follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opinion on paint TRD style lip and front sides for FR-S

Hi guys. I recently pulled the trigger on the Bayson R TRD rep lip and sideskirts. Depending upon fitment I was thinking about painting it myself. My car is a 2015 and is the notoriously difficult to match Halo.

A couple of questions:

Would you recommend picking up the cans of matched paint from the following site: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

Or.. do you think going for white plastidip + pearlizer would be a close match.

Obviously the plastidip isn't permanent as is the nature of plastidip.

Has anyone done similarly? Also does the black plastic as it is shipped match the unpainted plastic for the front bumper inserts or do people typically paint this as well? If so what color code do they typically use?
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
Hi guys. I recently pulled the trigger on the Bayson R TRD rep lip and sideskirts. Depending upon fitment I was thinking about painting it myself. My car is a 2015 and is the notoriously difficult to match Halo.
Well HELLO @gtslow ......... I didn't realize there was another white FR-S in Puyallup......

I drive the white one, you may have seen driving between Manorwood, the grocery store, the bank, the smoke shop and back to Manorwood subdivision.

Yes, the dirty one ....... with its turn signal on.

Having painted several cars, back in the day (when they were all black) (not really ...... ), I would recommend that you reconsider painting those pieces yourself.

I'd suggest that you have them painted at a professional paint shop ...... then when you don't think they match, you can blame them ......

Nope, I don't know of any good paint shops in the area.

If you see me around town ...... get out of my way, don't slow me down ...... cause I got a K&N drop in air filter ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well HELLO @gtslow ......... I didn't realize there was another white FR-S in Puyallup......

I drive the white one, you may have seen driving between Manorwood, the grocery store, the bank, the smoke shop and back to Manorwood subdivision.

Having painted several cars, back in the day (when they were all black) (not really ...... ), I would recommend that you reconsider painting those pieces yourself.

I'd suggest that you have them painted at a professional paint shop ...... then when you don't think they match, you can blame them ......

If you see me around town ...... get out of my way, don't slow me down ...... cause I got a K&N drop in air filter ......

humfrz
Jeez, Mrs. Humfrz keeps you busy eh?

Edit: Also, WOW. Drop in filter? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-10-2016), Tcoat (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Jeez, Mrs. Humfrz keeps you busy eh?

Edit: Also, WOW. Drop in filter? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE
Yep, I do ALL of that in between taking the granddaughters to school and picking them up from school. Hardly leaves me time for a two hour nap .....

Yep, drop in filter ..... WITH the sticker ........ AND my hidden power mod ...... a nameless muffler ...... they don't give stickers ?.... because they are "nameless" ..........??

humfrz
Cole (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
You live very close to my wife's friends I believe. Near Shaw rd? I live in the Belmont community over by Woodland. My car is commonly seen parked at Masterpark Garage at Seatac and driving between my house, LA Fitness and Chipotle when I am home.

Back on topic.. is this thread in the wrong place? Should it be in the cosmetic mods forum?
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #6
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
You live very close to my wife's friends I believe. Near Shaw rd? I live in the Belmont community over by Woodland. My car is commonly seen parked at Masterpark Garage at Seatac and driving between my house, LA Fitness and Chipotle when I am home.

Back on topic.. is this thread in the wrong place? Should it be in the cosmetic mods forum?
Yep, we live off of Shaw road.

Chipotle ..........

Your thread is OK where it is.....

humfrz
Cole (03-10-2016)