follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2014, 04:13 AM   #57
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buy the BRZ new. Trust me, if you're just going to keep it stock for a while, it feels really good to have the factory warranty when and if something goes wrong.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #58
manonastick

Drives: WRB ZC6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnold View Post
@HerMax I love my AP1 and driving it is a joy but you've ultimately hit the nail on the head.

For a replacement car there is nothing that feels close to being as good as the BRZ for a driving experience. The rawness has been removed but that's ok and I understand the nuances of newer cars.

Looking and driving the two cars it's hard to judge the the potential but I actually think the BRZ can be superior with work.

At the end of the day why do car manufacturers design such sloppy gear boxes? Out of all the options today :/ So many amazing cars that just feel sloppy
The rawness feel is still in the brz just you have to be going at a higher speed than in the s2000 before you feel it. Brz key point compared to the s2000 as you have said its the potential, it was designed in mind for people to make their own modifications but a great out of box package while the s2k was engineering marvel that excelled as performance car out of the box (and as a s2000 owner i understand how expensive parts are for the s2000 mods etc). As mentioned on this forum before a simple camber bolt would have help the cars handling but has been excluded to keep cost down and the car is lighter than s2000 despite all the luxuries that is there and parts to pass emissions and safety equipment. The brz gear box technically is the same as the s2000 as but the s2000 had a highly modified Aisin AZ6 Gearbox which is why the shiftier and gearbox feels lot more superior compared to the BRZ. But again with shiftier spring + transmission mount no more than 200 dollars worth of parts i have heard people in my local Australian club achieve a very similar feeling.

Hopes it helps buddy

But i didn't know you had 2 s2000 i would of just suggested you to jump straight onto the band wagon.

P.S Excuse my poor grammar if i had made any ;P
manonastick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manonastick For This Useful Post:
Darnold (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 02:18 AM   #59
vhx1

Drives: 06 AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes.. indeed as a sportscar the S2000 is far superior to the BRZ. BRZ/FRS is much better daily driver. I own an almost stock 06 S2000 and a stock BRZ limited. Couple things that annoy me on my BRZ limited: crappy stock sound system and no alignment adjustment options from the factory except F+R toe, and the engine feels like a pile of crap.. however I still like the car alot and DD it since it's so much more comfortable than the s2000.

Why the S2000 is a "superior sportscar"
- indestructible engine that revs to 8k (F22C1) it's got forged internals and won't blow up like Subaru's do.
- best tranny gearshift feel ever
- proper double wishbone front and rear suspension with full alignment adjustment from the factory.
- the feeling of having the rear end wanting to step out at every corner makes me giggle like a school girl.

The funny thing is.. my s2000 is probably worth more than the BRZ if I were to sell both cars now.
Reposting myself.. but I am DDing my BRZ now but still have my S2k. Overall, BRZ is the superior DD but S2K driving experience still more rewarding. I am still happy with the BRZ purchase. If you can take the power hit, then it shouldn't be a problem.. just comes down to a test drive. I daily drived my S2000 for about a year and took it to the track many times as well. If I needed to commute everyday to work in just one car, I would take the BRZ/FRS without a doubt. For a trackday or spirited weekend drive, the S2k is much better for that.
vhx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vhx1 For This Useful Post:
Darnold (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #60
Darnold

Drives: 04' 400whp S2000, 01' DD S2000
Garage
@akahenry I'm one of those sick and twisted individuals that looks forward to parts breaking on the car... That and it gives me a good excuse to buy more car parts

@manostick that is actually extremely interesting to hear, I'll have to look into it and if I can figure it out I'll be jumping straight on that from the get go! The BRZ feels amazing but even my DD with 128k had a bit of an edge, would be great to bring that in line and give the car the feeling it needs.
@vhx1 already planning a supercharger the first day the power hit actually bothers me. Will probably be the first time a kid races me in a v6 honda odyssey TBH.

So my only major concern with the BRZ/FRS is the FA20... Have there been any horror stories about THIS boxer motor? I know living in New England, specifically NH there are so many WRX/STIs around that the shop I take my car to is pumping out 2-3 WRX/STI rebuilds a month. Sometimes more. I get that most of these kids are turning up the boost on questionable tunes BUT still seems a bit much.

It could also be the turbo jitters and kids see the potential for more power cheaply and go for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darnold For This Useful Post:
akahenry (09-05-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #61
manonastick

Drives: WRB ZC6
Well other than crickets and the direct injection seals I haven't heard any problem with the fa20. Subaru motors are known be reliable. I heard the crickets and direct injections are caused by ethanol blends in all octane in the states. In Australia we have 93(98) octane everywhere with no ethanol here and we don't have anyone with the same issue here yet.

I confirm with a shifter spring + transmission collar mount the gear box feels very close to a s2000 tried it in a guy's frs with this combo and I can't wait for my parts to arrive now
manonastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #62
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by manonastick View Post
Well other than crickets and the direct injection seals I haven't heard any problem with the fa20. Subaru motors are known be reliable. I heard the crickets and direct injections are caused by ethanol blends in all octane in the states. In Australia we have 93(98) octane everywhere with no ethanol here and we don't have anyone with the same issue here yet.

I confirm with a shifter spring + transmission collar mount the gear box feels very close to a s2000 tried it in a guy's frs with this combo and I can't wait for my parts to arrive now
Can you give a link to the parts, I'm interested.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #63
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Can you give a link to the parts, I'm interested.
Bump for the shifter parts, I'm also interested.
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #64
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but do go into it accounting that it will have less power than the s2000 (I mean stock to stock, not potential to potential)!!
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #65
Darnold

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but do go into it accounting that it will have less power than the s2000 (I mean stock to stock, not potential to potential)!!
Calm this has already been accounted for, I don't have a lot of faith in reliability for the FA20 so power goals would be sub 300 where as stock F22C1 (My other S2K) is making 400.

The chassis is the real potential that I want to get into.

Trust me I lover lightweight low horsepower cars! If I can't drive fast with 90 horsepower 900 won't help me
Old 09-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #66
Darnold

Garage
So for those interested I did some research and found:

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/driv...r-bushings-99/

Bunch of bushings mostly.

Still can't sell my S2000 but at this point it may just get traded in, the want/need for a new platform to drive is somewhat killing me. NH still does not have 2015 BRZs on the lots however truecar prices them at 27k and up. There are several 2013 hitting lots at around 21-22k for a limited with 10-15k miles. That is looking like the route I will end up taking for a replacement!

Thank you all for the information and support in the transition can't wait to be one of you
Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #67
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
IMO I would buy a brand new BRZ limited. Here's why:
1) you get to break it in (I recommend moderately hard - I have no oil burning issues and I'm at 56k KM)
2) you don't know what they previous owner did if you buy used, I have seen a lot of crap on this forum of people tampering with wiring and such, plus some just beating I it as soon as it leaves the dealer lot
3) you get a full warranty and piece of mind.
4) Limited/Sport Tech trims was totally worth it to me, as I've driven mine on 3 huge road trips ( 5000KM+ each) and it was comfortable with everything we packed and the wife enjoyed the dual climate and heated seats.
4) I've daily driven mine for the past three summers and loved it no complaints, I dont Winter drive it, so nothing to say there.

These are the biggest points I can think of right now. Btw I would love to have a S2K, that would be sweet to have for wknd fun but I understand why it can get tiring. Anyways good luck.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gords_zenith For This Useful Post:
Darnold (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #68
Darnold

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
IMO I would buy a brand new BRZ limited. Here's why:
1) you get to break it in (I recommend moderately hard - I have no oil burning issues and I'm at 56k KM)
2) you don't know what they previous owner did if you buy used, I have seen a lot of crap on this forum of people tampering with wiring and such, plus some just beating I it as soon as it leaves the dealer lot
3) you get a full warranty and piece of mind.
4) Limited/Sport Tech trims was totally worth it to me, as I've driven mine on 3 huge road trips ( 5000KM+ each) and it was comfortable with everything we packed and the wife enjoyed the dual climate and heated seats.
4) I've daily driven mine for the past three summers and loved it no complaints, I dont Winter drive it, so nothing to say there.

These are the biggest points I can think of right now. Btw I would love to have a S2K, that would be sweet to have for wknd fun but I understand why it can get tiring. Anyways good luck.
@Gords so here is my problem with a new BRZ if comparing value.

A 2015 BRZ limited per truecar out the door will be just over 27K as of a week ago. NH doesn't pay sales tax thank god.

A 2014 BRZ limited will be 21K (realistically if i can't talk them down to 20K going into fall I've got problems).

Is a new car and what you state above worth 6K difference? Granted I find one that has never been modified with low mileage. I'm going to go with not likely, that gives me room to go through and rebuild the head should it be needed, replace the clutch for a beefier clutch or if after 5-10K miles I really am not happy with the car pick up a vortech supercharger and go from there.

As for the s2000s they are an absolute blast, I'm getting rid of a 2001 w/ 128K on the odo, thankfully I will still have my 2004 w/ 50K kicking around in storage (if it ever gets out of the shop).

Is buying used the right decision? Probably not if I want to keep the car stock for a LONG time and enjoy being worry free. I've never kept a car stock for longer than a month tho!!!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #69
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnold View Post
@Gords so here is my problem with a new BRZ if comparing value.

A 2015 BRZ limited per truecar out the door will be just over 27K as of a week ago. NH doesn't pay sales tax thank god.

A 2014 BRZ limited will be 21K (realistically if i can't talk them down to 20K going into fall I've got problems).

Is a new car and what you state above worth 6K difference? Granted I find one that has never been modified with low mileage. I'm going to go with not likely, that gives me room to go through and rebuild the head should it be needed, replace the clutch for a beefier clutch or if after 5-10K miles I really am not happy with the car pick up a vortech supercharger and go from there.

As for the s2000s they are an absolute blast, I'm getting rid of a 2001 w/ 128K on the odo, thankfully I will still have my 2004 w/ 50K kicking around in storage (if it ever gets out of the shop).

Is buying used the right decision? Probably not if I want to keep the car stock for a LONG time and enjoy being worry free. I've never kept a car stock for longer than a month tho!!!

That's the burning question, is 6k difference worth it? Haha, to me I think so, unless I could find one that was original in good shape, I know it's only been for short time but judging from I've seen on here, it would make very hesitant to jump for a used one...if your modding it I would still look fr something untouched for the sake of knowing exactly what has been done to the car. It's like when people try looking for untouched Supra (I know different class of car) but it's like looking for a unicorn haha. However in saying all that, if your comfortable with buying used and you're going to mod it yourself anyways, then maybe not, that 6k could go towards more cool goodies....completely subjective. I just wanted to give you something to think about....
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #70
Darnold

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
That's the burning question, is 6k difference worth it? Haha, to me I think so, unless I could find one that was original in good shape, I know it's only been for short time but judging from I've seen on here, it would make very hesitant to jump for a used one...if your modding it I would still look fr something untouched for the sake of knowing exactly what has been done to the car. It's like when people try looking for untouched Supra (I know different class of car) but it's like looking for a unicorn haha. However in saying all that, if your comfortable with buying used and you're going to mod it yourself anyways, then maybe not, that 6k could go towards more cool goodies....completely subjective. I just wanted to give you something to think about....
Ohh I absolutely agree, the beauty of New England is that as it starts to get colder the price of these cars will just drop and drop. Ideally if I pick up a BRZ limited with <10K miles I will hopefully be able to keep it under warranty long enough to fix whatever a prior owner or the dealer messed up
The Following User Says Thank You to Darnold For This Useful Post:
Gords_zenith (09-09-2014)