follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #701
g33k

Drives: 2009 Nissan Altima, 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I really need to do my research into jumping over to Intel. This was my first amd build and while yes it is good for budget builds, I am left wanting more performance. I can respect what Amd is doing with their apus but they aren't for me. I am planning on going with Asus for the board again. I've been nothing but pleased with it. I am just overwhelmed with how many boards are available and so many platforms. Lifes caught up with me and my geeky-ness has fallen.
g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #702
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
What makes Fallout so special? Never played. Is it like COD but with more of a storyline or?
Pretty much what @Vladimir Tutin said.

I like the "free world" approach to games in general. The story line is not linear, and you can go off in the game and practically never do the main storyline but still have lots to do. Also, the character building makes almost every person's experience different as most dialogs have multiple outcomes.

Primarily it's the connection you get with the characters.

If you want to try it cheap, Steam is selling Fallout 3 cheap (I think it was under $5 yesterday). That is a hell of a deal for the amount of content you get.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #703
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Pretty much what @Vladimir Tutin said.

I like the "free world" approach to games in general. The story line is not linear, and you can go off in the game and practically never do the main storyline but still have lots to do. Also, the character building makes almost every person's experience different as most dialogs have multiple outcomes.

Primarily it's the connection you get with the characters.

If you want to try it cheap, Steam is selling Fallout 3 cheap (I think it was under $5 yesterday). That is a hell of a deal for the amount of content you get.
Honestly, I was slightly disappointed with the FO4 story line. Very morally ambiguous with most choices, not enough options to end things without combat. I finished the game very quickly as well. Have discovered around 130 locations, finished over 120 quests, finished every ending, maxed out all the companions and got to level 64. It took me less than 2 weeks (however, that included 4 days that I took off from work, and invested 8-10 hours into the game on each day I was off)

The game itself is great, a lot of improvements to it's mechanics from FO3 and FO:NV. Just lacked in the amount of story line. I'm sure I haven't done like 400 other side quests, but the fucking Minutemen story line is the absolute worst. Probably the most annoying part of the game for me, with rinse and repeat quests in different locations that you've already discovered, so it's not even like you'll find something new.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #704
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
........but the fucking Minutemen story line is the absolute worst. Probably the most annoying part of the game for me, with rinse and repeat quests in different locations that you've already discovered, so it's not even like you'll find something new.
I do agree with this. I eventually just stopped returning to report completion so I wouldn't get another. I got so tied up in this one thread I wasn't getting anywhere in the primary threads.

Still, some definite improvements in the mechanics and in the quality of the game, particularly given they are using the same engine as FO3. I was amazed how good it looked (and playable) on my Radeon 7850 video card. I have since upgraded to an R9 390X, at it's just stunning.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #705
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Honestly, I was slightly disappointed with the FO4 story line. Very morally ambiguous with most choices, not enough options to end things without combat. I finished the game very quickly as well. Have discovered around 130 locations, finished over 120 quests, finished every ending, maxed out all the companions and got to level 64. It took me less than 2 weeks (however, that included 4 days that I took off from work, and invested 8-10 hours into the game on each day I was off)

The game itself is great, a lot of improvements to it's mechanics from FO3 and FO:NV. Just lacked in the amount of story line. I'm sure I haven't done like 400 other side quests, but the fucking Minutemen story line is the absolute worst. Probably the most annoying part of the game for me, with rinse and repeat quests in different locations that you've already discovered, so it's not even like you'll find something new.
Quote:
I do agree with this. I eventually just stopped returning to report completion so I wouldn't get another. I got so tied up in this one thread I wasn't getting anywhere in the primary threads.

Still, some definite improvements in the mechanics and in the quality of the game, particularly given they are using the same engine as FO3. I was amazed how good it looked (and playable) on my Radeon 7850 video card. I have since upgraded to an R9 390X, at it's just stunning.
See I have the opposite opinion. I have pretty much just wandered around and complete quests at random as they turn up and I am in the area. I sort of like the aspect that you don't have to get tied to one path. Even the repetition of the minute man ones doesn't bother me since I just leave them until I happen to be passing through. That bloody mirelurk queen at the fort did make me walk all the way back to Sanctuary in the middle of the fight to get my power armour though. It will take me months of regular play to get through it since I frequently see something shiny, forget what I was doing and wander off to look at it. I also never ever use quick travel so a pile of time is spent walking from place to place and battling the random encounters that pop up on the way.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #706
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
See I have the opposite opinion. I have pretty much just wandered around and complete quests at random as they turn up and I am in the area. I sort of like the aspect that you don't have to get tied to one path. Even the repetition of the minute man ones doesn't bother me since I just leave them until I happen to be passing through. That bloody mirelurk queen at the fort did make me walk all the way back to Sanctuary in the middle of the fight to get my power armour though. It will take me months of regular play to get through it since I frequently see something shiny, forget what I was doing and wander off to look at it. I also never ever use quick travel so a pile of time is spent walking from place to place and battling the random encounters that pop up on the way.
Actually what you describe is how I play pretty much 99% of the time. The problem with the Minuteman ones were they started timing out on me, so I would have to restore, then fast travel to the site (which I don't normally do) just to handle the issue. I suppose that is more real life than things just waiting around for me, but it always seemed like it was on the other side of the map when it happened.

Still, I have somewhere around 150 hours in the game and have only done about 4 steps of the main mission.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #707
malave7567

Drives: (formerly) 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I was amazed how good it looked (and playable) on my Radeon 7850 video card. I have since upgraded to an R9 390X, at it's just stunning.
Unrelated to FO4, but I just upgraded from my Radeon 7850 to a GTX 970 a couple months ago. I'm about 50 hours into playing Witcher 3 on a 1440p monitor, and I'm loving it. The 7850 lasted me a long time though, and I transferred it over to my wife's microATX build. Now I just need to find a cheap, used i5/i7 on LGA 1155 so that it will run at PCI 3.0 speeds instead of 2.0 speeds. The mobo can do it, her current CPU doesn't support it.

Her budget build started with a LGA1155 Celeron dual-core CPU and a much older 5000-series Radeon HD, but it always inherits anything I pass down as I upgrade... Maybe I'll upgrade mobo's again so she can get my Ivy Bridge i5. . Only problem is that I see no reason to upgrade from Ivy Bridge at the moment, as it still performs great.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #708
Tcoat

Quote:
Actually what you describe is how I play pretty much 99% of the time. The problem with the Minuteman ones were they started timing out on me, so I would have to restore, then fast travel to the site (which I don't normally do) just to handle the issue. I suppose that is more real life than things just waiting around for me, but it always seemed like it was on the other side of the map when it happened.

Still, I have somewhere around 150 hours in the game and have only done about 4 steps of the main mission.
Oh I haven't had anything time out on me yet. Better watch for that though.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #709
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm still playing FO4 since its release. Level 50 now and I'm still discovering new areas. I did a sneak playthrough so I never touched power armor or used companions until now.

Strong with a kneecapper super sledge is pretty awesome. Tried other companions but they all have a terrible shot and waste ammo.

Also playing on the hardest difficulty will give you more legendary drops.

Past: 458 Italia, R35 GTR, E36/E46/F80 M3, 335i, Scion FRS
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humdizzle For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #710
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh I haven't had anything time out on me yet. Better watch for that though.
It doesn't give you a lot of notice, in fact one or two got past me and just ended up in the completed mission list. Just a pop-up in the upper left corner telling you the mission failed. Seems to happen more with things that end up as "Miscellaneous" (or whatever the generic missions get grouped together as at the bottom of the active list). It happens more frequently with the "<settlement> is under attack" missions that pop up.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #711
Tcoat

Quote:
It doesn't give you a lot of notice, in fact one or two got past me and just ended up in the completed mission list. Just a pop-up in the upper left corner telling you the mission failed. Seems to happen more with things that end up as "Miscellaneous" (or whatever the generic missions get grouped together as at the bottom of the active list). It happens more frequently with the "<settlement> is under attack" missions that pop up.
Hmmmm. Must check my completed list I may have missed something completely. Not that it matters but I like to actually complete them.
Dadhawk (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #712
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
Unrelated to FO4, but I just upgraded from my Radeon 7850 to a GTX 970 a couple months ago. I'm about 50 hours into playing Witcher 3 on a 1440p monitor, and I'm loving it. The 7850 lasted me a long time though, and I transferred it over to my wife's microATX build. Now I just need to find a cheap, used i5/i7 on LGA 1155 so that it will run at PCI 3.0 speeds instead of 2.0 speeds. The mobo can do it, her current CPU doesn't support it.
The 7800 series was a pretty rock solid series. My XFX 7870 was still loading battlefield and rainbow six siege on high and medium, respectively.

It was a great card and series and has yet to be obsolete.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
malave7567 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #713
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm still trudging along in Hobo Simulator 4, gathering mechanical fans and telephones. Playing without fast travel is insane, methinks. I'm not a huge fan of the wide world simulation. I hated all the MMORPGs, partly for that reason and partly for the constant grind. Oh, look, more raiders. I can kill a deathclaw in a few seconds. A behmoth is fodder. I'm not even level 40 yet. With most weapons, enemies are one-shot kills. Granted, there's one more level of hardness to step up to. I'm so conflicted on this game, but it certainly is addictive!
EAGLE5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-06-2016), Tcoat (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #714
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I'm still trudging along in Hobo Simulator 4, gathering mechanical fans and telephones. Playing without fast travel is insane, methinks. I'm not a huge fan of the wide world simulation. I hated all the MMORPGs, partly for that reason and partly for the constant grind. Oh, look, more raiders. I can kill a deathclaw in a few seconds. A behmoth is fodder. I'm not even level 40 yet. With most weapons, enemies are one-shot kills. Granted, there's one more level of hardness to step up to. I'm so conflicted on this game, but it certainly is addictive!
LOLOLOLOL Hobo simulator is probably the best description ever. Early in the game I need some aluminum for a weapon mod and I got so excited when I found a room with a bunch of cans strewn separately all over the floor. I dug through them all chucking the steel ones and keeping the aluminum. I actually thought to myself "I bet I look like that guy on the trike that digs through the recycling bin every garbage day".
As mundane as things like that can be it is something I actually enjoy about the game.
Dadhawk (01-06-2016), EAGLE5 (01-06-2016)

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080