follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #1583
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post

At the same time I like old fashion cars, from my childhood or teenage years, it's why I keep one car that's modern and one that's 15 years older.

I'm slowly accepting Hybrids and embracing electric cars.

Win win
LOL Ahhh to be young and think that a 15 year old car is from the past.
I still think of the 1982 Omni as a "modern" car!
chaoskaze (07-14-2017), Dadhawk (06-08-2017), Zaku (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #1584
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I've never had an issue with alternative fuel cars.

My issue is with the infrastructure.

When I can get in my Tesla and drive any direction I want and go as far as I want with a realistic expectation of getting there with no worries about fueling (and no preplanning required), and a fueling stop taking no longer then it would take me to start the process, go in the store, go to the bathroom, buy a drink and some fudge-striped cookies or a bag of Cheetos and get back out to the car, my vehicle can run on whatever works.

Also, I'm not going to own a "around home" car and a "long distance" car, nor am I going to rent a car when I need to go somewhere I could drive to. Every one of my vehicles have to be able to do those basic things.
Hey dad!

Great Points and I agree , we all know that it's an infrastructure issue, that has a lot to do with the government and politics with the current government these improvements will probably be slow and alternative energy plans to help make plants more environmentally friendly so that hybrids could be more friendly is also in shackles. With New Tesla rolling out soon that are going 300+ miles, and Lexus Hybrids that are more fun and save you MPG. Tesla also now has solar city plans where you can fit your house with a solar panel and do quick charges in your own home. As Electric cars are being more accepted I'm sure your friends or other neighborhoods will also start having charging stations and have these solar panels. Essentially you could charge while you visit I believe 20 mins is a full charge anything less will still give you 50-100 miles. This is speaking of Tesla and maybe the BOLT of course the rest of the world is still alittle working on it, for example, Honda ev is only 80 miles atm, and Hyundai/VW is at about 124. Tesla 3 should hopefully do 200+.

Lastly, I don't think people are planning 200-300+ miles road trips all the time. That's like me driving to NYC every day and back, or to SC or the Ohio. And with that on a regular outlet at your hotel lot, 8 hours will give you almost another 100 miles if you're in a place like NY or developed area you would have charging stations. That's getting ahead of myself though because Like you I think this works in Theory but maybe not in practice just yet.

My argument is for what that Supra Hybrid could be, it could be amazing fun. Remember electric cars have no lag the motors gives instant torque. IF it's going to be anything like the LC, I8,or even have alittle bit of 918 or p1 in it, it's gonna be a hell of a car!

when I was driving the LC hybrid I hit 75 in like 5.5 secs and it's got an amazing chassis. Granted the V8 could do it in 4.5 but still that's quite a feat!

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Old 06-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #1585
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Great Points and I agree , we all know that it's an infrastructure issue, that has a lot to do with the government and politics with the current government these improvements will probably be slow and alternative energy plans to help make plants more environmentally friendly so that hybrids could be more friendly is also in shackles.
Fueling infrastructure is not a government problem. Roads are the responsibility of the government. Providing fuel is not nor should it be. It's going to be hard to get to a critical mass where service stations start adding electrical charging stations though. It's a chicken and egg thing.

Quote:
With New Tesla rolling out soon that are going 300+ miles, and Lexus Hybrids that are more fun and save you MPG. Tesla also now has solar city plans where you can fit your house with a solar panel and do quick charges in your own home. As Electric cars are being more accepted I'm sure your friends or other neighborhoods will also start having charging stations and have these solar panels. Essentially you could charge while you visit I believe 20 mins is a full charge anything less will still give you 50-100 miles. This is speaking of Tesla and maybe the BOLT of course the rest of the world is still alittle working on it, for example, Honda ev is only 80 miles atm, and Hyundai/VW is at about 124. Tesla 3 should hopefully do 200+.
That's like saying if I want to go from Georgia to California in my FR-S I'll be OK the first 300 miles then after that I'll either have to stop for extended periods to go another 300 miles or every 50-100 miles, as long as I preplan enough to know where the stops are. Nope, not going to do that.

Quote:
Lastly, I don't think people are planning 200-300+ miles road trips all the time. That's like me driving to NYC every day and back, or to SC or the Ohio. And with that on a regular outlet at your hotel lot, 8 hours will give you almost another 100 miles if you're in a place like NY or developed area you would have charging stations. That's getting ahead of myself though because Like you I think this works in Theory but maybe not in practice just yet.
You are right, they don't plan these every day but when they do the want to take their car and they want to plan the trip based on the roads not the fuel stops.

Quote:
My argument is for what that Supra Hybrid could be, it could be amazing fun. Remember electric cars have no lag the motors gives instant torque. IF it's going to be anything like the LC, I8,or even have alittle bit of 918 or p1 in it, it's gonna be a hell of a car!
No disagreement there.

We are basically saying the same thing with a different slant to it so its all good.

I'm still more a proponent of fuel cells, but whatever works in the end I'm good with, as long as it works. Gas Autos were in this same place at one point, but at least then you could carry extra fuel with you if you really needed to.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Zaku (06-08-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #1586
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
http://www.supramkv.com/threads/what...-the-hood.611/

Old 06-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #1587
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Diecast models are now available.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/the-...y-on-sale.613/

The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-29-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #1588
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Lol at the guy comparing the AutoArt LC model to that FT1 model. Not comparable at all since AutoArt models are highly detailed and are high priced.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #1589
gymratter

nice looking rendering IMO

Old 06-29-2017, 01:29 AM   #1590
Silver Supra
Hombre

Drives: 1994 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
If you are expecting a MKIV supra with updated styling you are probably going to be disappointed.
Probably true. I am not sure if Toyota will try to make a leap like they did between the MKIII and MKIV (styling, performance, and price-wise!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I am an old guy. I like my sports car simple and raw.

The Supra looks like it is going to be too complicated, too expensive, too idiot proof and too refined for my taste.

Yes - I suspect it may have some video-game builtins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
My excitement over this car has been dying. Anyone else think it will not be the second coming?
I am waiting to see, but not with bated breath.

I cannot see Toyota coming out with a car that would have the potential the MKIV had/has. I really am not sure who their target buyer and competitor is for this new Supra/FT-1/whatever.
What car do you think they are aiming at?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #1591
gymratter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...rid/ar-BBCaO1A

More stuff saying hybrid and automatic only. Still all speculation but meh.
there may not be a hybrid version after all.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/no-hybrid-supra.616/

Last edited by gymratter; 06-29-2017 at 12:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #1592
NeverInTime

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
I cannot see Toyota coming out with a car that would have the potential the MKIV had/has. I really am not sure who their target buyer and competitor is for this new Supra/FT-1/whatever.
What car do you think they are aiming at?
The Mark IV Supra was not a cheap car when it came out, as I'm sure other people have mentioned before. It was around $30-40,000 back in 1996, which is about $51,000-68,000 adjusted for inflation. Based on the current market trends, it makes sense if Toyota aims at the grand-touring market with a hybrid drive-train GT coupe to supplement the Lexus RC line of V6/V8 luxury coupes which run from $45,000 to over $60,000.

Much of the potential of the MK IV was in its robust and easily moddable engine, but that was designed in a different market environment. Modern engines (and cars) have more limitations in terms of emissions, safety, materials, and import regulations that they have to meet. In addition, the MKIV Supra historically did not sell well during its last years of production, so expecting Toyota to stick to many of the same elements that eventually made the MKIV popular AFTER they stopped production is just a recipe for disappointment.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #1593
Silver Supra
Hombre

Drives: 1994 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverInTime View Post
The Mark IV Supra was not a cheap car when it came out, as I'm sure other people have mentioned before. It was around $30-40,000 back in 1996, which is about $51,000-68,000 adjusted for inflation. Based on the current market trends, it makes sense if Toyota aims at the grand-touring market with a hybrid drive-train GT coupe to supplement the Lexus RC line of V6/V8 luxury coupes which run from $45,000 to over $60,000.

Much of the potential of the MK IV was in its robust and easily moddable engine, but that was designed in a different market environment. Modern engines (and cars) have more limitations in terms of emissions, safety, materials, and import regulations that they have to meet. In addition, the MKIV Supra historically did not sell well during its last years of production, so expecting Toyota to stick to many of the same elements that eventually made the MKIV popular AFTER they stopped production is just a recipe for disappointment.
I am well aware of the history of the MKIV, as I have had mine for 17 years and is is tastefully modded up to 471 rwhp. List on my car originally was over $44K and 1995 and 1996 turbo models were more. I think cost sunk the MKIV. Had the potential been known before 1998, Toyota might have continued selling a USDM version and maybe continued the JDM versions past 2002. But, that did not happen.
I clearly believe Toyota cannot make the same magnitude leap they made between the MKIII and the MKIV now.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #1594
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
2018 Toyota Supra Spied testing on the Nurburgring, Nordschleife!

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/2018...dschleife.617/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnYvEqHNAAY[/ame]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (07-11-2017), gymratter (07-13-2017), Zaku (07-11-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #1595
gymratter

Toyota Supra finally spied testing Stateside!

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyo...stateside.618/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (07-14-2017), Guff (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #1596
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
What is with the high hood line? The windshield looks like it goes a couple inches under the hood. Cladding or leaving headroom for tuners?
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-10-2017)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose