follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #43
w00t692

Drives: 2008 Civic Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Winter blend is certainly not e60 to e70 as all pumps around here (the few that we have) say 70% minimum. I myself have not been having major issues, but I have been working on making cold starts better for people with higher e% fuels.

As far as atomization is concerned, that isn't the problem, the problem is the flash point (the temperature at which the fuel turns to vapor) of e85 is way higher than gas.
Winter blends are most certainly lower mixtures of ethanol. And you know what, you're right, that's what i meant. The temperature that ethanol evaporates is much higher than gasoline, resulting in no start conditions are much higher temperatures than gasoline can start in.

I actually believe the reason for that variance sticker is specifically winter conditions.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #44
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t692 View Post
Winter blends are most certainly lower mixtures of ethanol. And you know what, you're right, that's what i meant. The temperature that ethanol evaporates is much higher than gasoline, resulting in no start conditions are much higher temperatures than gasoline can start in.

I actually believe the reason for that variance sticker is specifically winter conditions.
Correct, it is lower, but not e60 lower. With the harder starting issues, we increase the Injector Pulse Width (the amount of time that the injector sprays fuel each combustion stroke) so that there is more gasoline in the engine to get it going. I think one issue that people who are working with this are having is that they end up overdoing the compensation and flood it a little. I believe that is what is keeping my changes from being the best that they can and I am still working on making it better.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote