follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #869
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
As a "gatekeeper" myself I see a lot of chaff o get a single grain of wheat through interviews. Many, many, MANY people think they are more qualified for a position than they really are.
Quote:
Our current criteria for most jobs is that you have a heartbeat! Even then we may wave that if you are a millwright or electrician.
Zombie applicants

Old 04-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #870
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Zombie applicants

We will take them! The only issue will be finding enough brains to feed them.

NoHaveMSG (04-20-2022), soundman98 (04-20-2022), Ultramaroon (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 02:29 PM   #871
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I've done that. I've also done it on the first interview. People are always surprised when you say, "yea, never mind, thanks for thinking of me."

Last job I had they wanted me to do a second interview in person in the middle of what would have been a vacation that was planned 6 months in advance. I told them that I would be happy to interview once I got back but I wasn't going to interrupt my family plans for them. Next day, I got the job offer.
This happened to me a couple weeks ago.

I was supposed to do two interviews each on two separate days. One hour each.

So I join the first of two calls on one day. Wait 15 mins. Interviewer never shows. I email the recruiter to tell them. They call me and apologize, apparently the guy was out sick that day, etc. but I can still do the second one at 1pm and reschedule this one. So I say sure that's understandable and reschedule for the following Thursday. Thursday morning comes around. I get an email basically saying the interviewer I was supposed to talk to has construction going on near/at his house today, it'll probably be too difficult to have a clear conversation. Would I like to reschedule? Now I'm getting a bit annoyed but figure I'll just try to take it anyway because I need more interview practice. So we reschedule for the following week. The day before I'm supposed to talk to the guy, the recruiter emails me again saying that day he has a doctor appointment scheduled and won't make it.

At that point I just give up. Say I get the job, I would have to work on the same team as a guy who clearly didn't want to talk to me for a one hour call??

So I just send a very professional rejection email to the recruiter phrased almost exactly like how I get them usually as an interviewee.

She replies back all pissed off, saying this isn't how interviews usually go for them, it just didn't work with the guys schedule, she'll just have someone else do the interview, etc.

So I stopped replying altogether.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-20-2022), humfrz (04-21-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-20-2022), soundman98 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 03:53 PM   #872
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Finally had a time to assemble the 3D printer... but sadly it didn't come w 1 part, so I had to email the customer service to get that part shipped. Welp, I guess testing the 3D printer will be on hold for a while
Old 04-20-2022, 08:40 PM   #873
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
This happened to me a couple weeks ago.

I was supposed to do two interviews each on two separate days. One hour each.

So I join the first of two calls on one day. Wait 15 mins. Interviewer never shows. I email the recruiter to tell them. They call me and apologize, apparently the guy was out sick that day, etc. but I can still do the second one at 1pm and reschedule this one. So I say sure that's understandable and reschedule for the following Thursday. Thursday morning comes around. I get an email basically saying the interviewer I was supposed to talk to has construction going on near/at his house today, it'll probably be too difficult to have a clear conversation. Would I like to reschedule? Now I'm getting a bit annoyed but figure I'll just try to take it anyway because I need more interview practice. So we reschedule for the following week. The day before I'm supposed to talk to the guy, the recruiter emails me again saying that day he has a doctor appointment scheduled and won't make it.

At that point I just give up. Say I get the job, I would have to work on the same team as a guy who clearly didn't want to talk to me for a one hour call??

So I just send a very professional rejection email to the recruiter phrased almost exactly like how I get them usually as an interviewee.

She replies back all pissed off, saying this isn't how interviews usually go for them, it just didn't work with the guys schedule, she'll just have someone else do the interview, etc.

So I stopped replying altogether.
I would have done the same thing. Your time is just as valuable as theirs, if not more because you have options. I'm not sure of your field or your level, and it doesn't really matter. I take a different approach when I look for a new job. I have variations of my resume targeted to the position which I am applying. I leave out anything that doesn't fit where I want to go even if it was a big part where I have been.

In a way I envy your situation. Shoot for the moon. Take risks. Reinvent yourself. You have nothing to lose. Don't let them get you down. They only know you from a piece of paper. Make that paper stand out so they will never forget you.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2020BRZtS For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-20-2022), spike021 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:33 PM   #874
spike021

For all you programmers out there, today I failed an interview for panicking and totally forgetting to question the value-types of the data I was working with.

i.e.

array: [["1230", "testing", ""], ["200", "testing3", ""], ["1230", "testing1", ""], ["2000", "testing", ""]]

Basically the first value is a timestamp in 2400 format. I had to sort first by the 2nd value (some word), and then sort by the first.

So I did a Python library sort with a lambda.

But I messed up one thing, I kept getting the list back in a different than expected order.

With that bug, I screwed up the rest of the interview.

The bug was... I was sorting the first values (the timestamps) as strings, not type-casting to integers.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-21-2022), humfrz (04-21-2022), p1l0t (04-21-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:42 PM   #875
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
For all you programmers out there, today I failed an interview for panicking and totally forgetting to question the value-types of the data I was working with.

i.e.

array: [["1230", "testing", ""], ["200", "testing3", ""], ["1230", "testing1", ""], ["2000", "testing", ""]]

Basically the first value is a timestamp in 2400 format. I had to sort first by the 2nd value (some word), and then sort by the first.

So I did a Python library sort with a lambda.

But I messed up one thing, I kept getting the list back in a different than expected order.

With that bug, I screwed up the rest of the interview.

The bug was... I was sorting the first values (the timestamps) as strings, not type-casting to integers.
There are far too many words in this post I don't understand

You fail an interview for that? I figure if you could explain what you did wrong reasonably and in a timely manner that would be almost as good as a straight pass.
soundman98 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:49 PM   #876
spike021

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
There are far too many words in this post I don't understand

You fail an interview for that? I figure if you could explain what you did wrong reasonably and in a timely manner that would be almost as good as a straight pass.
Problem is I didn't know and fix the bug til I worked on it on my own a few minutes ago, several hours after the interview.

But yeah, companies out here are super strict. Usually they want a fully-running program with correct results. Even if you can explain the right algorithm and data structures to use, they won't accept it unless you get the code 100% correct.
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #877
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Problem is I didn't know and fix the bug til I worked on it on my own a few minutes ago, several hours after the interview.

But yeah, companies out here are super strict. Usually they want a fully-running program with correct results. Even if you can explain the right algorithm and data structures to use, they won't accept it unless you get the code 100% correct.
That's crazy. If you can survive working remotely on an east coast salary let me know. I can get you a job in a week.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2020BRZtS For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-20-2022), spike021 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 10:33 PM   #878
spike021

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
That's crazy. If you can survive working remotely on an east coast salary let me know. I can get you a job in a week.
Thanks, will let you know. I've got a few more in the pipeline and then I'll probably take a couple weeks to re-coup a bit and prep some more.
Quote:
Capt Spaulding (04-21-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:08 PM   #879
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i'm becoming more and more convinced that any company that complains "we can't find anyone qualified" really means "we set our standards so impossibly high that literally no one meets those standards, but we can't admit to it"
Dadhawk (04-21-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:25 PM   #880
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Random Thoughts - Part III The Search for Spark (No Politics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i'm becoming more and more convinced that any company that complains "we can't find anyone qualified" really means "we set our standards so impossibly high that literally no one meets those standards, but we can't admit to it"

Our standards are low. The issue we have is both our company president and GM are completely out of touch with what the market has done in the last couple years. We lost our spring shop Forman. Going to another company that starts at 2/hr more then what he makes now and he has been here 10 years. I don’t doubt we loose the guy under him shortly. They think our profit sharing bonuses at the end of the year are enough to keep people even though they aren’t guaranteed. I been telling them they need to pay the hourly guys 1-2/hr more and just do smaller bonuses. People would be far happier even if it equates to less at the end of the year. We aren’t wage competitive for the production and shop guys. I think it will take at least two more losses before they realize it which hurts since we are already short staffed. They put out some ads for one of my positions, purchasing mgr, no hits. The wage they put on them is barely competitive for a purchasing agent let alone the manger.
soundman98 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 01:58 AM   #881
spike021

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Sort of, but it's gotten to the point where there are people who can just study super hard and memorize/otherwise pickup how to solve the type of problems being asked in these.

I think I mentioned this a week or two ago, but there are now dedicated websites for studying these problems, even if most of them aren't relevant to the job itself; they tend to be brain teaser problems for the most part.

Most of the recent interviews I've gotten have included a "study guide" doc where they're like, "go to leetcode.com and practice as many problems as possible/30 some-odd problems to prepare!"
Quote:
humfrz (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 02:05 AM   #882
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm getting the feeling that you are suffering from "interview anxiety".

I suggest you do some reading up on that.

Yep, you CAN overcome that -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-21-2022), spike021 (04-21-2022)

Tags
have you turned it off/on, i heart my boxer, i still hate you all, kiss me, maple syrup, multipass, next one is a prequel, ow my balls, special_k abandoned you, the search for more money