follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
rosol16
Not A Member

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Tomei UEL leak?

I have a what sounds like an exhaust leak but not from the header it sounds like maybe the overpipe. I know this is common for some of the cheaper headers but I wouldn't consider Tomei a cheap one. Is it normal to sound like that? I have double checked and made sure all bolts are tight. It doesn't always sound like it just at around 3k-5k at WOT.
rosol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
get under your car and feel around to see if you can feel any air rushing out of the connections. however, I think it's just the noise that comes with the UEL and you don't have a leak. my Gruppe-S (almost identical to Tomei) has the same sounds of a leak but there really isn't any. you can hear it on a cold start pretty well but I have verified that there's no leaks.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosol16 View Post
I have a what sounds like an exhaust leak but not from the header it sounds like maybe the overpipe. I know this is common for some of the cheaper headers but I wouldn't consider Tomei a cheap one. Is it normal to sound like that? I have double checked and made sure all bolts are tight. It doesn't always sound like it just at around 3k-5k at WOT.
Thinner side walls in aftermarket headers. Normal. /thread

This has been covered many times before and its normal so dont worry about it and go enjoy your car
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
IMO best way to check for leaks is to drive 1k miles, get under the car and look for lots of black soot near all mating connections in the exhaust flow. Leaks can be very subtle such that you can't really tell there's air moving, but over time if there is one eventually you'll see soot buildup.

Here's an example of what to look for: https://www.google.com/search?q=soot...-F-04qjQc_M%3A

When I installed my header I took cell phone pics of all the major connections (block to header, collector to over pipe) and inspected after 1k miles using the original pic as a comparison.

Additionally if you're still using the stock tune, the VVT tables will not be optimized for the header and it will sound like crap.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:37 PM   #5
rosol16
Not A Member

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
IMO best way to check for leaks is to drive 1k miles, get under the car and look for lots of black soot near all mating connections in the exhaust flow. Leaks can be very subtle such that you can't really tell there's air moving, but over time if there is one eventually you'll see soot buildup.

Here's an example of what to look for: https://www.google.com/search?q=soot...-F-04qjQc_M%3A

When I installed my header I took cell phone pics of all the major connections (block to header, collector to over pipe) and inspected after 1k miles using the original pic as a comparison.

Additionally if you're still using the stock tune, the VVT tables will not be optimized for the header and it will sound like crap.
Yea still running the stock tune it just sounds raspy and only at higher RPMs. OFT coming in soon maybe that will help
rosol16 is offline   Reply With Quote