follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
I miss tcoat's old profile picture.
Me too!
Old 04-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #30
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Me too!
OMG tears of joy.

It's funny how society turns us from nelson to flanders as we grow up. *except on internet where everyone let their inner nelson go all out.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (04-13-2018), Tcoat (04-10-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #31
JustSomeGuy
A Nobody

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
The chrome one? Can he be real? Seriously? How does one become that much of a tool? He's just laughable.

Too much crying, fake drama and seriousness for me. Its just TV fodder, even some of the participants don't know much about cars, they were picked more for the life stories.
yeah the chrome one, his race was horrendous aha the light was still red and he took off not to mention his whole attitude was so punchable aha

i painfully watched all episodes though just to see the outcome of all the winners but those sleeper guys are such whiners, dont get me wrong what some of them can do is cool and all but still aha
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #32
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The attitudes and perspectives seem 1 dimensional and contrived. Just another dumb/pseudo-reality car show like the countless iterations on History/A&E/etc etc.

"It's easy to just go buy something fast.. I'm proud to built my...."
"I don't want to see something with this prestige get beating by some hoopty."

psssshhh.. Give me a break. The Viper owner who dedicated the race to his dead dog almost caused my eyes to roll right the F outta my head.
Phantobe (04-30-2018), SCQTT (04-12-2018), Tcoat (04-11-2018), venturaII (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #33
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
"It's easy to just go buy something fast.. "

Haha! If it's so easy, then why isn't everyone driving a Porsche?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #34
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Haha! If it's so easy, then why isn't everyone driving a Porsche?
That's why I hate that comment. It's NOT easy to buy something that's fast unless you were born rich. For the rest of the population, what it takes to have enough discretionary money to buy a super car is often vastly more difficult than building something in your garage with a big motor, a big turbo or both.

Conversely the supercar elitist chump (viper) who looks down their nose at people who put in countless hours of time/sweat/money/creativity into creating something of their own is so cliche that when you see it as a viewer it's impossible the guy is real.

In the first episode the supercar guy (friend of Paul Walker) was clearly a car-guy who was very interested in everyone else's car, had a good attitude and was generally amenable. I thought the series had potential if cooler heads prevailed but alas, I was very wrong. Episodes 2 and 3 were like scripted garbage from the cable networks everyone today has (rightly) forgotten.
venturaII (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #35
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Manufactured drama is what passes for entertainment. People who already have miserable lives enjoy seeing other people equally as miserable, real or not.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #36
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Watched it, liked the concept, liked the format, hated just about everyone featured. The backgrounds and featured material was nice, but everyone was such an asshole about everything. All the sleeper car owners just wanted to scoff at the supercar owners, their attitudes just sucked.

Assorted musings:
-Loved the overall winner. Won't spoil it here, but I thoroughly enjoyed who became champ.
-Chrome lambo dude was awesome, sorry. He could've been completely insufferable, but he never felt like he was turning his nose up at people or stuffy. He had a particular style he loved and did it no matter what. At least to me, he didn't come across as snobby.
-Dude's dead brother-in-law should've quit racing when he got a family. Tribute car is fast as hell, dude's death is sad, but he should've known better.
-A lot of criminals on this show, openly admitted street-racers.
-RX-2 episode broke my heart.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 AM   #37
kevman_101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If they do another season, it should have a rule of no AWD if they stay on a lake bed for a 1/4 mile. That final race was the most predictable race ever. OR race at the 4 lane strip and have eliminations.

And that RX-2 was awsome. Stupid electric cars ruin everything.
kevman_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #38
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
spoiler!!!!!alert!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
yeah the chrome one, his race was horrendous aha the light was still red and he took off not to mention his whole attitude was so punchable aha

i painfully watched all episodes though just to see the outcome of all the winners but those sleeper guys are such whiners, dont get me wrong what some of them can do is cool and all but still aha
Yeah but it was all setup...

The ultimate winner was NOT in a stock lamborghini... He said it was twin turbo...So in reality, IT was a TUNER CAR@@!!!!

That he "borrowed" from a friend who's business is to RENT exotics... Yeah his friend said, I'm not going to have one of my businesses cars shown up by a mitsubishi, here take my twin turbo huracan...lol

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #39
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Yeah but it was all setup...

The ultimate winner was NOT in a stock lamborghini... He said it was twin turbo...So in reality, IT was a TUNER CAR@@!!!!

That he "borrowed" from a friend who's business is to RENT exotics... Yeah his friend said, I'm not going to have one of my businesses cars shown up by a mitsubishi, here take my twin turbo huracan...lol

Jaden
Lol thought it was stock...

Welp I just skipped to the last 10 minutes of every episode to see the race

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #40
RallySTI

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How has no one mentioned the BAT lady...

Since I have a DSM in the garage, 92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD ( yes it runs ) I was very excited to see the Colt. When the owner said it runs 9's... I thought this thing will clean house...but knew it was doomed the second he said it was FWD.
RallySTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #41
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
Lol thought it was stock...

Welp I just skipped to the last 10 minutes of every episode to see the race
When he was showing the car to the other guys before the last race, he says "Yeah don't look at those turbos there".
plus it wasn't the same car he raced the first time to get into the finals if I'm remembering correctly.

Jaden

edit: Just reviewed it. Go to 24:98 of the last episode and he starts by saying it's a bone stock huracan....Then a few seconds later they cut to him with the bonnet popped and he says "Don't look too close at the turbos there".

Yeah, Huracans do not come with turbos stock...

Last edited by Jaden; 05-04-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
Phantobe (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #42
pcguru2000

Drives: toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I discovered that much like any sport if you don't know the people and the teams it is as boring as hell to watch. Two cars go really fast for a few seconds and one wins by a fraction of a second. Then you sit for 10 minutes waiting while the next pair get set up just to see somebody else win by a fraction of a second. I would presume that the same applies to watching any type of race though since watching random cars drive in circles or pass by one point every few minutes would get old really quickly. If you have no vested interest in one certain person/team then there is nothing to maintain any form of entertainment. They just become a bunch of cars driving around quickly.
Now, driving really fast for 10 to 15 seconds and beating that other guy by a fraction of a second is a whole different story. Same applies to going in a circle or making a bunch of turns.
Very true only if all the vehicles look the same and there doesn't seem to be an inherent advantage. In a drag race, you are looking for the unexpected or something special. A lot of people watch for an engine blowing up or an accident.
Drag race:
I.e. A ford focus winning against a ferrari. It's common knowledge that a ferrari would beat a ford focus, so great knowledge of mechanical/team ability is not needed.

Road race:
A toyota 86 beating the snot out of a mustang GT or higher or even a challenger. This might require a little more general street knowledge that a dodge challenger should be faster than a toyota 86, just from 2nd and 3rd hand knowledge.

Road race:
Toyota grand prix celebrity race. You are rooting for the celebrity you most like. You are also watching for accidents.

Sports:
I don't watch sports, but I've been to baseball games and most of the time, I'm not really paying attention, except for the time when all the bases are loaded, and the next batter goes up.

Space shuttle/Rocket Launch: The awe of something that powerful. Not hooray, we're getting a new weather satellite.

In regard to OP, I watched a few episodes of the show. The show feels scripted but interesting. I think they should have had a re-run of the d-bag attorney racing the other three people again but without launch control.
pcguru2000 is offline   Reply With Quote