follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #85
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
Also how do these threads always turn into a "oh no turbo, we want turbo" circlejerk?
Because of all the Mustang and WRX drivers on the forum who bought the wrong car.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-13-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 02:37 AM   #86
unlimited86

Drives: s2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
FYI for anyone that doesn't know, these cars are built and sold for the purpose of cup car racing which have power and weight restrictions per class based on the specs of the production vehicle. There will likely never be a power increase in any of these future spec'd models until the production model gets a bump in power.

TLDR ~ Pay no attention to these cars, they are only for a select group of companies and enthusiasts.

Exactly, this car is not built for the regular consumer, Don't understand whats with the complaint when most of you guys will not even get a chance to get this car since it's only in japan.
unlimited86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:51 AM   #87
Noble713

Drives: MkIV Supra & Evo X
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xia View Post
57k? 57K?! 57K?!?!?
Yeah, welcome to Japan, where the entire consumer base is a captive market, ready and willing to fork over their cash for massively overpriced goods because.....well, it's Japan, and things are expensive, right? Almost no one speaks a foreign language so they can't even check English-language websites for prices/products elsewhere in the world and realize they're getting screwed.

Don't ask questions and give Toyota your money.

For example, a Lexus IS 350 F-Sport costs nearly $7k more in Japan (where it's built) than it does in the US (after it's shipped halfway around the planet). I brought this up to my GF and her only rebuttal was "Well....Lexus is a status symbol. If it was cheap.....nobody would want to buy it." -_-
Old 10-10-2014, 04:04 AM   #88
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
So, what you're saying is basically "I don't want this car to be made better because then I would have an inferior version." ??? lol
In some ways yes. Not saying I'd buy the updated parts, but you wouldnt be a little bit pissed if they did that? I'm sure tons of people on here would be up in arms.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #89
jlugo711

Drives: 2014 GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Am I the only one interested in that rear seat delete?
jlugo711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #90
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlugo711 View Post
Am I the only one interested in that rear seat delete?
Even better idea. Get rid of those useless seats, give it 280BHP, $30,000, itd be in my garage.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #91
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
Yeah, welcome to Japan, where the entire consumer base is a captive market, ready and willing to fork over their cash for massively overpriced goods because.....well, it's Japan, and things are expensive, right? Almost no one speaks a foreign language so they can't even check English-language websites for prices/products elsewhere in the world and realize they're getting screwed.

Don't ask questions and give Toyota your money.

For example, a Lexus IS 350 F-Sport costs nearly $7k more in Japan (where it's built) than it does in the US (after it's shipped halfway around the planet). I brought this up to my GF and her only rebuttal was "Well....Lexus is a status symbol. If it was cheap.....nobody would want to buy it." -_-
Almost no one speak foreign language? Are you kidding me? You're located in Okinawa! Half of the major store have some employee that speak English, Spanish, Italian & German. I know this, cuz my brother live there & he's hired as English translator.

& I know for the fact Japanese ppl look other country's site for more info. Several dozen times, Japanese ppl have messaged me in my blog site about the twins info. Have you even check 2chan? Some of these NEET go all over the world's site & get the info and even get it translated.

Also, cuz your gf doesn't know, so I'll answer it for you why IS 350 F-Sport is more expensive than US. Reason is due to the huge ass engine & chassis size. Believe it or not, after 2L gov make company add tax/fine for each .1L (or .5L iirc). That's same w chassis length. That's why there are so many kei-car in Japan. If you don't believe me, look it up.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #92
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i like the canards. thats about it.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #93
bunny86

Drives: Starlet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All things considered the price is fair given all the upgraded parts although I'm surprised to see there is no carbon hood/bonnet. As they are only making 100 units they could have even bumped up the price more for the exclusivity factor.

I'm also wondering if they will make the new (to TRD) front fenders, rear diffuser and side skirts available to buy separately?
bunny86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #94
Noble713

Drives: MkIV Supra & Evo X
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Almost no one speak foreign language? Are you kidding me? You're located in Okinawa! Half of the major store have some employee that speak English, Spanish, Italian & German. I know this, cuz my brother live there & he's hired as English translator.
Major stores that cater to tourists? Perhaps. Pretty much anywhere else on island (for example, small ramen shops) English will get you nowhere. This is despite the fact that Okinawa has had ~50,000 native English speakers (the military and their families) here for decades. And most of the store staff speak pretty threadbare English, at that. The most fluent English-speakers I know are all mainlanders, with university educations and foreign travel experience.

Quote:
& I know for the fact Japanese ppl look other country's site for more info. Several dozen times, Japanese ppl have messaged me in my blog site about the twins info. Have you even check 2chan? Some of these NEET go all over the world's site & get the info and even get it translated.
1. It could be a side-effect of my over-exposure to Okinawans. Not exactly a proliferation of world-knowledgeable computer-users here amongst the car scene....or anywhere else except maybe the universities.

2. Are you sure you also aren't experiencing the selection bias/echo chamber effect?

Quote:
Also, cuz your gf doesn't know, so I'll answer it for you why IS 350 F-Sport is more expensive than US. Reason is due to the huge ass engine & chassis size. Believe it or not, after 2L gov make company add tax/fine for each .1L (or .5L iirc). That's same w chassis length. That's why there are so many kei-car in Japan. If you don't believe me, look it up.
You mean this is in addition to the displacement-based road tax that we pay every year?!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #95
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
Major stores that cater to tourists? Perhaps. Pretty much anywhere else on island (for example, small ramen shops) English will get you nowhere. This is despite the fact that Okinawa has had ~50,000 native English speakers (the military and their families) here for decades. And most of the store staff speak pretty threadbare English, at that. The most fluent English-speakers I know are all mainlanders, with university educations and foreign travel experience.

1. It could be a side-effect of my over-exposure to Okinawans. Not exactly a proliferation of world-knowledgeable computer-users here amongst the car scene....or anywhere else except maybe the universities.

2. Are you sure you also aren't experiencing the selection bias/echo chamber effect?

You mean this is in addition to the displacement-based road tax that we pay every year?!
Huh, last time I visited my fam (in Okinawa) most of the place I went had someone who spoke English.

& please don't compare Okinawa & Japan. That's like comparing Hawaii to US. They're same country, but they're totally different. Yes, I'm half Okinawan, so I know this lol

& yes, it's different from annual fee/tax you need to pay for registration. It's company pay to gov & not you pay to the gov.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 10-10-2014 at 06:05 PM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ichitaka05 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-13-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #96
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
In some ways yes. Not saying I'd buy the updated parts, but you wouldnt be a little bit pissed if they did that? I'm sure tons of people on here would be up in arms.
Haha, it's a normal human reaction, I think... but also a pretty greedy/self-centered way to think. Owning a potentially outdated/inferior version of a product is always a risk you run by choosing to be an early adopter. Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes... Buying the latest and greatest right as it comes out can be bad for the wallet.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #97
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sooooo......not one single person has mentioned the most influential part of the car contributing to its price...

The transmission.

The car is actually named after it. And it's a damn expensive transmission with an frs wrapped around it.
Tcoat (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #98
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Haha, it's a normal human reaction, I think... but also a pretty greedy/self-centered way to think. Owning a potentially outdated/inferior version of a product is always a risk you run by choosing to be an early adopter. Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes... Buying the latest and greatest right as it comes out can be bad for the wallet.
Like a first gen plasma tv for huge bucks or almost any top line computer 10 years ago when they were outclassed a month later (not so much any more). Guilty of both those myself!