follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2022, 04:02 PM   #813
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is the any explanation as to the disconnect between customer preference and the production of cars with manual and automatic transmissions? Does the red Limited manual coming down the assembly line start out with someone’s name attached to it or is it more like when you get to the donut shop and they are out of jelly donuts? But, there is a full tray of pink frosted ones that will go half off tomorrow morning.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:00 PM   #814
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if more cars are on their way to the US or is what’s out there all that’s left?

Last edited by Liquidsnake; 04-16-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Liquidsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:11 PM   #815
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
Is the any explanation as to the disconnect between customer preference and the production of cars with manual and automatic transmissions? Does the red Limited manual coming down the assembly line start out with someone’s name attached to it or is it more like when you get to the donut shop and they are out of jelly donuts? But, there is a full tray of pink frosted ones that will go half off tomorrow morning.
Unfortunately Toyota will have locked in their orders for the material going down the line today probably a year in advance, so I doubt they have much flexibility to alter plans. I hope to god they do though. Maybe defer AT material orders to next year? Unlikely.

Toyota doesn’t put peoples names on cars like Subaru sorta does. They build what they build then the allocations get divvied out to dealers every 2 weeks. (Even Subaru’s process is just earmarking cars that were long planned to be built.) If and how Toyota tries to line allocations up with customer preference orders is a mystery, at least to me. I’m not sure I want to know at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
Does anyone know if more cars are on their way to the US or is what’s out there all that’s left?
There were 3200 cars delivered in Q1, I’d guess the same will come in Q2 and Q3 give or take a few thousand hah. Seems like factory definitely had some stumbles recently but no news of it being shuttered for more than a few days at a time.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:21 AM   #816
DylanJZA

Drives: GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
I don't think anyone is having trouble getting ATs. My dealer seems to be steadily getting one at a time and showed me many available allocations at nearby dealers. He sees no MTs in the pipeline to his dealership or available allocations within 1000mi. The production line needs to stop making ATs and try to fulfill the demand for MTs.
I think it's easier globally, but I can't say I think it's no trouble per se given my car was one of if not the first GR86 that went through the dealer I bought it at (plus msrp), and I've been keeping track of other dealers here as well. And oddly enough, we have local dealers in OR that have gotten manuals within the time frame I had my car reserved. Two premiums and two base MT and none were spoken for when I inquired. That said, only one of those was listed for msrp.

That said, my experience is only for my area in Oregon.

For reference, based on memory (~month ago):

Wilsonville Toyota - Base MT (msrp iirc)
Lithia Toyota, Springfield - Premium MT
Newport Toyota - Base MT
Newport Toyota - Premium MT

Last edited by DylanJZA; 04-17-2022 at 01:56 AM.
DylanJZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:57 AM   #817
drivejumpfly

Drives: Toyota
Newport seems to have all of their MTs reserved, and I only get calls about ATs. Good group of people to talk with on the phone though.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:54 AM   #818
DylanJZA

yeah, I by no means am saying they weren't spoken for quickly, but they're out there around here.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #819
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Got another email from my salesman about an AT with otherwise my spec on the way. I'll be curious to ask him if they're sitting on the lot or selling fairly quickly after arriving. I can imagine some people in the Denver area wanting AT for traffic.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 10:44 PM   #820
DylanJZA

That's the only reason I got mine as a DD. Otherwise, I wouldn't give a damn about Eyesight or any other tech stuff like that and just enjoy a manual like I do the Supra on the backroads. Shame I had to make a compromise, but it still drives like a dream (granted the Perrin 2.5" is a little droney around 2k).
Old 04-17-2022, 11:27 PM   #821
Liquidsnake

I’m fine with an automatic if I could find an automatic tomorrow I’d get one my problem is the mark ups and availability. I am trying to take advantage of the used car market and end my lease early while I still have equity while trying to time out the fact that I have no idea when this car is going to be available to any of us. It’s a really sucky position to be in these markets are killing me
Old 04-18-2022, 01:39 AM   #822
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
I’m fine with an automatic if I could find an automatic tomorrow I’d get one my problem is the mark ups and availability. I am trying to take advantage of the used car market and end my lease early while I still have equity while trying to time out the fact that I have no idea when this car is going to be available to any of us. It’s a really sucky position to be in these markets are killing me
That’s the rub isn’t it? The reason you are having trouble finding one without markup is the same reason you have equity in your lease.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-18-2022), Tcoat (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 06:03 AM   #823
Lelandjt

Quote:
I got the impression from 2 different dealers that there are MANY unspoken for AT allocations all over the county. Depending how far you're willing to drive I'd think you could find one for MSRP, destination, and paperwork fee but no straight up markup.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #824
Liquidsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
I got the impression from 2 different dealers that there are MANY unspoken for AT allocations all over the county. Depending how far you're willing to drive I'd think you could find one for MSRP, destination, and paperwork fee but no straight up markup.
I think my only hesitation with getting a car out of state is the trouble California makes you go through when you bring the car into the state and watch some videos online and read some stuff that just makes it seem like it’s a nightmare a total nightmare.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:28 PM   #825
Lelandjt

Quote:
I think my only hesitation with getting a car out of state is the trouble California makes you go through when you bring the car into the state and watch some videos online and read some stuff that just makes it seem like it’s a nightmare a total nightmare.
Ah yes, California, different situation.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #826
drivejumpfly

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Not sure what you mean. The car meets 50 state emissions so just have your paperwork ready and make an appointment before hand. It's a problem when the car does not meet 50 state emissions. You will have to pay the difference in sales tax and then use tax.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote