follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #505
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
Lol I'm honestly thinking with the release of the 2018 refresh WRX/STi models I'm hoping it'll make the 2015-2017s go down a little bit. I been really wanting a WRX lately.

I'm also curious as to what 2020 will bring for the new WRX and STi cars.
I don't think the prices will go down much more than they normally would. It's not like it's a totally new model, it's mostly a facelift and not anything that makes the car faster. The "performance upgrades," if I remember them correctly, are mostly just with the brakes. The WRX gets some different pads (which isn't that significant of a change to me), and the STI gets six-piston calipers... good things for sure, but nothing too drastic. I never really felt that braking was an area that needed much improvement for the cars, but I guess that the six-piston calipers on the STI will be nice for the more hardcore track enthusiasts who are going to mod their cars, but I'd worry more about that engine.

On that topic, I'm surprised that Subaru has kept the current US STI motor as long as they have. Initially I wasn't that surprised that they used it at launch, but thought they'd just keep it for one, maybe two years, then switch to a beefier version of the WRX's motor with STI-worthy specs and piss off the prior year STI's owners (a la the Mustang GT 5.0 when Ford tossed out the 4.6-liter). At this point, they might just keep the motor for the entire generation and save an STI variant of the 2.0-liter for the new body style, or at least after the BRZ inevitably gets it.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #506
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
I don't think the prices will go down much more than they normally would. It's not like it's a totally new model, it's mostly a facelift and not anything that makes the car faster. The "performance upgrades," if I remember them correctly, are mostly just with the brakes. The WRX gets some different pads (which isn't that significant of a change to me), and the STI gets six-piston calipers... good things for sure, but nothing too drastic. I never really felt that braking was an area that needed much improvement for the cars, but I guess that the six-piston calipers on the STI will be nice for the more hardcore track enthusiasts who are going to mod their cars, but I'd worry more about that engine.

On that topic, I'm surprised that Subaru has kept the current US STI motor as long as they have. Initially I wasn't that surprised that they used it at launch, but thought they'd just keep it for one, maybe two years, then switch to a beefier version of the WRX's motor with STI-worthy specs and piss off the prior year STI's owners (a la the Mustang GT 5.0 when Ford tossed out the 4.6-liter). At this point, they might just keep the motor for the entire generation and save an STI variant of the 2.0-liter for the new body style, or at least after the BRZ inevitably gets it.
The EJ25 is pretty much guaranteed until the STI moves to the global platform in 2020. I don't know if they will go with a hotted up version of the FA20DIT. My understanding is they have fueling and rod issues with at the existing output. That's why it only makes 268 horsepower on North American gas. It also has carbon build-up issues.

They probably would need forged internals and a better HPFP before they crank up the boost on the FA20DIT for STI duty. My theory is that they're working on FA25DIT for the new Viviz-7 and to replace the existing H6 in the line-up. The STI will then probably get a hotted up version of that engine.

Alternatively, they could be producing a modern turbocharged successor to the EZ30 for the top trim Viziz-7. However, that seems unlikely given there are few vehicles in their line-up that would warrant that kind of output.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #507
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
I doubt it lol, WRXs and STis seem to hold their value extremely well.
I was gonna just wait and buy used looks like I might have to just buy new when the time comes.

I just looked on carmax lol and my curiosity I just looked up 06 STi models 2008 STi 25-28K
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #508
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
The WRX is one of the best cars I have ever owned. I was literally at the dealer to buy a BRZ, test drove a WRX, I now own a WRX. I love the BRZ, but when it comes down to it, the WRX to me was the better car all around. The power difference and feel is what initially did it though. I've has the WRX since summer of '15 and have no regrets.
not even one...jk might jump ship soon
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NyC Zn6 For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #509
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
not even one...jk might jump ship soon
Are you going to keep your BRZ or trade it? What do you like about the WRX?
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #510
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
The EJ25 is pretty much guaranteed until the STI moves to the global platform in 2020. I don't know if they will go with a hotted up version of the FA20DIT. My understanding is they have fueling and rod issues with at the existing output. That's why it only makes 268 horsepower on North American gas. It also has carbon build-up issues.
I don't think that's why it "only makes 268 horsepower" -- there has to be a gap between the WRX and the STI. Beyond that, it's going to get dangerously close to the STI. Remember the Evo and the STI when they first came to our shores? On paper, the Evo's 271 hp made it seem like it was going to get destroyed by the STI's 300 hp. Not quite. While most publications did have the STI accelerating more quickly, the results generally didn't have the Evo that far behind, and interestingly the BEST numbers anyone ever managed put the Evo ahead, and it was when Motor Trend somehow managed a 13.06-second quarter-mile.

I'm sure the WRX can put out more, but Subaru probably didn't try to tune its motor within an inch of its life on the first try (which is the case with damn near every new performance car, since there's always some midlife refresh where they manage to dig up another 10-20 hp, except in the STI's case), since 268 hp was already a nice little step up from the outgoing WRX, considering they even downsized the motor.

Also, carbon build-up isn't exclusive to the WRX, it's fairly common with direct injection motors.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #511
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
I was gonna just wait and buy used looks like I might have to just buy new when the time comes.

I just looked on carmax lol and my curiosity I just looked up 06 STi models 2008 STi 25-28K
Sheesh, that's kind of a surprise. Is there a way to see how long the car has been on the lot? I just don't see those model years of the STIs commanding that kind of a sale price, unless they have absurdly low miles.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #512
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Are you going to keep your BRZ or trade it? What do you like about the WRX?
4 doors lol. It is going to be weird as 90% of the cars i have previously owned were rwd. i might keep the 86 and get a 2005 sti or 2006 evo .
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #513
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sheesh, that's kind of a surprise. Is there a way to see how long the car has been on the lot? I just don't see those model years of the STIs commanding that kind of a sale price, unless they have absurdly low miles.
From my experience carmax usually has a generous markup for profit. Maybe check autotrader and private sellers...

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #514
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Quote:
I don't think that's why it "only makes 268 horsepower" -- there has to be a gap between the WRX and the STI. Beyond that, it's going to get dangerously close to the STI. Remember the Evo and the STI when they first came to our shores? On paper, the Evo's 271 hp made it seem like it was going to get destroyed by the STI's 300 hp. Not quite. While most publications did have the STI accelerating more quickly, the results generally didn't have the Evo that far behind, and interestingly the BEST numbers anyone ever managed put the Evo ahead, and it was when Motor Trend somehow managed a 13.06-second quarter-mile.

I'm sure the WRX can put out more, but Subaru probably didn't try to tune its motor within an inch of its life on the first try (which is the case with damn near every new performance car, since there's always some midlife refresh where they manage to dig up another 10-20 hp, except in the STI's case), since 268 hp was already a nice little step up from the outgoing WRX, considering they even downsized the motor.

Also, carbon build-up isn't exclusive to the WRX, it's fairly common with direct injection motors.
The FA20DIT makes 296 horsepower on the WRX S4 in Japan. All that's different between the Japanese version and the US version is a tune and higher RON gas in Japan.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #515
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
4 doors lol. It is going to be weird as 90% of the cars i have previously owned were rwd. i might keep the 86 and get a 2005 sti or 2006 evo .
That's not a bad idea, but the market for those is shrinking while the prices go up, despite the fact that the cars are getting older and racking on more miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
The FA20DIT makes 296 horsepower on the WRX S4 in Japan. All that's different between the Japanese version and the US version is a tune and higher RON gas in Japan.
I get that, and that's typical of most cars when comparing ours to their JDM counterparts. I'm just saying that the US tune likely isn't maxing out the engine's potential within normal parameters (i.e. being compliant with emissions regulations, certain gas mileage targets, taking into account 91 octane in certain markets), since there's not a huge reason to at this time. I don't feel like there are many people who don't buy WRXs and instead go elsewhere because it didn't have the power that they wanted, but more power at this point would just threaten the STI.