follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2022, 02:05 PM   #757
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can't seem to get a GR86 at MSRP here lol
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 02:09 PM   #758
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
I can't seem to get a GR86 at MSRP here lol
Have you ventured further from home? It really varies drastically from market area to market area.

Oh and looking at this is LOL at people talking about a $32K GR Corolla!
Dadhawk (04-10-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 02:30 PM   #759
Alltezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Have you ventured further from home? It really varies drastically from market area to market area.

Oh and looking at this is LOL at people talking about a $32K GR Corolla!
I have, but I'd have to wait until October. I'm not in too much of a hurry to spend this kind of money another dealership in another part of my state is wanting 40K OTD essentially.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #760
Tcoat

Quote:
I have, but I'd have to wait until October. I'm not in too much of a hurry to spend this kind of money another dealership in another part of my state is wanting 40K OTD essentially.

Don't think that anybody around here was marking them up at all but that is totally irrelevant since nobody has any to sell anyway.

The local dealer by work has a new Rav4 in stock. That is the extent of their stock of anything. One single Rav4.

The irony lies in that the Rav4 is built literally 3 blocks away and they still only have one.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #761
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When you consider that a dealership that would normally sell a few cars a day only has 1 car in stock, but still has to pay rent and payroll, can you blame them for trying to get as much as they can for anything they have to sell? Figure in that I can currently find only 1 unclaimed white, base, manual in the country and I'd say that dealership in Phoenix wasn't too outrageous asking me for $41k. For that money I'll get a used M2 but I didn't take offense to their position. This is the price we pay as a global community in exchange for trying to reduce covid infections and deaths for 2 years.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lelandjt For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #762
Alltezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
When you consider that a dealership that would normally sell a few cars a day only has 1 car in stock, but still has to pay rent and payroll, can you blame them for trying to get as much as they can for anything they have to sell? Figure in that I can currently find only 1 unclaimed white, base, manual in the country and I'd say that dealership in Phoenix wasn't too outrageous asking me for $41k. For that money I'll get a used M2 but I didn't take offense to their position. This is the price we pay as a global community in exchange for trying to reduce covid infections and deaths for 2 years.

I don't blame them, but I don't support it at all or agree with it; this has been happening prior to covid though. My dealership wanted 80K for a Supra for example.
Ford Focus RS and Type R's were being marked up to as much as a C7 vette at the time.

The biggest selling point of these sports cars like the GR86/BRZs is the entry level price and these markups defeat the purpose of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (04-07-2022), Tcoat (04-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 09:00 PM   #763
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
https://www.capitolsubaru.com/
Check out what it says on their home page. "We price our vehicles at MSRP and never add a markup". That being said, they will attempt to sell you all sorts of add-on stuff. You have to make a value judgment on if it is value added for you. For a dealer to charge a market adjustment base on some concocted reason is the same thing as how concert and sporting event scalpers double and triple prices on an event that has a fixed number of seats available anyway. Does the middle man ever share the extra profit with the event producers? That's going to happen.

Take a virtual tour of their new digs. They also have a dog park and a roach coach plaza. If you walk far enough you will end up at their sister Toyota dealership where you can go to get your heart broken when you try to get a GR86.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:33 PM   #764
midenginebias

Drives: 2001 Mr2 Spyder
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
Anyone in SoCal have a dealership they recommend to talk to?
No joke. I searched out of state to Arizona at two Toyota dealerships. One of them recommended One Toyota in Oakland to get MSRP.

I've asked Tustin, Palm Springs, Clairmont, Orange. All of them 4k to 8k mark up.

Owned N/A '93 Mr2, N/A '91 Mr2, '98 Corolla, Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '07 Legacy Wagon, E90 328i well maintained and lit up on fire while driving on the freeway in traffic.
midenginebias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midenginebias For This Useful Post:
Liquidsnake (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:22 PM   #765
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
The biggest selling point of these sports cars like the GR86/BRZs is the entry level price and these markups defeat the purpose of it.
Or, it demonstrates that people are willing to pay considerably more for these cars, which supports my argument that they should make a higher trim with turbo. While I'm sure there are plenty of budget-conscious buyers looking at these cars, there are also many who are cross shopping $40-80k cars.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:37 PM   #766
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Quote:
Originally Posted by midenginebias View Post
No joke. I searched out of state to Arizona at two Toyota dealerships. One of them recommended One Toyota in Oakland to get MSRP.

I've asked Tustin, Palm Springs, Clairmont, Orange. All of them 4k to 8k mark up.
What a bummer man. I live in So Cal and it sucks right now.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:24 AM   #767
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
Or, it demonstrates that people are willing to pay considerably more for these cars, which supports my argument that they should make a higher trim with turbo. While I'm sure there are plenty of budget-conscious buyers looking at these cars, there are also many who are cross shopping $40-80k cars.
The fact that some dealers ASK for a high markup doesn't mean that they successfully SELL at that price. I can post my dirty socks for $999 on eBay, but it doesn't mean someone's going to buy them, neither does it mean that it's a fair price.

There was previously a discussion about a Subaru dealer that had BRZs on the lot with $15k markup on the sticker, and yet was selling cars at little to no markup before the New Year already. While still having huge markups written on stickers

Furthermore, even if a minority of cars do end up selling at a high markup because some people just can't wait (or do their research), doesn't mean that there is enough market for a trim at a much higher level. A higher level trim would also be marked up even higher today, and would be stickered in the "Porsche money" range.
fredzy (04-07-2022), Tcoat (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 09:04 AM   #768
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Another 2 weeks, another round of near zero GR86 allocations for my region. I think there was one dealer that got a Trueno premium 6MT but they are unabashed marker-uppers. Figures they get a car.

Earlier this year they had my exact spec I wanted, sat on it trying to get top dollar. I think it finally went for $2k markup. I hope that $2k was worth me never under any circumstances considering buying from them (They told me $5k when I first reached out to them.) Though I'm privileged to have a lot of MSRP only dealers within 2 hrs of me - not that it matters when none of them get cars. "No markup" seems to be taking off to some degree - I'm seeing it touted as a feature on dealer websites. Hopefully it pays dividends and becomes the norm.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #769
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
The fact that some dealers ASK for a high markup doesn't mean that they successfully SELL at that price. I can post my dirty socks for $999 on eBay, but it doesn't mean someone's going to buy them, neither does it mean that it's a fair price.

There was previously a discussion about a Subaru dealer that had BRZs on the lot with $15k markup on the sticker, and yet was selling cars at little to no markup before the New Year already. While still having huge markups written on stickers

Furthermore, even if a minority of cars do end up selling at a high markup because some people just can't wait (or do their research), doesn't mean that there is enough market for a trim at a much higher level. A higher level trim would also be marked up even higher today, and would be stickered in the "Porsche money" range.
THIS^
It is the dealer's job to get every penny out of a car. It is how they make their living. They are not charities or services but a business. Would anybody here take a cut in their pay because a customer said they thought they should do their work cheaper? If you could get an extra few dollars on your pay cheque would you just say no? It is no different for salespeople and dealerships.

It is the buyers job to get the product as cheap as they can. If there is a mark up, add on or other charges they are not willing to pay it is up to them to walk away. Should they pay more than a listed price? Well of course not that sets bad purchasing precedents and forces prices even higher.

Obviously these two things are at complete odds with each other. But in the long run it is the people that HAVE to have that product RIGHT NOW and are willing to pay extra for it that force prices up. If nobody buys at the inflated price then there is no incentive for the dealers to even try. Anybody remember the $50 packages of toilet paper in 2020? Same thing.
Dadhawk (04-10-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 12:02 PM   #770
mn_ca

Drives: 2013 frs, 2005 is300
I'm sure somewhere, a dealership is selling em' at msrp. My local Toyota dealership has been selling them at msrp because they want to move em. My local Subaru dealership has their white BRZ listed at $37.9k and it's been sitting there since the beginning of the year. It has since moved down to $37.5k LOL!!!
mn_ca is offline   Reply With Quote