follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2019, 07:13 AM   #29
ermax

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Raven
Thanked 1,305 Times in 793 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure I fully understand your description. If you line all the colored links properly and then turn the motor over it is totally normal for all the colored links to no longer line up. They donít line back up after each full rotation. I guess if you turn it over a gazillion times they may all line back up again. But it doesnít matter as long as they were in the right place before you did your test rotation.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-26-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #30
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My question was with the alignment marks on the face of the gears not pointing directly at each other after rotating the engine with the chain installed. Because I had improperly tried to move the cam with the teeth of the gear, I had moved the oil controlled gear into an advanced position. So... even though it was timed properly and I was fairly confident it made me pause and reach out to see if anybody else had traveled this path.
ORrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #31
ermax

Setting Timing LH Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post
My question was with the alignment marks on the face of the gears not pointing directly at each other after rotating the engine with the chain installed. Because I had improperly tried to move the cam with the teeth of the gear, I had moved the oil controlled gear into an advanced position. So... even though it was timed properly and I was fairly confident it made me pause and reach out to see if anybody else had traveled this path.

Turning them by the teeth would be hard on the teeth but wouldnít be any different than turning them with the SST as far as timing is concerned. The external portion of the gear is all you can set. The advance all happens internally. You only need to be sure the external marks line up. So as long as all the gears pointed in the right directions and the crank was the right place and all the colored links are right then you are fine. Once you rotate the engine these marks go all out of wack which is normal.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:22 AM   #32
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Used the chain in my failed attempt to move the cam so there was no abnormal interface with the gear teeth that could potentially cause damage to the teeth.

The camshaft has to be able to move independent from the chain driven teeth of the cam gear to achieve the valve timing variance. No variation in the chain. It is correct that the oil controlled operation of the variation is all internal to the gear.

You would have to rotate the engine dozens of times for the links to align with the marks on the gears used in the initial timing of each chain but the triangle marks on the face of the intake and exhaust gears should be pointing at each other on their respective cylinder heads every two rotations the crankshaft.

No sweat. We got dis'.
ORrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ORrooster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #33
ermax

Are you saying the gears did not line up after rotating? Iím just trying to wrap my head around how that would even be possible other than the chain jumping. I thought it was the links you were concerned about. Anyways I guess you got it running so that is good.

Tags
cam sprocket, camshaft, issues, timing, timing chain