follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Pedal Dance Imperative for Autocross/Track

For those that do not know what the pedal dance is, please read here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25494

I just finished another 2 short-track days. I had my Nokian snow/all-season tires on both days, as it is STILL winter in Minnesota.

The first day was dry. I was surprised to find that the Nokian WR-G2 to be better than the stock Michelin Primacy HC (except, perhaps, under braking). The second day had rain and/or sleet all day with temperatures of 32-33 F. The track was wet, not icy, all day and the Nokians had VERY little grip in these conditions.

What was clear on both days was that doing the pedal dance was vitally important for performance, control and consistency on both days. I think the culprit is the "emergency brake assist."

In the wet in the afternoon, there was a turn that was so slow I used first gear. After braking heavily for this turn on one lap, I let off the brake, got on the gas, and started to let out the clutch. Surprise! the car was still braking for a moment resulting in quite a lurch, not the smooth transition I normally get. After applying the pedal dance, this was a complete non-issue. In the dry, the difference was a bit more subtle, but still very noticeable.

I urge all who autocross or track their cars to try the pedal dance. Be aware that if you are overdriving your grip with the nannies on, you may not have a good experience after applying the pedal dance. If, however, you approach this new mode with some caution, you will be rewarded with a more consistent and controllable car.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Tire For This Useful Post:
MTCRX (04-19-2013), Scooby South (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I found in autocross where I am braking very hard very quickly it causes the ABS to go into "ice mode" where I don't get it at all with the car in normal mode. I've never noticed any intervention during autocross.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
For those that do not know what the pedal dance is, please read here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25494

I just finished another 2 short-track days. I had my Nokian snow/all-season tires on both days, as it is STILL winter in Minnesota.

The first day was dry. I was surprised to find that the Nokian WR-G2 to be better than the stock Michelin Primacy HC (except, perhaps, under braking). The second day had rain and/or sleet all day with temperatures of 32-33 F. The track was wet, not icy, all day and the Nokians had VERY little grip in these conditions.

What was clear on both days was that doing the pedal dance was vitally important for performance, control and consistency on both days. I think the culprit is the "emergency brake assist."

In the wet in the afternoon, there was a turn that was so slow I used first gear. After braking heavily for this turn on one lap, I let off the brake, got on the gas, and started to let out the clutch. Surprise! the car was still braking for a moment resulting in quite a lurch, not the smooth transition I normally get. After applying the pedal dance, this was a complete non-issue. In the dry, the difference was a bit more subtle, but still very noticeable.

I urge all who autocross or track their cars to try the pedal dance. Be aware that if you are overdriving your grip with the nannies on, you may not have a good experience after applying the pedal dance. If, however, you approach this new mode with some caution, you will be rewarded with a more consistent and controllable car.
this is from auto factory
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECWfYPEsRM"]TOYOTA86 TRC・VSV Perfect Cut System 電*デバ ス完全攻略~操作編 ~ - YouTube[/ame]

anyone know what they are using?

it does the pedal dance with the push of a button

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
If I leave my tablet and odb2 bt connector online and reatart the car usually for whatevr reason my abs light and traction control are all disabled. Must be some type of bug. The thing is even though you maybe able to bypass ABS and the EBD the hardware and the way the car responds is nothing like a car without it. In fact there is absolutely no way I would trust braking at over 100 miles an hour with these systems pseudo disabled.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
If I leave my tablet and odb2 bt connector online and reatart the car usually for whatevr reason my abs light and traction control are all disabled. Must be some type of bug. The thing is even though you maybe able to bypass ABS and the EBD the hardware and the way the car responds is nothing like a car without it. In fact there is absolutely no way I would trust braking at over 100 miles an hour with these systems pseudo disabled.
This is interesting. What kind of tablet/app/BT connector? How repeatable is this bug - does it happen all the time, only when the car is warmed up, etc.?
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
This is interesting. What kind of tablet/app/BT connector? How repeatable is this bug - does it happen all the time, only when the car is warmed up, etc.?
Its almost repeatable every other start. Nexus7 with OBDII Link MX, Torque and Race Meter, in fast communications mode. Leave software running and BT on, turn off car remove key and then restart car. Usually you will either get a CEL or just the VSC/ABS light. ABS is full off as well, I could lock up the wheels, but would never attempt on track.