follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Driving across North America!

Hiyo!

It's long been on my bucket list that I just have to do a drive across North America and hit up some of the best roads and vistas in all of the USA and Canada (sorry no Mexico at the moment).

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could throw in some of your best suggested areas to drive through in your respective areas and some good places to eat, see or stay.

Right now my VERY PRELIMINARY itinerary looks like this:

TIME FRAME: 4-6 weeks.

ROUTE:
Since I am in Toronto, I plan on heading East first to Montreal, Quebec City and then Halifax and finally Sydney, Nova Scotia. This would be as East as I can get and the straight drive alone is roughly 22-24 hours non stop. Throwing in stops this would mean it would pretty much be a 3 day trip just to get there with minimal stopping.

From there, I would cut south down into the US in the following manner:

Boston (LOVE this city - been here twice)
Providence
NYC (been here multiple times)
Philly
Baltimore (been here three times)
Washington (have a friend who lives here)
Charlotte
Atlanta

And here's where it becomes UGH for choosing: do I swing south into Florida?

Tallahassee (never been but I love the name lol)
New Orleans (LOVE this city - been here once for extended stay)
Houston
Dallas

And here's another gap in my info... New Mexico??? I have no idea whats there. Or do I cut up into Kansas?

Denver (PIKE'S PEAK!!!) is definitely on my list.
Las Vegas
Los Angeles (might want to be careful here)
San Francisco
Sacramento
Salem (just for the namesake!)
Portland
Seattle

And back into Canada to Vancouver!

From there, head back East homebound:

Kamloops
Banff
Calgary

And here's another pause... I hear middle of Canadia is boring so would I want to cut south into Montana?

Ideas, suggestions and routes are always appreciated!

Cheers.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK

Last edited by Frost; 12-03-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added more points
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Joakim3

Drives: 04' Saab 9-5 Aero
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Assuming you have like 10k just saved up lying around to finance this trip (gas alone would cost a grand or 2 easy lol), then it would be by far the most epic drive I've seen undertaken, definitely bucket list worthy

If I could I do this I'd hit these cities in exactly this order

East Coast:
Boston
NYC
Phili
Baltimore
DC

South: (assuming you don't do the Floridan peninsula)
Charlotte
Atlanta
Tallahassee
New Orleans

Midwest:
Houston
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Phoenix
Vegas

West Coast:
San Diego
L.A.
San Fran
Portland
Seattle

(it helps that the route takes you through geographic wonders like The Rockies, Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, Redwoods etc..) I'd include places like Chi-Town, Denver, Pittsburg or Miami but all take you hundreds of miles out the way from the "directional chain of command"

You know what they say... pick two: cheap, fast, reliable.

Last edited by Joakim3; 12-03-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Joakim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
How long are you planning to take for this road trip?

I did a road trip from Rochester (3 hours from Toronto) down south to Florida and then west to LA/San Diego as my final destination.

Unless you have more than enough time, I would skip Florida to allocate my time to the rest of the cities.
TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Dallas

And here's another gap in my info... New Mexico??? I have no idea whats there. Or do I cut up into Kansas?

Denver (PIKE'S PEAK!!!) is definitely on my list.
Las Vegas
From Dallas to Denver, there's no good route. You can go West to Amarillo, then cut up to Denver, or go north to Kansas. Both are boring with absolutely nothing of note to see.

Of the two, I'd rate the drive north to Kansas slightly higher. It's the lesser of 2 evils though. And that way you at least get to hit 2 more states.

There are decent places in New Mexico, but they are in the North and Northwest side of the state, which you really can't get to without going way out of your way. I suppose you could go Amarillo to Santa Fe, NM and then north. That would put you in the realm of the Raton Pass, so it's likely a nice route, but I've never tried it to speak for it.

This is the route that I would take from Dallas to Las Vegas (attached image). There are some possible changes aside from the Amarillo option I mentioned above.

From Colorado Springs (Pike's Peak) you can head straight west towards Pike's Peak, to Salina, and ultimately to Durango -- the single best bit of driving road I've come across in the country (and I've been everywhere). Or, if you're dead-set on Denver, you can go to Pike's peak on the way through Colorado Springs, then continue on to Denver and then head back south on the route shown. This will add a solid 4+hrs on to your trip with some back-tracking, but gets you to Denver. The plus side is that the route I've drawn has you heading out of Denver through the Breckenridge area, which is gorgeous.

From Durango, I've got you heading north through Arches National Park (beautiful) on the way to Provo (but not quite getting there). And from there taking the interstate to Vegas and to Hoover Dam (adds a couple hours, but worth seeing once).

Alternately, there are 2 other routes you can take from Durango. You can head further south, catch the interstate at Gallup and continue through Flagstaff and cross Hoover Dam into Las Vegas more directly. Or -- and I haven't done this route, but it looks like good fun on the map -- is heading directly west from Durango on state highways 160 and 89 running right along the border of Arizona and Utah until you hit I-15 at St George -- this has the additional 'plus' of putting you into New Mexico "officially" by, literally, just a couple miles as it barely nicks the northwest corner of the state.

Quote:
And here's another pause... I hear middle of Canadia is boring so would I want to cut south into Montana.
Well, they're both very, VERY boring. Eastern Montana across North Dakota is no better than crossing Canada. I'd say it's even worse actually. Straight south from Calgary puts you just missing anything worth seeing in the US Pacific Northwest. You come into either Great Falls or Havre, MT which are the cusp of the boringness.

If you're willing to add an extra day or two onto your trip, find a way to backtrack a bit from Calgary in a southwesterly direction. Even as far west as Sandpoint, ID if you can. The head east from there through Kalispell and across the Glacier National Park before you get into the boring stretch on eastward from Great Falls.

Of course once you venture that far south into Montana then you're hard pressed to not justify a trip to hit Yellowstone National Park. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. But it's a solid day getting there and worth a day or two visiting on its own. So it is a fairly lengthy detour. It's justification for its own trip in the future if nothing else, so you can hit it some other time.
Attached Images

Last edited by SigmaHyperion; 12-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SigmaHyperion For This Useful Post:
Frost (12-03-2013), YukiHachiRoku (12-05-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaHyperion View Post
From Dallas to Denver, there's no good route. You can go West to Amarillo, then cut up to Denver, or go north to Kansas. Both are boring with absolutely nothing of note to see.

Of the two, I'd rate the drive north to Kansas slightly higher. It's the lesser of 2 evils though. And that way you at least get to hit 2 more states.

There are decent places in New Mexico, but they are in the Northwest side of the state, which you really can't get to without going way out of your way.

This is the route that I would take from Dallas to Las Vegas (attached image). There are some possible changes aside from the Amarillo option I mentioned above.

From Colorado Springs (Pike's Peak) you can head straight west towards Pike's Peak, to Salina, and ultimately to Durango -- the single best bit of driving road I've come across in the country (and I've been everywhere). Or, if you're dead-set on Denver, you can go to Pike's peak on the way through Colorado Springs, then continue on to Denver and then head back south on the route shown. This will add a solid 4+hrs on to your trip with some back-tracking, but gets you to Denver. The plus side is that the route I've drawn has you heading out of Denver through the Breckenridge area, which is gorgeous.

From Durango, I've got you heading north through Arches National Park (beautiful) on the way to Provo (but not quite getting there). And from there taking the interstate to Vegas and to Hoover Dam (adds a couple hours, but worth seeing once).

Alternately, there are 2 other routes you can take from Durango. You can head further south, catch the interstate at Gallup and continue through Flagstaff and cross Hoover Dam into Las Vegas more directly. Or -- and I haven't done this route, but it looks like good fun on the map -- is heading directly west from Durango on state highways 160 and 89 running right along the border of Arizona and Utah until you hit I-15 at St George -- this has the additional 'plus' of putting you into New Mexico "officially" by, literally, just a couple miles as it barely nicks the northwest corner of the state.
Thanks for the info!

As for people asking about a time frame, I am again, VERY ROUGHLY, estimating at least 4-6 weeks to enjoyably do this? Remember, this isn't a marathon and I do want some lovely drives and things to take to the grave with a smile.

I am contemplating crossing some of the wheatfields of Manitoba - there was a beautiful short story I've read about the middle of Canada and I wouldn't mind some peace and quite... or not. Again, just trying to put dots on the map to get a rough plot.

This won't be happening for at least 2 years but I want to get a head start planning this and lining up maybe a few sponsors here and there.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
I plan to do something similar in a year, as I live in AZ & my family lives in VA, so I travel back once a year to see them. Normally I fly, but I want to go across in my brz.

Grand tour United States.

I'll need some good all seasons first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Thanks for the info!

As for people asking about a time frame, I am again, VERY ROUGHLY, estimating at least 4-6 weeks to enjoyably do this? Remember, this isn't a marathon and I do want some lovely drives and things to take to the grave with a smile.
All told, you're looking at something like a 10,000-mile trip directly, and probably 12,000-mile once you put some detours in there.

In my experience on road-trips -- I used to do them for fun very often, now I just spend a lot of time on the road for business -- you do about 400-miles a day on average when you're traveling for fun; plus or minus 100 miles depending on how much you want to stop. Some days you get 1000 miles in. Other days you get 0.

So, that said, in my opinion, you're looking at a 40-ish day trip as I would think for all the trouble, you'd go on the low-end of the daily mileage so as not to rush it. So I'd bet on 6 weeks to do it right. You certainly could knock it out in 4 weeks, but you'd really have to cut out almost all your 'stop and sightsee' moments. To do it in 4 weeks, you'd have to do every route as directly as possible with only a few instances of actually stopping and spending some time at the locations.

Get yourself a job in the meantime where you travel and can rack up your own personal hotel 'points'. I can stay for months and months in several hotel chains with the points that I've racked up over the years of business travel all-week, every-week. That'll knock off a few grand off your expenses. Or get used to sleeping in your car every other night will save you a couple grand. Or staying in dumps... but I'd just rough it in the car every night and stay someplace decent/clean every other night (plus a lot of the best roads don't have good places to stay anyways, so sleeping in your car is just convenient).

I'd figure on $120/day in expenses. $50 for gas (~13gal/day), $40 for hotel, and $30 to eat. You could probably cut that down to $100/day i.f you weren't picky on the hotel, careful with the gas, and ate cheaply. So that's some $4,500 in expenses. Plus all that memento stuff you'll buy along the way will undoubtedly add up. Also figure a depreciation on the car for the mileage of about $1,000.
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Holy crap imagine how much mileage you are going to put on the car by the end of your trip. Good luck, I envy you for being able to do that!

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
you come through charlotte, you gotta hit us up. there's a decent amount of us here.

Also, Blue Ridge Parkway
Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
If you are starting in Sydney then you better be going around the Cabot trail! Just thinking about it now makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, and ive probably been around there 100 times. If the timing works out I will definitely meet you there and I'm sure others would too.

Ill just leave this here...
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to headlikeahole For This Useful Post:
Frost (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaHyperion View Post
Get yourself a job in the meantime where you travel and can rack up your own personal hotel 'points'. I can stay for months and months in several hotel chains with the points that I've racked up over the years of business travel all-week, every-week. That'll knock off a few grand off your expenses. Or get used to sleeping in your car every other night will save you a couple grand. Or staying in dumps... but I'd just rough it in the car every night and stay someplace decent/clean every other night (plus a lot of the best roads don't have good places to stay anyways, so sleeping in your car is just convenient).

I'd figure on $120/day in expenses. $50 for gas (~13gal/day), $40 for hotel, and $30 to eat. You could probably cut that down to $100/day i.f you weren't picky on the hotel, careful with the gas, and ate cheaply. So that's some $4,500 in expenses. Plus all that memento stuff you'll buy along the way will undoubtedly add up. Also figure a depreciation on the car for the mileage of about $1,000.
Already work

I travel for work and I've been a Holiday Inn Platinum member ... forever lol. Also a reason why I downgraded (I don't see it that way) from an IS300 to the Echo Hatch I drive now. The money they give me for mileage goes more into my pocket than the car.

I've been racking up points lately and not trying to spend any - maybe they might want to sponsor me. Doesn't hurt to ask especially given my standing with them.

As for Cabot Trail... OMG! OMG! OMG!

THANK YOU! This is why I ask others for advice!

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,949 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Very ambitious campaign.
So much of the center is unapealing, you may want to consider splitting this into two separate trips.
One for the east and one for the west.
I've been contemplating a run up the Mississippi for years, but have not generated enough tuits to cross the great plains.

There have been statistical studies performed definitively proving (suitably scaled) that Kansas is much flatter than any pancake can ever hope to be.

The eastern parts of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado are equally plain.
Raton Pass between CO and NM goes way up then way down, but it's just another freeway at the end of the day.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'll throw this suggestion out there and others may disagree... I suggest heading directly east after hitting Charlotte so you can go through the Smokey Mountains into Tennessee. There are some fun mountain roads (NOT the dragons tail/Cherohala skyway, unless you want a slow scenery drive) that can break up the highway miles. I mean, if you want to go to FL go for it, but if you're wanting to enjoy the drive cutting over into TN and then continuing south to ATL or your other more Southern locations.

Those mountain roads are what this car was made to enjoy!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Definitely hit up the Cabot trail if you plan on starting the trip in Cape Breton. Also, if you have time, drive Hillside Road along the Mira River. It was recently completely repaved and has some steeply banked sharp curves that would make most civil engineers shudder.

I'm from Sydney myself and I cannot wait for the spring so I can make a trip home and do the trail with the BRZ. I had the chance to drive portions of it a couple of times in the summer with work and it was an absolute blast in my Accord. The scenery there is second to none. Tons of fun at legal speeds.

Also, when you get to Cape Breton, take the old Route 4, NOT the 104 to Sydney. They're just finishing a complete replacement of that route now, and although it bypasses Kelly's Mountain it is a much more exciting drive with plenty of curves. It's also about a half hour shorter than the 104 and burns less gas to boot!
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote