follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #43
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sometimes I'll have a charging cord laying across the seat set off the chime but the other day it was a new one, I had a bag of chips there and it set it off. All I could figure was the foil inner was the cause. Frustrating...
Old 10-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #44
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgrinch View Post
You typed it before I could. It is sensitive to electronics. Put you iPhone on the seat and it will go off. Put a half gallon of milk and it will not.
Had this experience yesterday. I plugged my phone in and put it down on the seat for a few minutes, and the chime started going off. I thought I might be hearing things since I also had some music playing, but then it started doing the more insistent rapid chiming and I spotted the dash light flashing. Moved the phone away and it stopped. I was trying to figure out how I could place a loaded backpack in the seat and not get a peep from the sensor, but my 1/3-lb. phone would trigger it. Signal interference makes sense, just kind of annoying that it does that.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #45
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Mine goes off whenever I place my phone in it. One night I had left my passenger window cracked, it rained and the rain enough set off my passenger belt alarms. They're EXTREMELY sensitive.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #46
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
Mine goes off whenever I place my phone in it. One night I had left my passenger window cracked, it rained and the rain enough set off my passenger belt alarms. They're EXTREMELY sensitive.
I left a plugged in USB charging cable (no phone) on the seat and it went off. It's some electrical thing that I don't understand but I'm sure some EE here does and maybe will explain it.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #47
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
See, that's the weird thing for me, though. I've done it before and it doesn't happen all the time, so it makes me wonder if it has to do with whether certain radios are on or off (GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.). Maybe one is triggering it, so if that one is not on it won't react. I just have to remember not to leave it there. My phone (not an i-Phone) is a little too big for the slot in the cup holder, but it does sit there securely while I drive, so I've been trying to make more of a habit of using it lately.

As for the rain thing, it rained overnight/this morning and I'd left my windows cracked (hooray) with no clue how long it had been raining before I got out there and put some towels on the seats and closed the windows. It'll be interesting to see if the sensor acts up at all from any water contact.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #48
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
See, that's the weird thing for me, though. I've done it before and it doesn't happen all the time, so it makes me wonder if it has to do with whether certain radios are on or off (GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.). Maybe one is triggering it, so if that one is not on it won't react. I just have to remember not to leave it there. My phone (not an i-Phone) is a little too big for the slot in the cup holder, but it does sit there securely while I drive, so I've been trying to make more of a habit of using it lately.

As for the rain thing, it rained overnight/this morning and I'd left my windows cracked (hooray) with no clue how long it had been raining before I got out there and put some towels on the seats and closed the windows. It'll be interesting to see if the sensor acts up at all from any water contact.

If the seat is any bit damp then that is most likely what it is. It'll dry, mine was left open all night and it was soaked and dried overnight. If your phone is also too big for the cup holder its most likely big enough to trip the alarm. I have an iPhone 6s and on my left drivers side air vent near the door i got one of those air vent magnets to hold it and it works awesome for GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #49
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Not to go off-topic, but I think I'm going to go for one of those Beat-Sonic mounts that clips onto that dash insert in front of the passenger.

The phone isn't really heavy at all, not nearly enough mass to make the car think there's a butt in the seat. It's less than half a pound. It's just too long to fit into the slot on the cup holder cleanly, since that was designed to fit iPhones like yours and allow you to still slide your armrest back and forth (if equipped). Since my phone is too long it sits at an angle in that slot, so I can't slide the armrest back with it in place if I needed to (which I typically don't).

It's pretty warm here today for a fall night, so I think the seats will dry pretty quickly since they didn't get outright soaked, but if the sensor goes off at least I know why thanks to the info in this thread. Just can't stand when I crack the windows and get caught in the rain. If our doors had full frames I'd have window vent visors in them so it could be a non-issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #50
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If the mechanic can't sort it out I'd suggest calling an exorcist.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #51
Ragin Gti

Drives: '15 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any electronics including a phone will set off the passenger seat warning. Put a hat/ towel/anything under the phone and that will keep it from going off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ragin Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #52
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ive had a jug of ice water that wasnt screwed on properly that was upright when I begun the trip, tip over sideways in the seat, totally soaking the cushion & everything under, the carpet below the seat was soaked also. I didnt notice because driving on highway in traffic. set off the chime and within a day or two had dried enough to not affect the sensor anymore.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #53
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Had this experience yesterday. I plugged my phone in and put it down on the seat for a few minutes, and the chime started going off. I thought I might be hearing things since I also had some music playing, but then it started doing the more insistent rapid chiming and I spotted the dash light flashing. Moved the phone away and it stopped. I was trying to figure out how I could place a loaded backpack in the seat and not get a peep from the sensor, but my 1/3-lb. phone would trigger it. Signal interference makes sense, just kind of annoying that it does that.
It is not a weight activated switch. It is an electronic field sensor. It says so right in the manual.
Dadhawk (10-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #54
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not to go off-topic, but I think I'm going to go for one of those Beat-Sonic mounts that clips onto that dash insert in front of the passenger.

The phone isn't really heavy at all, not nearly enough mass to make the car think there's a butt in the seat. It's less than half a pound. It's just too long to fit into the slot on the cup holder cleanly, since that was designed to fit iPhones like yours and allow you to still slide your armrest back and forth (if equipped). Since my phone is too long it sits at an angle in that slot, so I can't slide the armrest back with it in place if I needed to (which I typically don't).

It's pretty warm here today for a fall night, so I think the seats will dry pretty quickly since they didn't get outright soaked, but if the sensor goes off at least I know why thanks to the info in this thread. Just can't stand when I crack the windows and get caught in the rain. If our doors had full frames I'd have window vent visors in them so it could be a non-issue.
Beat Sonic mount is great. Most stable mount I have used in any car including Ram mounts and magnetic mounts

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #55
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is not a weight activated switch. It is an electronic field sensor. It says so right in the manual.
Ok, well I assumed it was since my previous Toyota's sensor was based on weight on the cushion, as are many others. So I could put a cinder block on my passenger seat and the sensor would think nothing of it? Seems legit.

Now I'm kinda curious/concerned about whether that sensor's field could affect someone with a pacemaker?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 AM   #56
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ok, well I assumed it was since my previous Toyota's sensor was based on weight on the cushion, as are many others. So I could put a cinder block on my passenger seat and the sensor would think nothing of it? Seems legit.

Now I'm kinda curious/concerned about whether that sensor's field could affect someone with a pacemaker?
Be no worse than a cell phone, the HU or any other device sending a signal.