follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2016, 03:07 AM   #43
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota86.ir View Post
I love my FD4.88 E85 stage2 gt86 throttle response , my car rev so nimble and crisp .
Some days i think about harrop SC kit but i really really worry about throttle response .
Do you think harrop make throttle less crisp?
If throttle response is your thing then a SC kit is a good way to go, from what I've read. Makes it feel like you essentially have a larger displacement engine and there is no lag involved.

Personally I don't think the car needs FI. If you combine the effects of the FD change, lighter drive shaft, headers and a custom e85 flex fuel tune I think (for a daily driver) it will be plenty fast enough for me. Then just refine the handing further with lighter 17" wheels, stickier 215 rubber and some light bracing should make for a pretty amazing feeling car.

The twins are really sensitive to change. Just this morning I checked tyre pressure and I was 34psi all round. Pumping them back to 35psi made a noticeable change, just rolled easier and smoother + throttle response felt crisper. Normally I check pressure every two weeks, but I had only a week had gone by so might be all the speed humps? I'm finding it really enjoyable just taking it easy and making small adjustments that little by little add to and improve the car as a whole. Something like FI seems like too much of a brute forced approach to the process.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB

Last edited by Mim; 02-23-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (02-23-2016), Toyota86.ir (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 04:13 AM   #44
Toyota86.ir
Mike Tune HKS E85 FD 4.88

Drives: Toyota GT86 AT NA Stage 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
If throttle response is your thing then a SC kit is a good way to go, from what I've read. Makes it feel like you essentially have a larger displacement engine and there is no lag involved.

Personally I don't think the car needs FI. If you combine the effects of the FD change, lighter drive shaft, headers and a custom e85 flex fuel tune I think (for a daily driver) it will be plenty fast enough for me. Then just refine the handing further with lighter 17" wheels, stickier 215 rubber and some light bracing should make for a pretty amazing feeling car.

The twins are really sensitive to change. Just this morning I checked tyre pressure and I was 34psi all round. Pumping them back to 35psi made a noticeable change, just rolled easier and smoother + throttle response felt crisper. Normally I check pressure every two weeks, but I had only a week had gone by so might be all the speed humps? I'm finding it really enjoyable just taking it easy and making small adjustments that little by little add to and improve the car as a whole. Something like FI seems like too much of a brute forced approach to the process.
It seems me and you are in same direction, i'm very very sensitive to tire pressure and i put it on 35psi and after some drift trips the tire make throttle more crisp. i really love it and i guess SC kit make a-little less crisp . i just guess and i have no real experience.
i think ITB are not awesome power makers but they make sharp throttle and i guess if intake is 10% less sharp than ITB then SC is 10% less sharp than NA intake.
my AT GT86 is 1200m above sea altitude and it has 15% less power than MT GT86 in sea altitude
Toyota86.ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #45
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hey @retrofit . where abouts in Melb are you? would love to hear the car, thinking about going the Harrop, but want to know how loud it would be compared to minee
Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #46
retrofit

Drives: Toyota 86
Nice to see some activity in my thread
I've experimented with the exhaust as per my post below...
retrofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #47
retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddbutter View Post
Hey @retrofit . where abouts in Melb are you? would love to hear the car, thinking about going the Harrop, but want to know how loud it would be compared to minee
Hey @fuddbutter, I'm in the western suburbs, happy for you to hear my car, although you should wait until I take the stock muffler off and put the Q300 back on. I can PM you when it's done to organise a time.

So what exhaust are you running at the moment?

I've had the stock muffler on for the last few weeks and in my opinion the exhaust note is horrible compared to the Q300. The stock muffler produces an annoying rasp/vibration in the high 1k to low 2k rpm range, this makes the car annoying to drive especially after a cold start, when the rasp is more noticeable.

During my daily commute, after the engine/exhaust has warmed up, I have to accelerate past 2500 rpm as quickly as possible from standstill traffic to minimise the rasp. One positive worth mentioning, in the higher rpm range (above 4k - 7k rpm) the stock muffler is a lot quieter than the Q300. This allows me to enjoy driving at the limit more often with less fear of attracting too much attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to retrofit For This Useful Post:
fuddbutter (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #48
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
Hey @fuddbutter, I'm in the western suburbs, happy for you to hear my car, although you should wait until I take the stock muffler off and put the Q300 back on. I can PM you when it's done to organise a time.

So what exhaust are you running at the moment?
Yeah that would be awesome.

I am running a Tanabe Medallion cat back at the moment, with some HKS catted EL headers coming.
The Tanabe sounds fantastic, not too loud.
I have been a bit hesitant about upgrading the headers, my car is a work car (I am a sales rep) and it already gets enough attention (big wheels, slammed etc)
Don't want to give the cops more of a reason to pull me over!
Old 03-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #49
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
In for the sound of the Harrop kit since it's the kit I decided to go with instead of Edelbrock!

Ordering this summer! Curious to hear the sound!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #50
retrofit

The Q300 cat-back finally went back on over the weekend. All I can say is the exhaust note sounds a lot better compared to stock. Even the muffler rasp/vibration around 2450rpm doesn't sound too bad. Perhaps I tightened the bolts properly this time round...

By the way, I have also installed a Cusco front strut brace with brake cylinder stopper, it clears the Harrop kit pretty well.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #51
dazbrz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Love it! I noticed your not running a oil cooler? Or I could be wrong ahah Any issues with heat? I daily my brz so I drive alot! ahaha
dazbrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build thread, forced induction, harrop, supercharger