follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #29
PurpleSpaceShip

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ooops sorry. I didn't read well enough.
The shaft bearing is not likely your issue since your noise goes away when you push the clutch. It is also impossible for it to touch the flywheel.
so if you had to guess, would u say issue is inside the gearbox or outside?
PurpleSpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleSpaceShip View Post
so if you had to guess, would u say issue is inside the gearbox or outside?
I have told you what my guess is. I have little doubt.
wparsons (06-07-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #31
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
can i order the pilot bearing through dealership? how much would that cost? OEM replacement of flywheel is around $200 if im not mistaken
Ft86 speedfactory has OEM replacement exedy flywheels for much less. With a pilot bearing pressed in.
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #32
jfarkas

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
well, no problem bro, because if its TOB its actually an easier fix lol. i hope that turns out to be the problem.

@jfarkas ok bro ill keep an eye for your message thank you for this!
Well, just got back from the dealership; they did the HPFP to kill the crickets, which is actually kind of nice to have fixed. Talked to them about the transmission as well.

The tech who did the work and test drove it this morning said the only noise he could hear was the fuel pump before replacement, and just normal transmission noise/gear rollover.

I told him the noise and conditions it happened in, and that it was infrequent in warmer weather but more noticeable in the cold. He said even if it was in early stages of going bad, TOB would make more noise, as he's replaced them before and input-shaft/pilot bearing would be constant and far less likely to become inaudible even after warmup. Also said clutch still felt almost new despite my hooning of the car, they could tell I baby it lol.

Thinking back, I started noticing it around the time I replaced the stock gear oil with Redline MT90, which is a little bit thicker, and I also did so in the fall when it got cooler out. Their conclusion was the thicker fluid takes longer to warm up, leading to more gearbox noise which is why it goes away after a couple minutes of warmup or driving or when I clutch in, since it decouples the engine from tranny and the tranny spins down to a stop. They said it doesn't sound concerning and that it's just how these cars are with practically no sound deadening; you just hear more noise you wouldn't normally hear in other cars.

So in my case at least, its apparently just gear rollover as @humfrz guessed and nothing imminently breaking itself. They said if it gets worse or changes to bring it back in but otherwise, enjoy the car as it's meant to be driven and get to some track days. Super professional and helpful about everything, so i'm now loyal to that dealership and on first-name basis with the service advisor and tech.
jfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jfarkas For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-07-2018), Joesurf79 (06-07-2018), zc06_kisstherain (06-08-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #33
PurpleSpaceShip

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarkas View Post
Well, just got back from the dealership; they did the HPFP to kill the crickets, which is actually kind of nice to have fixed. Talked to them about the transmission as well.

The tech who did the work and test drove it this morning said the only noise he could hear was the fuel pump before replacement, and just normal transmission noise/gear rollover.

I told him the noise and conditions it happened in, and that it was infrequent in warmer weather but more noticeable in the cold. He said even if it was in early stages of going bad, TOB would make more noise, as he's replaced them before and input-shaft/pilot bearing would be constant and far less likely to become inaudible even after warmup. Also said clutch still felt almost new despite my hooning of the car, they could tell I baby it lol.

Thinking back, I started noticing it around the time I replaced the stock gear oil with Redline MT90, which is a little bit thicker, and I also did so in the fall when it got cooler out. Their conclusion was the thicker fluid takes longer to warm up, leading to more gearbox noise which is why it goes away after a couple minutes of warmup or driving or when I clutch in, since it decouples the engine from tranny and the tranny spins down to a stop. They said it doesn't sound concerning and that it's just how these cars are with practically no sound deadening; you just hear more noise you wouldn't normally hear in other cars.

So in my case at least, its apparently just gear rollover as @humfrz guessed and nothing imminently breaking itself. They said if it gets worse or changes to bring it back in but otherwise, enjoy the car as it's meant to be driven and get to some track days. Super professional and helpful about everything, so i'm now loyal to that dealership and on first-name basis with the service advisor and tech.

bro are you sure your car made same noise as shown in the video? when mine is making noise clutch pedal is not pressed, the clutch pedal is not pressed. its in neutral and both feet are away from pedals. was this the case with your car?
PurpleSpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #34
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
bro are you sure your car made same noise as shown in the video? when mine is making noise clutch pedal is not pressed, the clutch pedal is not pressed. its in neutral and both feet are away from pedals. was this the case with your car?
I will say this one more time and then give up.

The TOB MAKES noise when the clutch is NOT depressed. It STOPS making noise when you push the clutch. If you let it get bad enough you can play a little song by pushing and releasing the clutch. If your noise comes and goes with the clutch pressed or released it is NOT gear rollover, internals or pilot bearings it is clutch related with the most likely culprit being the TOB.
Joesurf79 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #35
Joesurf79

The TOB is in constant contact with the pressure plate fingers is what tcoat is saying. Whether you touch clutch pedal or no, the bearing is touching and should be spinni g smoothly. Just with no load to support until you press the pedal. Thus it can vibrate and squeak until you press pedal, slack is taken up, and the bearing can't vibrate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joesurf79 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-07-2018), wparsons (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #36
jfarkas

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Garage
Quote:

Yes sir, same conditions. Clutch not pressed, in neutral, feet off the pedals. I mentioned to him about the TOB and if it could be an early warning sign of it becoming deformed with/without load as @Tcoat said, but he's worked on these cars before was confident after test driving that it wasn't related.

Considering I wasn't even there for the parts they replaced and didn't even realize it could be warrantied, and that they offered replacement proactively, I don't feel they're trying to screw me by lying to me about the TOB either. So while in the end, there's always the chance it could still end up being that, I'm confident in the tech's diagnosis of mine and comfortable driving until it actually actively starts failing, if it ever does.
jfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jfarkas For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (06-08-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #37
RallySTI

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
damaged pilot bearing means new flywheel? am i right?
No it does not mean new flywheel.

you can but the pilot bearing and press it in the flywheel. Find a socket that will rest on the outer race of the bearing and use that to press out the old bearing and then press in the new.
RallySTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #38
Joesurf79

I'm dying to know Purple Space Ship - did you find the root cause of your noise?