follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

View Poll Results: Waiting for STI version?
Yes I'll wait 23 27.38%
No I want my BRZ now 36 42.86%
I'll trade in my BRZ for STI when it comes out 15 17.86%
No I'll take the FR-S because we know just how much I love Scion 10 11.90%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
gdi2290
Web Designer/Programmer

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited (Lemon)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Post Waiting for STI?

Quote:
It is likely to produce around 250bhp. "We can definitely develop the intake system," Atake said. "There is certainly room for improvement there." In addition, there is likely to be a freer-flowing exhaust and modifications to the engine's variable valve control system, along with an even higher rev limit of around 7,500rpm.

Subaru says that it will not turbocharge the engine as there is no space at the front of the engine bay for an intercooler. "Plus, we want to keep turbocharging separate. It is for models like the WRX STI," said Atake. "The same goes for four-wheel drive. We could not make the BRZ four-wheel drive even if we wanted to." He also said that supercharging had been dismissed because it would make the BRZ too heavy on fuel.

As well as more power, the BRZ STI is set to weigh even less than the 1,250kg standard car, thanks to racing bucket seats and potentially a carbonfibre roof and bonnet, which will further help to lower the car's centre of gravity. Other tweaks will include a dramatic bodykit, stiffened and lowered suspension, lighter but larger 18-inch alloy wheels and upgraded brakes.

Unfortunately, there’s no timeline on the BRZ STI, and Subaru’s biggest problem at the moment is ramping up production to meet demand. In Japan, Subaru has sold over 3,500 BRZs in the past two months, some four times the number it expected to sell.

Are you waiting?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Mitchs_86

Drives: 09 BMW Z4
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
nope, I'll tune mine myself
Mitchs_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that this will be a JDM product only, just like all those other Subie goodies (Forester STI and every other special edition WRX STI). We could only hope, I guess. I'll stick with getting a stock BRZ now...
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Depends on how soon info sneaks out. I had planned on buying one around Nov/Dec either a 13 or 14 (would hold off till Q1 13 for a 14 model). But if there is imminent news of an STI release around that time frame i'd hold out for whatever is perceived as the "better" model. The STI might not be the best tuner option depending on what they do to it, and what it costs. If its nothing more than a base BRZ with a tune (a la Nismo Z) ill pass and stick with the normal car.
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I think it's a hard call. I personally don't think I'm gonna wait. Here's my list of reasons:

1. I want to progress as a driver and fine tune my skills. I feel learning to drive on a slower car will make me even faster when I get more power.

2. The aftermarket for this car seems like it's gonna be enormous. All mods that the STI will be doing will probably be covered in aftermarket. Carbon fiber roof may be tougher though. The miata has performance cams and I feel that someone eventually will make the same for the BRZ if you want slight power and NA. If you want to power, we've seen that the EJ motor can be made to fit and the 2UR-GSE will fit as well.

3. Will the all the additions of suspension (most people will swap out), bigger brakes (not needed except for heat disappation on track days in my opinion), more power, and carbon roof be worth the premium that subaru will charge for the car?

I'm probably just gonna get the BRZ as is and maybe X amount of years later just go crazy and dedicate the BRZ as a project track car. For that end goal, I feel the things that the STI offers is not going to be worth it to me.
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
gdi2290
Web Designer/Programmer

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited (Lemon)
Garage
If the STI has the same MPG I'll want it lol I really just want: carbon fiber hood and roof, higher RPM, a little more HP, Bigger brakes, slightly lower, lighter rims, better seats... oh shit I want an STI version XD I guess if the MPGs are slightly low I would still want it
Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
I'll wait for the STI and, even then, not guaranteed I'll want it. Depends on price/value versus the base model but I'll at least be giving myself the option. Don't want to buy now then upgrade later (too wasteful). By the time this STI is out there may be new rumors of something better but I won't wait any longer. Visual aesthetics of an STI over the unfinished stock look is enough for me to pull the trigger at that point.

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
All the parts seem to be about equivalent to aftermarket add-ons. no reason to go with more expensive STI add ons when aftermarket is usually lighter, cheaper, and more efficient.
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Waiting for an STI version with more power. If it turns out to be a slight tune ~20hp then I will definitely buy a regular, but I'm fairly confident that any STI version would have the turbo FA20 from the WRX.

I really doubt we will see any significant carbon fiber parts (hood, roof, etc.) on a factory produced car. They are simply too expensive to put on a car that will be in the price range they can sell the STI version for. If the premium model comes in at the 25-26k range, the most they could get for an STI would be 35k and even at that price, I would expect the limited trim equipment to be included. Since previous STI products have all included brake upgrades, suspension upgrades, larger & lighter wheels, and some unique cosmetic pieces in addition to the power upgrade I can't see them adding a factory CF roof or hood which would be over a grand just by itself.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
All the parts seem to be about equivalent to aftermarket add-ons. no reason to go with more expensive STI add ons when aftermarket is usually lighter, cheaper, and more efficient.
Unless you prefer the reliability and warranty of a stock car.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The hood bothers me for some strange reason.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Make it as soon as next year, I will get it.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Not necessarily true. You'd have to pay for mostly new (not secondhand) aftermarket parts and you'll have stock parts you already paid for which you have to sell to recoup your losses. But those will be hard to sell when everyone still has a new stock BRZ. In some cases it costs more to install a part than the part itself (I don't have a garage full of tools in my apartment and barely got time to tool around like I used to). And it'd lack OEM warranty/quality/fit/finish like tranzformer mentioned. That's where I see better value in an STI package over going aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
The hood bothers me for some strange reason.

Yeah the placement of where the hoodlines meet body panels was made ugly to cut manufactuing costs I think. That's my only gripe on this car. If you look at the S2000 or FT-86 II Concept hoodlines, you will see the fenders come up and around the headlights so the hoods never touch the headlights.

Attached Images

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-28-2012 at 03:40 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
^

Yea! It just doesn't look right when it touches the headlights.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, sti, subaru, turbo