follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Hawaii

Hawaii Aloha!

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #29
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz_star21 View Post
Yup, there's a tank on Pearl Harbor but it's for federal vehicles only. I'm sure other bases are like that too around the island.

Your only private option is E10 92 octane which is a standard sold everywhere on island.
There is the one station in town selling 100 octane race gas, but I heard from someone who just got some that its close to $20 a gallon!
Back when we had a track, they used to sell it out of one of the normal pumps and I remember getting some before an autocross for less than $10 a gal.
Yes, you heard right, there is no race track on Oahu.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #30
brz_star21

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
There is the one station in town selling 100 octane race gas, but I heard from someone who just got some that its close to $20 a gallon!
Back when we had a track, they used to sell it out of one of the normal pumps and I remember getting some before an autocross for less than $10 a gal.
Yes, you heard right, there is no race track on Oahu.
That'd be the 76 Station in McCully. I'm not sure if they still sell them from the barrel. I'd be concerned with how long it has been sitting inside that barrel, though. Who knows what the demand is like for race gas on Oahu after the track closed.
brz_star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #31
REAV3R
Former Boost Junkie

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Picking up my Ultramarine FRS from the docks in a just a couple hours... FINALLY, I can ditch the crap-tastic rental car and drive in some style! I live up in the Wahiawa area. (Schofield Barracks FML) I've spotted about three other BRZ/FRS on post. Any of those belong to any of you? A Firestorm FRS, and a WRB and SWP BRZs. I think the white BRZ is in my brigade.

See you guys around!
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling more than 170hp is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling... penguins... while making love... to a beautiful woman while on fire, on stage... in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." ~ J.Clarkson
REAV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #32
DocCola
Something funny

Drives: 2011 WRX hatch DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, I'm another soon to be newbie to the island. My wife and I currently own 2 GR WRXs but we're trading my WRX on a BRZ at the very end of this year so I can trade it and ship it to the island a few weeks later so it's waiting for me. We're pretty lucky because a week after I found out we're going (my report date is April 10th 2015 at Scholfield) we found out her brother, an AF officer, is going to Hickam. So we will have somewhere to stay while she job hunts (she is an ABA/BCBA if anyone knows what that is) THEN we'll find a place to live.

Honestly, I'm beyond excited to get to Hawaii. New place, new car, kind of a "new" life from the crap I've dealt with the last 8 years. I will stay there as long as the Army allows. I'm happy to see there are SO many other BRZ/FRS owners down there. I plan on keeping my car fairly stock power wise the first 2 years and doing nothing but my extencive interior upgrades and minior exterior, well, except the air ride, that's not minor.

It's a ways off before I get there but I'm very much looking forward to it! Hope to meet some of you!

-Ajay
Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #33
HI

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Traffic blows. That is all.
HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #34
fantah

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Black
Garage
+1 ^
fantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #35
DocCola
Something funny

Drives: 2011 WRX hatch DGM
I can live with traffic. I commuted into Boston for almost 3 years and it's likely that I'll ride my motorcycle more than drive the BRZ for commuting purposes.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #36
CN9Adaiski

Drives: 2008 AR Toyota Vitz S [XP90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack43 View Post
Hey @RedLeader
You will love this road above Honolulu:

Tantalus road. It's got a lot of banked switchbacks on nice pavement. Made for a light RWD car with a limited slip.

Maybe a lunchtime drive (<1hr door-to-door). Or a nighttime rendezvous with a date.
Please dont go bombing up or down the mountain. I go up for a drive after work and lately there have been a lot more cops than usual due to complaints about people driving fast or making too much noise. There are parts of the road where its super bumpy and there is only enough room for one vehicle to pass through due to the road being narrow. Just cause there is a yellow solid to split lanes up doesnt mean much up there.

In fact, I went up this morning after work just to see cops everywhere on the mountain. There was one Celica pulled so maybe he did something dumb but you cant even enjoy the drive. I always cruise up and down but all I got this time were a lot of blue lights blinding me.
CN9Adaiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #37
FRS808EOD

Drives: Scion FRS Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAV3R View Post
Picking up my Ultramarine FRS from the docks in a just a couple hours... FINALLY, I can ditch the crap-tastic rental car and drive in some style! I live up in the Wahiawa area. (Schofield Barracks FML) I've spotted about three other BRZ/FRS on post. Any of those belong to any of you? A Firestorm FRS, and a WRB and SWP BRZs. I think the white BRZ is in my brigade.

See you guys around!
I own a lowered "hot lava" (orange) FRS and go to a lot of the #86hawaii meets. They are normally last weekend of the month. I am on Schofield Barracks as well.
FRS808EOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #38
Shim
Dismember

Drives: FR-S & JSW
What is the rust like in Hawaii, and does it make much difference if you are windward or leeward?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #39
fantah

Garage
Windward is pretty bad. Salt air everywhere. Leeward is better.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #40
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Finally have a date! I'll be on the island on the 21st, not sure when my car will arrive, since I drop it off to get shipped on the 19th. Hopefully I can ride out most of the car-less time on base so I can just walk everywhere, or bum rides from someone at my new unit. I'm excited to get out of this desert and off to somewhere new.
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #41
fantah

Garage
Yay! see you here!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #42
Rougenite

Drives: Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim View Post
What is the rust like in Hawaii, and does it make much difference if you are windward or leeward?
Windward is pretty bad for it, especially right now >_<.

Perspective: Just put together a brand new computer ~ a month ago, (Corsair case for you computer nerds) and its already starting to show rust.
Rougenite is offline   Reply With Quote