follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #57
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have so much grip through my tires that it's exposing the innate limitations of the chassis so I'm getting a bit of side to side suspension wiggle in the rear I think in high G corners and squats in depressions. Will try better coilovers first, but apart from that don't know if I need sway bars or strut braces. Also the entire interior now squeaks and rattles and I'm sure all of this can be mitigated with some chassis/suspension bracing
Old 07-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #58
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't know about the rear, the body design looks OK to negate the flex from the sideways loading of the tyres.

The front struts though, whilst very close to the fire wall, still have the typical sideways/cornering loading issues as all macpherson strut front ends, just not as pronounced as others.

The stock V bars help to a point.

I got a whiteline hinged bar as I still wanted some compliance to negate NVH, I put a fixed/solid bar on my MX5 and noticed alot more NVH, my Skyline had a hinged bar, it tightened up the frontend "alot" without undue NVH.

If your "becauseracecar" then NVH isn't going to be factoring in to this equation.

Opinions may vary
Attached Images

Last edited by 86MLR; 07-10-2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Pics of Whiteline bar if anyone is interested
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Tristor (07-10-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #59
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
That mentioned TRD door stabilizer - it works. There were some pics/charts in product description of it. But for it's price - would you buy it?
Personally I would buy whatever has been tested together with the other parts and in case it improves the behavior of the car even slightly. I've installed different performance parts from STI and every time there was a noticeable difference. In some cases the difference was apparent even after the first few days. Will the car go faster with a flexible tower bar? If a driver is professional, then in most cases I believe NO. The WRX STI 24h NBR car is a different case, because there is driver fatigue and even if it contributes to a few better laps it counts. Maybe such parts provide much more confidence to an ordinary driver, but in the end who cares? Our cars are supposed to be more about driver feel and not so much about power or time results. So a part that makes the steering wheel more direct I think that it counts.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #60
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If you look at how forces are applied from a bump or cornering forces they both exert force in the same direction as each other through the upper strut mount. It's not like a bump is changing suspension geometry compared to cornering loads.

A horizontal bar really only prevents the tops of the towers from flexing towards or away from each other, nothing to stop the shock tower from moving vertically.
If you have a horizontal strut bar, and hit a bump on the passenger side of the car, you will feel it on the driver side more than if you didn’t have that bar itself

Last edited by norcalpb; 07-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote