follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
1st Oil Change & Block Heater

Booked my BRZ in today for block heater install. Decided to do an oil change at the same time as I'll be parking the car for the winter.
Forgot to flash back to stock from my STG2 tune

Oh well, my tech looked pretty cool and he drove a highly modded STi. Said my car felt pretty snappy, have you done anything to it ? I just smiled

Once he looked under the hood, his questions were answered. I had him install my AFe catback while it was on the lift.

Looks and sounds amazing! I'll post a couple pics when I get a chance

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

EDIT: So the day started off not so bad, got the exhaust installed, that was quick. Then he started on block heater, when he was removing exhaust manifold, he ended up snapping off the upper stud. Figured this happened because it was a stress point or possibly cross-threaded.
Anyhow he had a stud in stock, so that was good news! Then he had to drill out manifold and retap the hole and that took him awhile, then onto oil change.
All's well that ends well! I never got charged for oil change or installing the catback because of the mishap, block heater was part of PDI

Great customer service @ Auto Gallery Subaru Regina SK

Last edited by JPxM0Dz; 11-03-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: 1775KM
JPxM0Dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Garage
Forgot to post these pics. This is what was in the showroom while I waited on car

Old 11-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
muffinman

Drives: -
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
so u will be parking the car for the winter but decided to put a block heater on anyway?
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Orthow
Banned

Drives: 99' SIR Kswapped Racer/Showcar
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
so u will be parking the car for the winter but decided to put a block heater on anyway?
Was just about to ask this as it makes no sense. You don't want to warm up the oil for no reason during the winter - you chance creating condensation and contaminating the oil that way. Block heaters are only necessary for a vehicle that will be started in the cold.

PS - I'm a Canadian - these things have come as options or standard on every car I've owned lol also just realized OP is Canadian .. he should know about these as well.
Orthow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthow View Post
Was just about to ask this as it makes no sense. You don't want to warm up the oil for no reason during the winter - you chance creating condensation and contaminating the oil that way. Block heaters are only necessary for a vehicle that will be started in the cold.

PS - I'm a Canadian - these things have come as options or standard on every car I've owned lol also just realized OP is Canadian .. he should know about these as well.

Yes I did, the car will be parked, but not in a heated garage. I'll still be modding the car from time to time over the winter and the car will also be started occasionally as needed. So I had a block installed for those colder days and not to be plugged in steady for the winter as this would be pointless

I hope this meets your satisfaction

btw Orthow, I see your located in Barrie ON, I've personally lived in Ontario and know how cold it gets there, wanna guess how much colder it gets here on the prairies ??

Last edited by JPxM0Dz; 11-09-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: EDIT
JPxM0Dz is offline   Reply With Quote