follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #127
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thought I'd resurrect this as I've since discovered a few things. They may be noted elsewhere but I don't remember seeing them.

Exhaust cam doesn't become active until oil temps reach 30C. If I flash on a cold engine you have to wait a while until the cam moves from it's standing position. I'll assume it's to do with the OCV, but this now means I wait until the engine is warm before I flash. Once the cam starts to move then the reset is done and you can drive/dyno etc.

As mentioned in another thread, the standard PI/DI ratio has a minimum value of ~18.8%. Any lower than this then it will use 0%. This can be overcome by custom maps.

The RR accelerator pedal trims have some weird activity, noticed this a few times now. Does anyone else use them or come across this? I have a feeling it may be to do with long decimal numbers but yet to prove it.

Anyone else discovered anything new, or any new tips and tricks?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #128
Kodename47

Oh, an extra question. Can anyone work out the difference between the various MAF data available to log?
ECUtek parameters:
- MAF Sensor (g/s)
- MAF Voltage
- Mass Airflow (g/s)
OEM Parameters:
- Mass Air Flow x2 (both g/s)

I'll have a guess that the 3 Mass Air Flow options are the same and that they are the MAF reading after compensations. The only difference is that the ECUtek one shouldn't have any impact on logging resolution. That would make this the one to log then as you can easily take into account the compensations. I assume that MAF Sensor is the direct MAFv to MAF scale conversion and is the one I currently log.

What are people's thoughts/ideas?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 06-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #129
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Oh, an extra question. Can anyone work out the difference between the various MAF data available to log?
ECUtek parameters:
- MAF Sensor (g/s)
- MAF Voltage
- Mass Airflow (g/s)
OEM Parameters:
- Mass Air Flow x2 (both g/s)

I'll have a guess that the 3 Mass Air Flow options are the same and that they are the MAF reading after compensations. The only difference is that the ECUtek one shouldn't have any impact on logging resolution. That would make this the one to log then as you can easily take into account the compensations. I assume that MAF Sensor is the direct MAFv to MAF scale conversion and is the one I currently log.

What are people's thoughts/ideas?
There are difference based on how the tune in the vehicle is setup, Mass Air Flow Based or Speed Density based.

Mass Air Flow Based tunes the MAF and Mass Airflow will read nearly identical values like you have stated. But for a clearer picture when tuning we usually use the MAF voltage for gathering an idea of how much power a car is making (based on OEM or predefined intake diameters). We do this since the voltage will never change but scaling the grams/sec can change.

Now for Speed Density tunes the "Mass Airflow" is what we use to get an idea of what thew ECU is seeing for Speed Density calibrations. Basically ignore the other measurement as this is the value created from the MAF lookup table in the ECU. Though only ignore it if you are running pure Speed Density otherwise in a Hybrid mode it might be actually be used. Hybrid modes are usually run with MAF for idle and cruising and SD for top end, for more tuning resolution.

If you are not sure what your tune is (MAF, SD, Hybrid), an easy way to tell is to turn your vehicle on and let it idle. In the engine bay disconnect the MAF sensor connector (this will throw a check engine light, which can be cleared). If the car keeps running pretty steady you are running pure Speed Density, if it stutters and dies you are more than likely running a Hybrid mode or a pure MAF based system.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Kodename47 (06-06-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #130
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Not sure if this is the right section but I think maybe its ecutek related. After hardwiring a walbro 485 using the wire from the fpcm to the pump to trigger the hardwired relay I got a p0230 code. When turning the dtc off the cams stopped advancing. WTF!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #131
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Not sure if this is the right section but I think maybe its ecutek related. After hardwiring a walbro 485 using the wire from the fpcm to the pump to trigger the hardwired relay I got a p0230 code. When turning the dtc off the cams stopped advancing. WTF!

Its probably going into limp home mode p0230 is fuel pump circuit fail

might be worth a read here re grounding

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2306427

or the rollover sensor is loose stuffed.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ighlight=p0230

I'm not sure how you have wired the relay but the ECU might now think the pump is stuffed as the relay draws more/less current than a pump.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #132
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
It only does it when I turn the code off. Dtc on cams work. Dtc off cams dont.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #133
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350matt View Post
its when the advance multiplier switches
so if you modify the load site at the moment the multiplier switches from 1.0 to 0.7 for example

The IAM does not appear to drop instantly on fbkc or Flkc, it will generally drop some time afterwards.

Their appears to be all sorts of timers and thresholds ie number of knock events and their severity is stored then if enough of these events over a threshold occurr in a given period of time ecu will decrement IAM.

as @jamesm says you need you look at the individual flkc and fbkc events and their severity to work out where the problem areas are.

You can have some pretty large events of say -3 fbck or flck but if it does not occurr often enough or in conjunction with other lesser knock events the IAM will stay unchanged.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #134
Kodename47

So basically @DeliciousTuning there is no difference unless you're running SD? So as I currently log MAF V and MAF Sensor, there's no point in changing it to Mass Air Flow if on a pure MAF tune?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 09-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #135
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Idle rpm based on temp and AC fan speed. When it's hot as hell, and the AC practically stalls the car, bump up the idle.

Valet mode. I mean cmon, it can't be that hard with a combination of button presses to go into a valet limp mode. Eg. hit defrost 4 times rapidly, limp mode.

Still no knock light?
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #136
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
It only does it when I turn the code off. Dtc on cams work. Dtc off cams dont.

So I'm in the process of wiring up a fuel surge tank with a pump in it for my road course track BRZ. My plan was have the in-tank factory pump fill the surge tank, the pump in the surge tank feed the engine (pressure regulated to factory book pressure)

My buddy and I have the fuel pump running off of a relay that is triggered by the ECU signal to the factory fuel pump controller. The thinking being that since the factory fuel pump is variable, and the pump In the surge tank is WFO all the time, I wouldn't want the in tank pump failing to keep the surge tank full if the controller lowered the in tank pump rate.

Now I get the p0230 code, but I cant feel a difference between the car with the CEL on or off - am I delusional? I just beat the car like a rented mule for two days at COTA, with the CEL illuminated, and then after clearing it in the paddock and could tell no difference in performance? Am I crazy? Lap times showed no differences.

Also - I read others have had the cam advance in their tunes not occurring with this CEL. Is this something to worry about, and If so, can deliscious tuning disable this CEL in my tune (it's their stg 2 e85 tune)?

Thanks for any help!
Joe
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote