follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Jack Carrigan

Drives: Scrion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Suspension

So at 115k my suspension is failing (2013 scion frs), back wheel is a inch low and getting lower.

I already scrape the front on everything, 2 in. lip on a driveway? thats a scrape.
I scrape the middle over big speed bumps. So I actually want stock height or even a little more than stock height.

and unless it says lowering in the description, its is hard to tell. I was hoping to spend about 600$

Tein Flex Z Coilovers Coils Set for 2013-2016 Scion FR-S Toyota 86 Subaru BRZ (maybe too much $1000)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tein-Flex-Z...53.m1438.l2649

better price 649$ but seems lower?
MEGAN RACING EZ STREET COILOVERS FOR 2013-2016 SCION FR-S - MR-CDK-SFR12-EZ - (2016 2015 2014 2013)

https://propartsusa.com/products/Meg...RoCgCsQAvD_BwE

really appreciate if you guys can help.
Jack Carrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
You can get Flex Z's for under 900.

I'd look at the ST line of coilovers if you are just street driving, or just find another set of low mile take off struts off craigslist or FB marketplace.
norcalpb (07-07-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
Jack Carrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You can get Flex Z's for under 900.

I'd look at the ST line of coilovers if you are just street driving, or just find another set of low mile take off struts off craigslist or FB marketplace.
those Teins have a high ride height adjusted? I only do street driving, so at highspeeds on curvy 2 lane roads, so I will appreciate better handling.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
If you want stock height, coilovers generally aren't the way to go. They're not designed to be run at stock height most of the time.

At your budget, get a good set of OEM style shocks such as Koni, Bilstein B6, or maybe the Sachs or Cusco options. You'll most likely get a better damper than a cheaper coilover (at the expense of all the coilover features that you don't really need for your usage).

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (07-16-2020), DarkPira7e (07-16-2020), Grateful Dave (07-07-2020), new2subaru (07-15-2020), pallen (07-17-2020), why? (07-26-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
Jack Carrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
If you want stock height, coilovers generally aren't the way to go. They're not designed to be run at stock height most of the time.

At your budget, get a good set of OEM style shocks such as Koni, Bilstein B6, or maybe the Sachs or Cusco options. You'll most likely get a better damper than a cheaper coilover (at the expense of all the coilover features that you don't really need for your usage).

- Andrew
Thanks for your help. I actually googled coilovers did not even know what they were.

I cant seem to find koni or sachs. Bilstein b6 seems to just be struts that I can find (there is a nice set of Bilstein for 1100$ and maybe I should just get those). Cusco only had coilovers that I can find. Selection of non coilovers is very limited or just doesnt exist. I am tempted to get stock used suspension from a junkyard ($200) but kinda want an upgrade.
I think I am going to get teins found some where you use existing hardware for $620. seems like these will be good, and I should probably learn to drive to avoid scraping. Even though I think this car has already been lowered a little bit because my BRZ did not scrape nearly as much. (I havent been able to get the wheels off to inspect the suspension because I need a key for the lugs)

https://shop.redline360.com/products...BoCkWUQAvD_BwE
Old 07-15-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
JonAvalon
SCBYD0

Drives: 18 BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you're looking stay at stock springs but want an upgrade. Tein's has a line of replacement shocks. I just installed their adjustable model yesterday. However I'm on lowering springs but so far it seems like a good budget option aside from the Cusco if you don't need the height adjustability or want to mix and match springs. Otherwise maybe check out your local 86/brz facebook groups, someone always sells their OEM or Sachs struts for cheap.

https://www.tein.com/products/endurapro.html

Purchased from Rallysportdirect. I did wait until a 10% holiday coupon came up.

Endura Pro Plus (16 way adjustable)

EnduraPro (Non-adjustable)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Carrigan View Post
Thanks for your help. I actually googled coilovers did not even know what they were.

I cant seem to find koni or sachs. Bilstein b6 seems to just be struts that I can find (there is a nice set of Bilstein for 1100$ and maybe I should just get those). Cusco only had coilovers that I can find. Selection of non coilovers is very limited or just doesnt exist. I am tempted to get stock used suspension from a junkyard ($200) but kinda want an upgrade.
I think I am going to get teins found some where you use existing hardware for $620. seems like these will be good, and I should probably learn to drive to avoid scraping. Even though I think this car has already been lowered a little bit because my BRZ did not scrape nearly as much. (I havent been able to get the wheels off to inspect the suspension because I need a key for the lugs)

https://shop.redline360.com/products...BoCkWUQAvD_BwE
I would assess what you have first, including the condition of your top mounts and suspension bushings. 115k miles is enough that it's not just your shocks that are tired!

One advantage of a full coilover set up is you'll replace springs, shocks, and sometimes topmounts too in one package. But you can piece that all together with a regular spring + fixed perch style damper + new OEM mounts and it may be better for you than a cheaper coilover.

Coilovers aren't always better, especially if you want stock height. The most important part of the equation is the damper itself. Very cheap coilovers make sacrifices in the quality of the damper to get all the other features at a certain price point.

If I bought a BRZ/FRS/GT86 tomorrow with over 100k miles to build as a strictly street car...I would do the following:

1. inspect every bushing and suspension arm, replace with new OEM or group N rubber if needed. And replace rear toe and rear LCA arms with something adjustable.
2. new shocks, springs, top mounts. A couple different options here. Bilstein B6 is a good choice, and there are new options I haven't had a chance to test. OEM PP springs, RCE Yellows, some of the STI springs, those work well. OR good quality road & track style coilovers if you want something a little more extra.
3. inspect brake pads, rotors, calipers, and replace fluid.

I should make a "just bought an older ft86" package to put on the site.

- Andrew
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (07-16-2020), new2subaru (07-17-2020), norcalpb (07-16-2020), why? (07-26-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
Milhouse86
Noob

Drives: 13' FRS, 13' F150, 17' A4, 69' 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's sounds like you are really looking for a stock replacement personally.

The reality is the stock setup is pretty good for a road car. Before you change something like suspension you want to have a goal in mind for your use. Street driving? Not lowered? Concerned with scraping?

Swap some new(ish) stock setup and you will be happy. They will also last longer then cheap after market parts will.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
2. new shocks, springs, top mounts. A couple different options here. Bilstein B6 is a good choice, and there are new options I haven't had a chance to test.

- Andrew
What options are those exactly?
I have only seen Bilstein and Koni options available through common sources.
B6 is on my list once my shocks are kaput.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #10
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
What options are those exactly?
I have only seen Bilstein and Koni options available through common sources.
B6 is on my list once my shocks are kaput.
Cusco, Tein, Showa. Haven't tried any of them but I'm curious.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I want to try Custco Touring-A shocks because JDM. But no one talks about them since Bistein and Koni are the popular options.
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #12
Jack Carrigan

Quote:
I would assess what you have first, including the condition of your top mounts and suspension bushings. 115k miles is enough that it's not just your shocks that are tired!

One advantage of a full coilover set up is you'll replace springs, shocks, and sometimes topmounts too in one package. But you can piece that all together with a regular spring + fixed perch style damper + new OEM mounts and it may be better for you than a cheaper coilover.

Coilovers aren't always better, especially if you want stock height. The most important part of the equation is the damper itself. Very cheap coilovers make sacrifices in the quality of the damper to get all the other features at a certain price point.

If I bought a BRZ/FRS/GT86 tomorrow with over 100k miles to build as a strictly street car...I would do the following:

1. inspect every bushing and suspension arm, replace with new OEM or group N rubber if needed. And replace rear toe and rear LCA arms with something adjustable.
2. new shocks, springs, top mounts. A couple different options here. Bilstein B6 is a good choice, and there are new options I haven't had a chance to test. OEM PP springs, RCE Yellows, some of the STI springs, those work well. OR good quality road & track style coilovers if you want something a little more extra.
3. inspect brake pads, rotors, calipers, and replace fluid.

I should make a "just bought an older ft86" package to put on the site.

- Andrew
my understanding is that the lowering is a failure of the springs not the struts? is it the struts that normally go out?
Old 07-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #13
Jack Carrigan

I will be taking off the wheels this weekend. I dont know if I will be able to tell what is causing the one corner to sag. I am also not completely certain it has stock suspension. It may already be lowered and that is why I am having a scraping problem (not lowered by alot, I have 1 inch clearance of wheel to outer top of fenders at front. and now 1/2 to -1/2inch on the back depending on side.

I have now spent 8 hours looking at suspension online and am still very confused. Most mechanics in my area refuse to just diagnose or assess my situation, they require that i agree to pay them for the repair. While I am fairly experiences with Car repairs in general, this is my first time into suspension and will be my first swap regardless of what I chose.

I will be inspecting swing arms, brakes etc. the front mounts are in good condition from what I can see under the hood. A little cracking but much better than other cars I have seen/have owned.

I have read every post and really appreciate your help. i am still tempted to try the coilovers and just see the difference and try to figure out how to not scrape as much. This is a salvage car that I have repaired frame, and hood and fenders and lights and intake, and headers among many many other things. Honestly this is just and excuse to upgrade the suspension now. if all I really need is struts/shocks I may just do that. I was told that it was either spring or strut that was failing and I should just replace both., but that was not by a person familiar with the FRS suspension specifically.

Last edited by Jack Carrigan; 07-16-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Carrigan View Post
my understanding is that the lowering is a failure of the springs not the struts? is it the struts that normally go out?
Both can do it. There's not a lot of gas pressure in our OEM dampers but there is some.

Measure from center of wheel hub to fender...should be approximately 14.5 inches front and rear. Not all corners are identical from the factory though.

Basic thing I wrote on coilovers vs regular shocks + springs:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45542

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
pallen (07-17-2020)