased in over 2 years. I had no intention of buying it either. I went to Best Buy to pick up some blank BDRs and they had a Forza setup next to the GT5 setup. Using the Speed Wheel on the Xbox with the Kinect head turn following thing(what's that called?) was SO MUCH more fun than the GT5 steering wheel.

Forza is a racing game and GT5 is a game for photographers to take pictures of cars, as a game even Forza 3 was better IMO. Polyphony focused too much on graphics and not enough on gameplay. Reminds me of SquareEnix's latest FFXIV disaster.

Also, that AI comparison video isn't exactly fair. There was a glitch with Forza that made the other cars ignore your car when you applied the brakes. I'm running the exact same test with the F40 and nothing is crashing into me no matter how close to or far from that curve I am.

Give Forza some time and a few content patches and it'll be head and shoulders above GT yet again, in all departments other than graphically. New game vs 3 year old game, 3 year old game will be more polished every time.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #25
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i dont know about that. i think things just kinda get impossible or really have diminishing returns. there really isnt any driving factor once you get the redbull car. i cant see myself doing any endurance races anymore and the nascar race at daytona is pretty fucking annoying
Hm... that excuse is for ppl that only play the game lil bit. X1 can be use in limited races. NASCAR race at Daytona is annoying? Try 24hrs at Nur. That's annoying... but that's the real race, not fantasy here. So why not try em out, cuz in real life I highly doubt no one in here gonna be doing that in real life.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #26
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I did the same thing too when Shift 2 came out. I put GT5 down and put time in Shift 2. Then slowly started hating the game and went back to GT5. Now I only play Shift 2 JUST so I can finish the game and get it over with. This one race pissed me off to no end, because it embodied everything crappy about the whole game in one race.
The reason I didn't buy Shift 2 is the same reason I grew to hate the first Shift. When you get into the faster cars, the driving physics are so out there that they're obnoxiously frustrating. Keeping the car straight was harder than pulling off a 10-hit combo in Mortal Kombat. I played Shift 2 to see if they had changed anything and nope, still the same old shit. Maybe I'm just bad at their physics model, but either way it was annoying.

Now in Forza 4, the cars get squirrely with all of the assists off and sim steering turned on. However, if I spin, I know why I spun and I know it's my fault. And I know how to fix it next time.

Also this was fun lol:
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
There is a point where enough is enough though. WoW is never ending, doesn't mean it's still fun to play 6 years later. It's a whole lot of the same old crap with a new wrapper.

Like Fatoni said, diminishing returns plays a huge part on "completion" status. Make something impossible and you'll never be 100% complete. If you want it to be enjoyable, set realistic goals that players actually want to complete.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #28
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
I really think you need to go away and play the game before you try and make arguments that you clearly know very little about (Not being a **** here, you do need to go and try it IMO)

Quote:
So, shitty is better so long as it's consistently shitty...lol. I'm just kidding. I have to disagree, F4's interior is better than some of the interior of the Standard cars. Of the standard cars that have an instrumentation interior (like the Formula One car for example), the standard car's interior looks on par with F4. I don't think that is enough though to negate the handling of cars.
F4's graphics are only slightly worse than GT5's (apart from 720p vs 1080p), so if you call that "consistently shitty", then to each thier own, but when only 20% of the cars in GT5 have equal or better interior and exterior models than a game that has 100% of cars at only a slightly lower level, then you need to do some thinking

Quote:
Is it possible to turn off though? Or can you make the narrator of the rest of the game talk about the other parts that Jeremy is suppose to. It's kinda like Vaughn Jr. in Shift 2. I didn't look in detail, but I don't think you can turn his voice off. I don't need a pep talk before I'm about to start every race...or someone telling me the obvious (go when the light turns green).
More evidence showing you need to go and try this game... :P

It's possible to not go into at all... 1 of about 10 points on each car in Autovista are narrated by Jeremy, the rest is the other narrator of Forza. The races have no narration (as far as I can remember, and there definitely isn't someone telling you when to go!). IIRC you can turn the speech right down as well. This game is nothing like Shift 2 IMO.

Quote:
The mention of Physics was summed up as...."The physics still have the Forza feel to them". If that's the case, the physics are better than Shift 2, but still have that artificial feel to them. In Shift 2 there is no "road surface" feel at all.
I wasn't arguing physics, we all know GT5 physics are better. Though F4 is infinitely better than Shift 2.

Quote:
The Veyron in the videos above were GT5 and Forza4, not Forza3. And GT5's Standard Veyron looks the same as Forza4's Veyron. Not all standard cars look like crap in GT5 though so they have varying levels I reckon. The ported over ones are far and few, I honestly have never seen anyone other than AI drive a ported over car.
Varying levels.... inconsistent... If you're going to bring up the same argument, see point 1

Quote:
So, you have to pay for your fixes. A fix would be better AI for example. While we had good AI from the release, they bettered the AI even more and we updated it for free. Don't see how that's a bad thing imo... It's not like they handed out a half but game from the get go. It was still a sick SIM Racer from day one. Then it morphed into more/better content.
IIRC there were a ton of videos showing the very bad (GT4) AI of GT5 when it first came out (not sure what the case is now with that, I assume it has been fixed), so Forza isn't the only one that could use some improvements to the AI.

The first time I put Forza in (5 or so days after UK/US release) there was an update for it... Not sure what for (probably bug fixes), but we do get free updates... It's just extra car packs that aren't free.

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed that they didn't change the AI, and they still have permanent active steering in it. It shows me that they still are not ready to step up to cater to the more mature and more serious racers. I'm going to have to hold off actually buying a 360 and perhaps only rent it and go over my boy's house. I will be playing it with a scrutinizing hand though, just being honest. I'm about feel and handling of the car. If the cars still float like Forza3 on the road surface it's not even close to being better. I'm a simple man when it comes to visual aids (car customizing) and 100% about driving physics. I have Shift 2 also and it is VERY nice on the visual aids and car modeling. But that game pisses me off to no end and negates the cars you drive because the handling is FUBAR!
If you're talking about how when you even turn the wheel a little it goes all the way... then I don't consider that a steering assist, it's just how the designers have made the controller work. It's determined by how long you hold the stick/wheel to a certain direction, not how far you turn it. I can see this being a problem for the hardcore people using wheels though. It's not all that realistic.

Road feel is a lot better than Forza 3... Not perfect, but they're getting there.

Once again, Shift 2 is NOTHING compared to this game.