follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 07-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #3697
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ok so I've had my supercharger for about a month full exhaust with uel catless headers on 93 gas and tuned. I was wondering if it's normal for the car to feel slower under about 3k rpm? I understand how the supercharger works so just wondering if the amount of parasitic hp loss under low rpms is normal to feel?
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #3698
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Ok so I've had my supercharger for about a month full exhaust with uel catless headers on 93 gas and tuned. I was wondering if it's normal for the car to feel slower under about 3k rpm? I understand how the supercharger works so just wondering if the amount of parasitic hp loss under low rpms is normal to feel?

My experience is that there is more power everywhere. For example, I can accelerate up hill in 6th gear even from 2k rpms. Could not do that before SC. That said, the tip in from no throttle to full/partial throttle has a strange little lag/dip until the boost builds. It is quite short, but still there. I'm not sure if that's what you feel or maybe your tune is off or something is not working right. In lower gears I can actually accelerate from 1500rpms pretty easily since the SC install.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
AKITA (07-09-2020), brandonblt2 (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #3699
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
My experience is that there is more power everywhere. For example, I can accelerate up hill in 6th gear even from 2k rpms. Could not do that before SC. That said, the tip in from no throttle to full/partial throttle has a strange little lag/dip until the boost builds. It is quite short, but still there. I'm not sure if that's what you feel or maybe your tune is off or something is not working right. In lower gears I can actually accelerate from 1500rpms pretty easily since the SC install.

Weird it seems to bog down for me. Do you have the D-Box by chance? I'm thinking of getting it to help with some roughness I have when accelerating thinking maybe that we improve acceleration throughout also.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #3700
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Weird it seems to bog down for me. Do you have the D-Box by chance? I'm thinking of getting it to help with some roughness I have when accelerating thinking maybe that we improve acceleration throughout also.
I had the same question about the dbox. Read the last 20 pages or so of this thread. I asked about the DBox and since then toast, devtec, and BirdTRD have posted a ton of helpful, affordable alternatives.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #3701
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
I'm gonna be able to give a lot better assessment when I've finished the tuning process. I have a Dbox ..also my current set up is just initial tune (which really doesn't allow me to drive it hard or much. Like no pulls kind of tune) has a decent idle rock solid at 8-900, consistent temps oil and coolant, and no weird behavior. But it has the very similar characteristic as 86fun describes. Mushy throttle terrible tip in.. haven't pulled it much but I can tell I'm not getting nearly all of it. And I attribute that to it's initial tune that after some E-tuning on Tuesday I expect to get largely worked out and be closer to brandonblt2's description. If not I'll have the same questions as 86fun has.. and if it's still that way I'll be asking DT what's up. 86fun said had it for a month and tuned. Who tuned it.? E-tune, dyno, or both? Because that's where I'm gonna be looking if I don't find 86 Nirvana on Tuesday.
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:36 AM   #3702
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
mine picks right up at like 2200-2500 rpm. Very noticeable even if just on light throttle.

JUST off idle yes i can feel the parasitic drain but not a big deal, thats why the tuner set my idle at like 900 rpm im assuming.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 12:47 AM   #3703
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I do not have a Dbox. I am on the CARB tune with no other mods.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #3704
Z06ZN6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Agreed. With the SC and DT 91 tune, I could climb any of the California mountain snow resorts from Los Angeles in one gear, 6th where as when it was NA, it was down to 4th over and over again everytime I came up on a grade. I usually use 5th though to avoid climbing in the low 2000rpm range but it pulls and can gain speed no problem up any of these grades in 6th.

The lag or delay in throttle before significant boost comes on was one of the things that really annoyed me about the original CARB tune. The accel pedal was like an on/off switch. Basically the car felt like two different cars and was hard to drive consistently and smoothly. Low speed I would feel little to no power like NA, then when I press the pedal a tiny bit more, on came this ridiculous amount of SC boost I didn't need. Driving around town was absolutely annoying like this. Thankfully, the very first tune file from Delicious Tuning completely fixed that behaviour and the other annoying habits of the CARB tune and made the accelerator completely linear again. I have no lag and the car no longer feels supercharged, instead it has the seemless power band of a bigger engine with power everywhere. No D box. After that I went with E85 and a dyno day at DT and it absolutely rips now. My AT with 4.30s made 280+ rw on 91 and 340-350rw on E65. The power increases all the way to redline. I can't recommended DT enough. Bill's tuning made my edelbrock SC feel like an OEM installed part. Seriously, if it wasnt for that tune, I probably would have offloaded the car by now and went back to my V8's.
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z06ZN6 For This Useful Post:
Griever423 (07-14-2020), shr133 (07-18-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #3705
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Quote:
I do not have a Dbox. I am on the CARB tune with no other mods.
Mmm yeah I have heard the CARB tune can be little iffy.. wonder if that is what Bradon is running.. but yours you say runs well. Probably not much difference than this initial DT tune in terms of power, but I don't have some of the other issues Brandon was describing. Mines much smoother. I wonder if DT can do a CARB tune with Ecutek..wonder if someone already knows... then.. you could have another tune that's not necessarily CARB , to get a little more out of it at times.

Since I don't need the CARB tune.. I'll just be expecting on Tuesday, to be getting as much out of 93 octane as I can via Etune .. I expect significantly more than 250 fly.. which I thought was the CARB tune spec.. even with E-tuning I expect to do better than that.. as well as better throttle response and tip in than it has now.

Last edited by AKITA; 07-12-2020 at 05:33 PM.
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #3706
MaxTurbo

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I installed the SC a few months ago, but I'm yet to finish the tune with Delicious. I run 93oct (have tried different places), but I'm still getting a low RPM/high load knock (highway cruising in 6th). The IAM drops to 0.50 and sometimes lower. The intake air temps are fine. At WOT runs the car doesn't hesitate and these is no knock, is just part throttle low RPM that kills the IAM. Aside from that the engine feels and works great.

Delicious recommended me to change spark plugs and check the coils and DI injectors. I have replaced the plugs and the DI injectors (didn't look bad, but just in case). I even replaced the exhaust side coils. Yet, I still have the weird knock. I'm going to ge them to check my latest logs, but is this behavior something common? Anything else I should for?
MaxTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #3707
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurbo View Post
I installed the SC a few months ago, but I'm yet to finish the tune with Delicious. I run 93oct (have tried different places), but I'm still getting a low RPM/high load knock (highway cruising in 6th). The IAM drops to 0.50 and sometimes lower. The intake air temps are fine. At WOT runs the car doesn't hesitate and these is no knock, is just part throttle low RPM that kills the IAM. Aside from that the engine feels and works great.

Delicious recommended me to change spark plugs and check the coils and DI injectors. I have replaced the plugs and the DI injectors (didn't look bad, but just in case). I even replaced the exhaust side coils. Yet, I still have the weird knock. I'm going to ge them to check my latest logs, but is this behavior something common? Anything else I should for?
Do you also have hesitations at lower rpms and partial throttle? I've had something similar for quite a while

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #3708
MaxTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
Do you also have hesitations at lower rpms and partial throttle? I've had something similar for quite a while

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm having. But only in high gear, like highway. Maybe 2K to 3.5K RPM. I've reviewed the logs and it always happens when the engine load goes above 1 (I assume this is when the manifold pressure goes above ambient).
Old 07-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #3709
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurbo View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm having. But only in high gear, like highway. Maybe 2K to 3.5K RPM. I've reviewed the logs and it always happens when the engine load goes above 1 (I assume this is when the manifold pressure goes above ambient).
Let me know when you have an answer from Delicious, I'm having a similar issue with my DT tune that I need to send logs for

Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #3710
MaxTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
Let me know when you have an answer from Delicious, I'm having a similar issue with my DT tune that I need to send logs for

By any chance, do you have the latest version of their tunes? Check link below.

https://www.delicioustuning.com/LSPI...FTbuMkJPmLCpBI