follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #71
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Because if it went up from the FA20 it would be making more than 228hp. The hp/l went down, not up.
I agree its unlikely to be 13.5:1.

But going down hp/l would be just more due to the less efficient air/fuel mix as you start asking your intake/exaust and fuelling system to fill larger and larger cylinders.

I would imagine anyway - someone can surely correct me.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #72
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
I agree its unlikely to be 13.5:1.

But going down hp/l would be just more due to the less efficient air/fuel mix as you start asking your intake/exaust and fuelling system to fill larger and larger cylinders.

I would imagine anyway - someone can surely correct me.
If you scale everything else up appropriately it should actually be more efficient. Less surface area per unit of mass through the pipe.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #73
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I am betting that hp/liter is reduced because cams are somewhat less aggressive (less duration and overlap) to minimize (essentially eliminate) the torque dip. Personally I would have been fine with keeping just over 100 hp/liter and keeping the torque dip, but it seems like they've done a good job of keeping it revvy enough while making midrange nice and fat...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (07-21-2021), JesseG (07-26-2021), Spuds (07-20-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #74
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I am betting that hp/liter is reduced because cams are somewhat less aggressive (less duration and overlap) to minimize (essentially eliminate) the torque dip. Personally I would have been fine with keeping just over 100 hp/liter and keeping the torque dip, but it seems like they've done a good job of keeping it revvy enough while making midrange nice and fat...
This was exactly my thought as well when first seeing the power curve and power rating. I would be they could have gone higher, but tuned conservatively to minimize the dip so people can stop complaining. Yet I would have much rather had the bump in power and a larger looking dip in return.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #75
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Late to it, but this is probably the single best thing I've read to date. It's in no small part thanks to your real-world experience with the platform, so definitely glad you got to do this.

At this stage, my complaints are all aesthetic in nature. I really don't care for the big duckbill, but since I also don't care about the other upgrades that come with the Premium price-point - I think the wheels are ugly, and I don't care for Alcantra - I don't need to worry about it (honestly, I'd be curious to see how the deck lid looks completely smooth). I don't think the interior dash sculpting looks quite as nice as the outgoing model either but it's growing on me. Still bummed about losing the armrest grab handle though.

As my FR-S turns 9 in a couple months, I think I'll be right on track to bump up to this next year. It would be pretty handy if suspension (or at least springs) and cat-back exhaust could just swap over as well.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 04:25 PM   #76
PrayForRain

Drives: tbd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Late to it, but this is probably the single best thing I've read to date. It's in no small part thanks to your real-world experience with the platform, so definitely glad you got to do this.

At this stage, my complaints are all aesthetic in nature. I really don't care for the big duckbill, but since I also don't care about the other upgrades that come with the Premium price-point - I think the wheels are ugly, and I don't care for Alcantra - I don't need to worry about it (honestly, I'd be curious to see how the deck lid looks completely smooth). I don't think the interior dash sculpting looks quite as nice as the outgoing model either but it's growing on me. Still bummed about losing the armrest grab handle though.

As my FR-S turns 9 in a couple months, I think I'll be right on track to bump up to this next year. It would be pretty handy if suspension (or at least springs) and cat-back exhaust could just swap over as well.

Pretty close to this probably.
PrayForRain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PrayForRain For This Useful Post:
Dake (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 09:26 PM   #77
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm thinking that the gear ratios may have been tweaked on the manual for fuel economy hence the 6.1 0-60
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #78
Blighty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
If you scale everything else up appropriately it should actually be more efficient. Less surface area per unit of mass through the pipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I'm not discounting either of those thoughts (as I am just spitballing), however I will note that this article translated from Japanese, Takeki Kajikawa the head of the power unit talks about how the issue he faced when designing the FA24 for natural aspiration was the lack of Air at high revs as the cylinders are made larger but the rev limits are kept.

He suggests that in fact what helps them is the pre-mixed air from the port injection at high revs, because they are able to ignite without waiting as long for the air to mix.

Interesting to note that this quite different from the current car - which uses only direct injection at high revs.

Very interesting. Perhaps also a hint for tuners of _both_ cars at high revs to take on board.

https://translate.google.com/transla.../article/1636/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (07-29-2021), jcw99 (07-23-2021), JesseG (07-26-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #79
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Nice article. Pretty much confirmed what I had been expecting. The new car is going to feel like a 2013 FR-S running e85 and will make about the same power.

Also agree with it looking like a gen 1 with a bad body kit, but glad to hear it looks better in person.

I still love my 2013 (e85, track mods, weight reduction) even after owning it 9 years, but looking forward to the gen 2’s. I’ll probably upgrade down the road.
Did you have to get the recall repair done to your 2013? If so, how'd it go, and did you do anything special to get a good result?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #80
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
I'm gonna wait a year. I'm thinking auto this time on flex fuel
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #81
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Did you have to get the recall repair done to your 2013? If so, how'd it go, and did you do anything special to get a good result?
Yeah had to get the recall done. I specifically chose a large local dealer that had done a bunch of the recalls. I spoke to the service advisor and he said they had two master techs who handled all the recall work. Neither had had any come back for engine failures or major issues. I had the spark plugs changed while the engine was out. Tried to make it easy for them by disconnecting any mods that would be in their way (oil cooler). Afterwards did an oil change at 1k miles. If you’re really concerned, you could drop the oil pan at that point to see if any sealant bits are clogging the pickup.

My engine currently feels like it’s running strong. It’s done around 15k hard miles (track and canyon) since the recall and hasn’t missed a beat, so I feel pretty good about it. That said, I recently did a UOA that showed somewhat elevated aluminum levels in the oil (9 ppm vs 3 ppm average) so I might not be in the clear just yet. I’m not too concerned given how hard I’ve been driving this car, but it is something I’m keeping an eye on.

I think the best option is still to avoid the recall if you can. If you have to get it done, go to a large experienced dealer who has a clean track record.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:27 AM   #82
Blighty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
as the resident 86 expert on the Everyday Driver staff, I went to the soft launch at Toyota North America HQ earlier this month.

Here's what I thought:

https://www.everydaydriver.com/singl...ew-86-is-close

I also welcome any questions/etc - I couldn't put EVERYTHING I learned in the article.
Hey CatDaddy,

Will you be one of the drivers of the local test?

If so can you please try trail braking in both with the assists off?

Thank you!
Old 07-31-2021, 02:13 PM   #83
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Also, is there a way to have assists off but keep the regular circular tachometer?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #84
Blighty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Also, is there a way to have assists off but keep the regular circular tachometer?
Pretty sure you can customise it however you want.