follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #85
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Give the company credit for designing an affordable "driving experience". Unfortunately, many people don't want useable performance but would rather be acknowledged for driving and owning a car with big numbers. The only thing that frustrated me when my frs was bone stock was having to row the gearbox in order to be relevant in stop and go traffic. So far the corn tune has made a significant difference in that regard and a header will be the cherry on top.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantana frs For This Useful Post:
HotlavaFRSGT86 (03-06-2017), Prax (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 11:04 PM   #86
Kratzogram

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prax View Post
Go talk to Subaru, it's really a Subaru at heart.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Subaru wanted nothing to do with this car when Toyota first showed them this chassis. Only after Toyota set up a media event with Subaru engineers and drove it did they see the potential of this chassis. Yeah it uses a boxer, Toyota is a smart corporation....why R&D their own boxer when you own a controlling stake in a company that already manufactures it!

Anyways also just wanted to add that the original ae86 was only in production for 4 years from what I know and I don't know the production numbers but here we are in 2017 the ae86 is still doing what it does best. When ever production ceases on this model and it will one day, why I personally don't give a f**k, I couldn't be happier with the outcome of this car be it gt86/frs/brz.

I'm a Toyota fan boy and was instantly hooked when I saw the initial concept of this car, saw the FRS concept car at the 2011 LA Auto Show, worked on it as a technician for Toyota back in 2012 (felt like a 6 year old on christmas day ha!) and now I own one.....finally. I could not be happier with this car, I use the back seats and fill the trunk up with all kinds of stuff. Never have I really needed more power while city or highway driving, other cars I looked at where Miata's and S2000's but they weren't Toyota's lol. I feel this car was made for me as I am a Toyota enthusiast and it encompasses all my needs, especially the room for improvement as I see fit to my tastes and my budget. Hope to own this car for a very very long time. Cars like this made by companies like Toyota aren't made for profit or to hold their value, I'd say that is more of a bonus.

Hats of to Akio Toyoda and Tetsuya Tada!
Kratzogram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kratzogram For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-05-2017), daiheadjai (03-06-2017), Hoahao (03-05-2017), Overdrive (03-05-2017), PabloN (03-05-2017), Prax (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #87
Prax

Drives: 2017 BRZ Inazuma Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I felt the same about Toyota, I own a 2008 Yaris RS and it is the best car I have ever had. Most reliable, fun to drive, sport tuned suspension. I had a 2006 GTI before, and I honestly prefer my Yaris.

Canada really gets the ass end of the stick here. No performance package options except for special editions.

I wanted a 2017 86, but it wasn't in the cards because right now Toyota only offers a base model with the same interior controls as the 2008 Yaris. I will be 35 this year and base model just doesn't appeal to me. Honestly it was this or a Porsche and the price tag on these cars was appealing for how amazing this car is to drive.

In Canada at least, this car is not getting the backing it deserves. Subaru offers the Sport-tech which I almost went with, but the Inazuma was the only currently available premium model with the performance package.

I am a huge Toyota fan, and I never expected to own a Subaru (the dealer's here have a lot of bad reviews compared to Toyota). C'est la vie I suppose. 86 or BRZ, I will love em until they are long gone.

Prax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #88
Kratzogram

Quote:
I felt the same about Toyota, I own a 2008 Yaris RS and it is the best car I have ever had. Most reliable, fun to drive, sport tuned suspension. I had a 2006 GTI before, and I honestly prefer my Yaris.

Canada really gets the ass end of the stick here. No performance package options except for special editions.

I wanted a 2017 86, but it wasn't in the cards because right now Toyota only offers a base model with the same interior controls as the 2008 Yaris. I will be 35 this year and base model just doesn't appeal to me. Honestly it was this or a Porsche and the price tag on these cars was appealing for how amazing this car is to drive.

In Canada at least, this car is not getting the backing it deserves. Subaru offers the Sport-tech which I almost went with, but the Inazuma was the only currently available premium model with the performance package.

I am a huge Toyota fan, and I never expected to own a Subaru (the dealer's here have a lot of bad reviews compared to Toyota). C'est la vie I suppose. 86 or BRZ, I will love em until they are long gone.

I worked for Mayfield Toyota in Edmonton! I almost went with a used BRZ but ultimately went with Scion because of price and came up at the right time. I mean aside from little things here and there its all the same, the way I see it all the things you get with the BRZ interior I will add to mine over time.
Prax (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #89
Prax

Drives: 2017 BRZ Inazuma Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratzogram View Post
I worked for Mayfield Toyota in Edmonton! I almost went with a used BRZ but ultimately went with Scion because of price and came up at the right time. I mean aside from little things here and there its all the same, the way I see it all the things you get with the BRZ interior I will add to mine over time.
I love Mayfield Toyota. They have always treated me and my wife quite well (both had a Yaris, we sold hers though). We even get Mayfield to service her Mazda 2.

I got my car through Subaru City and it was a really good experience, but I haven't done any service with them yet. They seem sincere enough, but I am planning on doing 90% of the maintenance myself. Had a bad experience with terrible service from South gate Volkswagen that scarred me pretty good (service staff revving the engine and bouncing it off of redline to laugh with their buddies, and a service manager that wouldn't take any action on major manufacturer defects and problems. The car was in the shop so much and when it wasn't in the shop it was stranding me on the side of the road due to terrible coil pack failure rates).

Needless to say, Mayfield Toyota has a special place in my heart.

Prax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #90
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They only assemble them. The Subaru dealers would be just as happy to put you I something else as well.
The car is almost entirely a subaru parts bin special.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:14 AM   #91
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
How do you figure that?
daiheadjai (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #92
Kratzogram

Quote:
Needless to say, Mayfield Toyota has a special place in my heart.

I'm sure you could service your BRZ there, returning customers are always welcomed! just talk to your favorite service adviser and they would probably work something out!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #93
3ntropy

Drives: '16 Nissan Juke Stinger '14 R1
I do wonder how well this cars following will hold up if/when Nissan releases another Silvia. I'm hearing rumors on the 370z forum that the Z is going to go kaputs and Nissan will have to fill the void between their family sedans and the GT-R.
3ntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #94
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
How do you figure that?
Motoring.au probably.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-06-2017), daiheadjai (03-06-2017), HunterGreene (03-06-2017), Tcoat (03-05-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #95
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ntropy View Post
I do wonder how well this cars following will hold up if/when Nissan releases another Silvia. I'm hearing rumors on the 370z forum that the Z is going to go kaputs and Nissan will have to fill the void between their family sedans and the GT-R.
I think there is room for both. A 2L turbo silvia will be at least matched in price to the equivalent class hot hatches. That leaves a whooper price gap which means the market can probably bear both as the 86 does not need to recoup development costs anymore and the silvia will likely eat into it's sales (basically all the dudes that FI their 86). However the problem is my garage cannot store both....
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #96
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ntropy View Post
There is nothing saying they "have" to fill the void. They may just decide they are done in that segment. At least for a while.
If they did indeed come out with car that is under $30K they could most certainly steal some market share though. A quick search shows that such a beast is still in the rumor of rumors stage though.
Cole (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #97
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
When you go to a restaurant, do you credit the chef or the farmer for your meal?

Subaru needed lots of convincing to get on board with the BRZ, and most Subaru sales and service staff will try to steer you to the WRX instead (or a nice Forester).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #98
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Again, here is evidence of a product developer's nightmare. At least on the Toyota side here is someone (and I'm not specifically picking on you) that prefers their Yaris because of better interior appointment. The 86 is NOT about a nice interior. The seats and driving ergonomics are perfect for a small coupe, but they are not luxurious by any means. Many people bemoan the lack of power and work very had to improve on this aspect, but just as many complain about the interior. Luxury nearly killed the Miata and it made the WRX STI so much less than it should be. The original US spec STI didn't even have a radio. Luxury is weight, weight not only eats HP it creates kinetic energy. Your heated seats need horsepower to accelerate them, but don't forget those seats also have to be stopped and turned, necessitating bigger brakes and more robust suspension and therefore adding more weight.

People complain about the STI "not keeping up with the Jones'" when it comes to HP, but in reality it has become fat.

I'm sure there are even those that would kill for a sunroof. An 8 pound hunk of glass (and the 10 pounds of hardware needed to make it work) at the very top of the car would negate the concept of the low CG 86.

I wish the 86 came with roll up windows.

I think motorcycle guys have a keen sense of this. The difference between a supermoto and a Hayabusa is astounding, but yet they both can be super fun or super frustrating depending on the circumstances.
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SCQTT For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-06-2017), Cole (03-08-2017), Tcoat (03-06-2017)