follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #141
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,405 Times in 803 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
@DustinS or anyone else that has done this: Do yours ever say "Full Auto" when you hit the Auto button? I've noticed that even though it doesn't say it that it is in fact Full Auto. If you change which vents the flow goes then it's actually Auto, but it turns off the "Auto" indicator. I vaguely remember Rudy saying that he couldn't figure the issue out even though it's really just a cosmetic problem.

Also I'm curious about if the displays still stay "lit" for anyone even if you turn off the HVAC? For me if I turn it off only the middle indicator for air flow stays on. Not sure if that's normal for a BRZ, but I'm beginning to think this and the other issue I mentioned are related.
Didn't know it was suppose to say full auto. It makes sense to me that it would say "Auto" When you press the "Auto" button, and would turn off when you make changes.

My display does the same, and I am pretty sure I saw a picture of a BRZ that had the HVAC off and it was exactly the same.

I would assume that when the HVAC is off, it still allows fresh air in through the vents, so it still allows you to choose where the fresh air gets routed to.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #142
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Didn't know it was suppose to say full auto. It makes sense to me that it would say "Auto" When you press the "Auto" button, and would turn off when you make changes.

My display does the same, and I am pretty sure I saw a picture of a BRZ that had the HVAC off and it was exactly the same.

I would assume that when the HVAC is off, it still allows fresh air in through the vents, so it still allows you to choose where the fresh air gets routed to.
That's what I'm hoping too, but I can never remember to try asking anyone at a meet to try it so I can see. I watched a bunch of you youtube videos on reviews of the car, and though none focus long on the HVAC I could have sworn that everything was off even with the car on. Guess I'll need to find out myself.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phanguy For This Useful Post:
DustinS (03-23-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #143
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
That's what I'm hoping too, but I can never remember to try asking anyone at a meet to try it so I can see. I watched a bunch of you youtube videos on reviews of the car, and though none focus long on the HVAC I could have sworn that everything was off even with the car on. Guess I'll need to find out myself.

I actually hadn't noticed this at all, but mine does the same thing. It says Auto when you hit auto, and then the auto light turns off when you change the vent flow, but the auto is still functioning. Auto functions even if you switch the recirculate on and off. Auto only seems to actually switch off if you adjust the fan speed.
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #144
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I would like to support the cause! If there is a group buy I am in.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #145
Train

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
advance thank you to the genius that puts this harness out on the market. count me in for group buy if it happens
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Train For This Useful Post:
MemphisR (03-28-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 01:35 AM   #146
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
@DustinS or anyone else that has done this: Do yours ever say "Full Auto" when you hit the Auto button? I've noticed that even though it doesn't say it that it is in fact Full Auto. If you change which vents the flow goes then it's actually Auto, but it turns off the "Auto" indicator. I vaguely remember Rudy saying that he couldn't figure the issue out even though it's really just a cosmetic problem.

Also I'm curious about if the displays still stay "lit" for anyone even if you turn off the HVAC? For me if I turn it off only the middle indicator for air flow stays on. Not sure if that's normal for a BRZ, but I'm beginning to think this and the other issue I mentioned are related.
If it helps, here is what it looks like on my BRZ:

Press "off" button

Defrost

Full auto with dual control enabled

Full auto

---Cycle of operations when pressing mode button (in center)---
Floor

Defrost/Floor

Panel

Panel/Floor

Press the "auto" button and the display will say auto. You can change the fan speed, air flow direction, change the temperature, toggle the defroster and A/C and the "auto" indicator stays lit. It only turns off if you toggle the recirculation button.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
Chaetagnath (03-26-2016), DAEMANO (09-28-2017), phanguy (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 02:18 AM   #147
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
If it helps, here is what it looks like on my BRZ:

Press "off" button
[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/29w8fgm.jpg[IMG]

Defrost
[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/14ded50.jpg[IMG]

Full auto with dual control enabled
[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2hgbx35.jpg[IMG]

Full auto
[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2cib5tt.jpg[IMG]

---Cycle of operations when pressing mode button (in center)---
Floor
[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/15oihkz.jpg[IMG]

Defrost/Floor
[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/4szho7.jpg[IMG]

Panel
[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/v6kxfc.jpg[IMG]

Panel/Floor
[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/slmg5e.jpg[/MG]

Press the "auto" button and the display will say auto. You can change the fan speed, air flow direction, change the temperature, toggle the defroster and A/C and the "auto" indicator stays lit. It only turns off if you toggle the recirculation button.
interesting... it never actually says "Full Auto"? also I really really appreciate you making these pictures!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #148
Chaetagnath

Garage
Quote:
So basically, functionally ours woirks the same, except that the auto light turns off for some reason whenever you toggle the directional flow. And, ours (or at least mine) stays on when you toggle the recirculate button (even though the auto light is off). Thanks for posting that @sly. One other questions, does Auto turn off if you hit the auto button again after turning it on?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #149
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post
One other questions, does Auto turn off if you hit the auto button again after turning it on?
The auto light stays on even after pressing the Auto button several times.

I went out there and messed with it again and found that Auto does stay on when I toggle the recirculate button. Apparently "auto" will stay on until you change the temperature, change the air flow direction and toggle the recirculate button. You have to change all of those settings before auto goes off.

I guess the way it works is when you press the auto button, everything is controlled. Change the fan speed manually and the recirculate and direction are still controlled. Then if you override the air flow direction, recirculation is still automatically controlled. Only after your overridden all of these settings does Auto turn off.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
Chaetagnath (03-26-2016), phanguy (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:33 AM   #150
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
The auto light stays on even after pressing the Auto button several times.

I went out there and messed with it again and found that Auto does stay on when I toggle the recirculate button. Apparently "auto" will stay on until you change the temperature, change the air flow direction and toggle the recirculate button. You have to change all of those settings before auto goes off.

I guess the way it works is when you press the auto button, everything is controlled. Change the fan speed manually and the recirculate and direction are still controlled. Then if you override the air flow direction, recirculation is still automatically controlled. Only after your overridden all of these settings does Auto turn off.
i think i read in a thread somewhere that if you hit the A/C switch that it should also completely turn off auto.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #151
Chaetagnath

Garage
Finally went and did the full dual climate install. That was..um...a lot of work.

edit: For those interested in doing the full dual climate swap, I found these files extremely helpful. Basically, you need to completely remove the dashboard (as you would with the single temp install), then remove the steering wheel column (at least to the point where it is detached from the the instrument panel reinforcement assembly [basically the big bar] bar going across the car), then remove the big bar (I just detached it and pulled it back about a foot), then remove the HVAC unit (you need to disconnect the hoses from the engine compartment first), then swap out the pieces needed for dual climate control, then reinstall everything, top off the coolant, recharge the A/C, and voila!

Last edited by Chaetagnath; 05-16-2016 at 09:13 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chaetagnath For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-28-2017), DustinS (05-17-2016), lextrueno (10-11-2017), MemphisR (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #152
Cessblood
Boost equals pleasure

Drives: MT Raven FRS Lexus ES300 &Turbo tc
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Finally went and did the full dual climate install. That was..um...a lot of work.

edit: For those interested in doing the full dual climate swap, I found these files extremely helpful. Basically, you need to completely remove the dashboard (as you would with the single temp install), then remove the steering wheel column (at least to the point where it is detached from the the instrument panel reinforcement assembly [basically the big bar] bar going across the car), then remove the big bar (I just detached it and pulled it back about a foot), then remove the HVAC unit (you need to disconnect the hoses from the engine compartment first), then swap out the pieces needed for dual climate control, then reinstall everything, top off the coolant, recharge the A/C, and voila!
You should start a DIY thread with pictures.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #153
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,405 Times in 803 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

That is why I went single temp for the time being. Kudos to you for going all the way.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #154
Chaetagnath

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessblood View Post
You should start a DIY thread with pictures.
Most of the important information is already in this thread leading up to the single temp install. With the posted PDF files, the info for dual is there now too. I will add a couple of tips for doing the dual install here. As always, I remind everyone that anything you do to your car you do at your own risk, I am not responsible, nor do I think anything I post is a god idea to do, nor do I recommend you do anything I talk about here. Its just what I did. Removing the dash is easy and straightforward. I had a tough time with the steering column. But I think I came up with a better solution.

First, unplug the harnesses going to the steering wheel, then using pliers detach the clips holding all the wiring to the steering column:

Next, there are two bolts which hold the steering column to the big metal bar.

And there is one on the other side as well. Remove those bolts, and the steering column drops down a few inches. Note, they are on tight, so you may need a breaker bar or a big wrench to get enough leverage to loosen them. I found my torque wrench which has a long handle worked. Once loosened, remove them by hand while holding the steering column in place, then you can gently lower it.

Now, if you pull the steering wheel towards you, it slides off completely. Whats left looks like this:

Now you don't have to slide the steering wheel off. You can just skip to the next step and keep it all intact, but it gives you more room. Next, the middle part of the steering column is attached to the metal bar with a pin which goes through horizontally, I don't have a good picture of it, but it is hard to miss. This is what it looks like after the bolt was removed and detached (the red circle is where the column was attached):

Next, there is a bolt back there, which also needs to come out:

Now you are ready to unhook the big bar. It has all kinds of harnesses attached to it. The PDF goes in detail which ones to unplug first, and clips to remove and so on. I unplugged most of the harnesses but didn't remove any clips, because it doesn't need to come all the way out, just needs to be moved back a bit.

You will need a good torx 40 wrench. Undo the bolts on the driver and passenger sides of the car, then the 4 bolts holding the brackets to the floor near the middle of the car. Then lift the bar up and slide it back. If doing this by yourself, do one side then the other.

Once the bar is back you are ready to remove the HVAC. Basically follow the instructions in the pdf files I attached eariler. I put a towel under the coolant hoses in the engine bay that plug into the HVAC, to catch coolant as it comes out. You also need to remove the tubes that bring 134a coolant into the HVAC. Legally, you need to recover the 134a first by vacuuming it all out. An A/C shop will do this, some places have people who will come to your home to do this. OR maybe you have your own equipment. If you just detach them 134a will vent into the air which is illegal and allegedly bad for the atmosphere.

Ok, once those tubes are detached, remove the bolts holding the HVAC to the firewall and slide it out. I was able to pull it back, then down through the passenger footwell, underneath the big metal bar.

Once it is out, swap the dual parts on, and put everything back. One note, be sure when sliding the steering wheel back on that it goes back on in the orientation it came off. If it is not straight, it will throw an ABS and traction loss light at while you drive. Coolant may need to be topped off, and the HVAC needs to be recharged with 134a.

Now enjoy the sounds of your wife not complaining about how cold she is as you drive down the road.

Last edited by Chaetagnath; 07-09-2017 at 06:46 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaetagnath For This Useful Post:
DustinS (12-16-2016), Train (05-19-2016), YamahaR86 (05-18-2016)