follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
okcbrz

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (White)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Invidia N1 Catback

Seriously considering getting this exhaust, does anyone have any experience with it? Highway drone, too load for daily use, that type of stuff? Much appreciated!
okcbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcbrz View Post
Seriously considering getting this exhaust, does anyone have any experience with it? Highway drone, too load for daily use, that type of stuff? Much appreciated!

Since this is your first post I will be nice and give you this

instead of this

Name:  SEARCH.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  98.7 KB

All the info you need about the car and parts is on here. Just gotta search. I have the N1's but full exhaust and boosted so my shit is loud as fuck. With just N1's slight drone but tolerable. There are vid clips in my build thread if you wanna hear.
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sklimo For This Useful Post:
FR-S Matt (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
irxproductions

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2015 Speed Triple
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
@DarrenDriven strikes again! Thanks to his help, we were able to get the Invidia N1 catback exhaust system into my 2013 FR-S. The fit and finish on the Invidia is absolute perfection.

I've tried the pipes with both the silencers in and out, and prefer the loudness of them out but the pipes still have a great sound with them in. The only other mod I have is an Injen 1230P Cold Air Intake system.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ViAUU_46U"]Here's a YouTube clip of my N1s[/ame]

The clip is without the silencers, by the way.

Once again, if you haven't met Darren, you truly must make the trip. The guy is amazing, genuine, and a true boon to the GT86 community.
irxproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irxproductions For This Useful Post:
Davev (08-25-2014), Egyptn (09-17-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
leoh007

Drives: 2014 Monogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcbrz View Post
If youre considering gettign the exhaust the initial sound will be very drony. It will take at least 500 miles for the exhaust to break in and even then you will have alot of drone. I recommend installing a header to quiet the sound down. I installed a Agency Power Header and the drone was virtually gone at highweay speed. The sound is VERY aggressive which i love but it is tamed AND aggressive with a header. I am also going to install an Invidia overpipe and fron tpipe today so ill report back with the results.
leoh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Jacky

Drives: 2011 Mitsubishi Evo X
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
email erik@vividracing.com

He'll get you a good deal.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Stevehan

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ blue.edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irxproductions View Post
@DarrenDriven strikes again! Thanks to his help, we were able to get the Invidia N1 catback exhaust system into my 2013 FR-S. The fit and finish on the Invidia is absolute perfection.

I've tried the pipes with both the silencers in and out, and prefer the loudness of them out but the pipes still have a great sound with them in. The only other mod I have is an Injen 1230P Cold Air Intake system.

The clip is without the silencers, by the way.

Once again, if you haven't met Darren, you truly must make the trip. The guy is amazing, genuine, and a true boon to the GT86 community.
Is the n1 loud enough to wake up the neigbors in the mornings with a stock 86? I don't want to receive a lot of complaints haha
Stevehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehan View Post
Is the n1 loud enough to wake up the neigbors in the mornings with a stock 86? I don't want to receive a lot of complaints haha
Let's just say that it's loud but a 7.5/10 loud. It's deep and bassy, so it won't be annoying. Will it wake up your neighbors? Depends where you live and how your streets are structured. If you're living in the suburbs, where it's quiet, yeah it'll definitely wake people up. City, probably not. I've never sat inside the cabin of a stock car with the N1, but when warmed up and everything, it sounds quite nice- nothing ricelike or anything.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure where all the issues people mention with the N1 come from.

My tolerance levels must be high but this exhaust is quiet as shit from the outside and the drone is minimal at best.
mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbmike View Post
Not sure where all the issues people mention with the N1 come from.

My tolerance levels must be high but this exhaust is quiet as shit from the outside and the drone is minimal at best.
Add a catless header and catted front pipe and your decision will change.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Stevehan

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ blue.edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akahenry View Post
Let's just say that it's loud but a 7.5/10 loud. It's deep and bassy, so it won't be annoying. Will it wake up your neighbors? Depends where you live and how your streets are structured. If you're living in the suburbs, where it's quiet, yeah it'll definitely wake people up. City, probably not. I've never sat inside the cabin of a stock car with the N1, but when warmed up and everything, it sounds quite nice- nothing ricelike or anything.
Thanks! Do you have any insight on the drone? At what rpm does it usually hit? And is the drone rally bad or ok?
Stevehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
ShibaYuki

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have an Invidia N1 and a catless frontpipe. I don't think it's super loud. I think it's tolerable. Even my girlfriend loves the way it sounds. I can't wait to install a header though. =)
ShibaYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
It is loud, but not super loud. It sounds really good from the outside, but does have quite a bit of drone though.
@Mooseknuckle44 sold his because of it.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
The drone is most likely and probably around the highway cruising range of 2.5k ~ 3k (60 - 70 mph) I don't think the drone will affect you if you're a younger enthusiast. Just buy the damn cat back already lol. It's literally one of the best bang for your buck cat backs. Make sure to buy it used and not new. Why used? Because at the end of the day, most cat backs are just metal (probably 304 stainless or whatever), and etc. When you're looking to buy a header, then buy it new.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
CrazyWookiee

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
When I had it, it wasn't that loud. The N1 is a weird exhaust to describe.

I would split exhaust noise under 2 categories. In cabin and outside. The N1 outside of the car and when driving by/cruising is really not that loud at all. In the cabin at highway speeds, it has a tiny bit of drone, but quite tolerable.

If the catback is all you are after, the N1 is a great bang for the buck. But if you are planning to change more pipes further up, it may be too loud for you. I found it's volume was only tolerable at standalone. I changed off my N1 for that reason, because I wanted to change the header/op/fp.

Also, almost every aftermarket exhaust on the FR-S is going to start loud on a cold morning.

"I'm the real Peter Lau" - Peter Lau
CrazyWookiee is offline   Reply With Quote