follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD Direct Brake Line recall

Anyone know what the issue is regarding the recall/failure of the TRD brake lines? On TRD’s Japan page it states “For customer using the former spec, TOYOTA CUSTOMIZING & DEVELOPMENT Co., Ltd. will make voluntary remedies
due to the possible defect found in the stainless braided hose in the Monoblock brake kit.” It then references a link, but unfortunately that link isn’t working at all. This is in reference to the TRD Monoblock Brake kits (MS220-18003, MS220-18004) as well as their ‘Direct Brake Line’ (MS227-18001).

I’m asking because I was thinking about the Monoblock kit (4-2) in the future when I track my car more, and possibly the standard lines for the current setup, but they have discontinued pretty much all of their brake lines and I cannot find a reason for the issue. Thanks!
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:45 AM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure what the issue is, but I'm pretty sure all of the TRD Jp BBK systems are made by Brembo. You could probably use Performance Package brake lines, or stainless brake lines compatible with Brembo systems
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:41 PM   #3
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
The TRD 6 pots are Brembos, the TRD 4 pots are Advics.
Probably the recall regards th issue of most of the braided lines for our cars: when car is jacked up, the hoses slip through the brackets, and when you put the car down, the line will bend, leading to failure.
A ziptie is enough to prevent it.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (03-11-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Probably the recall regards th issue of most of the braided lines for our cars: when car is jacked up, the hoses slip through the brackets, and when you put the car down, the line will bend, leading to failure.
Possibly. The only reason why I ask is because the message shows up for all of TRD’s SS brake line kits, not just the 86. Makes me think it’s something to do manufacturing wise not just a ‘slip’. Since it is TRD Japan, there are no articles I can see stating the reason haha.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:32 PM   #5
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Not sure what the issue is, but I'm pretty sure all of the TRD Jp BBK systems are made by Brembo. You could probably use Performance Package brake lines, or stainless brake lines compatible with Brembo systems
As mentioned by the other user, the 6 pot and 4 pot are two different companies. I can bet they probably are standard SS brake lines, but without it being the same lines, I don’t get the extra 20hp (5 per each TRD logo). Either which way, I can’t find info on them since it is TRD Japan, and I don’t want to be using a defective product if it is the case.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #6
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
4pot/2pot jdm trd lines uses rubber brake lines rather than braided like the 6pot/4pot initially came with so you won't have to worry about this potential failure if you go for the 4pot/2pot kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
how the heck did you manage to find out the manufacturer of the newer 4pot/2pot kit? lol I was looking everywhere for that info last year, even contacted some japanese retailers who tried to find out from toyota japan but they refused to disclose the info lol
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:11 AM   #7
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
I read a lot of japanese websites! In this particular case, it's written in Project Mu catalog.
Strange is they don't use them as factory calipers, in fact Performance Package 4 pots are Brembo, JDM 86 GR's 6 pots ones are Advics. The advantage of these ones is that they fit into 17 inch rims.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
Bergycheese348 (05-23-2022)