follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge

Off-Topic Lounge For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2020, 01:21 AM   #1135
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,360 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Irace86.2.0 has your hospital been seeing the new(er) symptoms affecting children? Sounds crazy.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:23 AM   #1136
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,360 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
This cutie I had a crush on back in HS who was a year older just posted on Instagram today that she had it and has self-quarantined the past 14 days. She's a nurse at Stanford (IIRC) and she'd requested an antibody test I guess, but rather than finding antibodies she got a positive result, and symptoms began apparently within a day or two of getting those results.

She's super active, runs a lot, works out a lot, etc. But it sounds like she got basically a very strong flu with multiple days of ~100 degree fever among all the other symptoms. Fortunately no hospital visit.

Crazy.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-07-2020), Spuds (05-07-2020), SuperTom (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 01:59 AM   #1137
Sapphireho
Gabriella,24

Drives: '15 JRSC twin, '06 Exige, '77 911s
Thanked 10,078 Times in 5,320 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
My niece's husband had a positive test about a month ago. He is an engineer, late 30's, and they live in Los Gatos. He said it was like a bad cold for 3 days.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 03:04 AM   #1138
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 24,081 Times in 13,204 Posts
Mentioned: 582 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I don't know about you guys but wearing a mask in public has brought up a strange anxiety response I never knew I had. I traced it back to my time in the Army when my gas mask malfunctioned and basically caused me to suffocate while still letting in some of the CS gas.
Well, you almost had me going with your "not wearing a mask" comment a few posts back -

Yes, I wear a mask whenever I'm around other people, besides immediate family.

I recall back in my Army CBR training, wearing a protective mask. Step 1, dawn the mask, step 2, clear the mask. IF the mask won't clear, you got two things (or a combination) that could happen - you suffocate or get a face full of CS. As you know, that would make being waterboarded a child's game.

I recall the first time I went into a non-human primate (monkey) toxicology testing facility. I started in the "dirty room" and progressed into the "clean room" after I put on the appropriate protective wear. I mentioned to the toxicologist that these monkeys must have some pretty bad stuff going on that we have to be protected from them.

The toxicologist replied "you are suited up not because what the monkeys will give you, but what you may give the monkeys". In other words they were protecting their test animals from any outside diseases.

While we are in the lab, did you ever wonder why the technicians that were handling the monkeys wore gauntlets and face shields? Because one bite from a, fresh from the wild, rhesus monkey could give a human SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus) which, back before 1980 few people survived.

Where was I - oh, rambling again - sorry -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-07-2020), Spuds (05-07-2020), weederr33 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #1139
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,279 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, you almost had me going with your "not wearing a mask" comment a few posts back -

Yes, I wear a mask whenever I'm around other people, besides immediate family.

I recall back in my Army CBR training, wearing a protective mask. Step 1, dawn the mask, step 2, clear the mask. IF the mask won't clear, you got two things (or a combination) that could happen - you suffocate or get a face full of CS. As you know, that would make being waterboarded a child's game.

I recall the first time I went into a non-human primate (monkey) toxicology testing facility. I started in the "dirty room" and progressed into the "clean room" after I put on the appropriate protective wear. I mentioned to the toxicologist that these monkeys must have some pretty bad stuff going on that we have to be protected from them.

The toxicologist replied "you are suited up not because what the monkeys will give you, but what you may give the monkeys". In other words they were protecting their test animals from any outside diseases.

While we are in the lab, did you ever wonder why the technicians that were handling the monkeys wore gauntlets and face shields? Because one bite from a, fresh from the wild, rhesus monkey could give a human SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus) which, back before 1980 few people survived.

Where was I - oh, rambling again - sorry -
I figured my comment would trigger a few people haha.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #1140
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,140 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
@Irace86.2.0 has your hospital been seeing the new(er) symptoms affecting children? Sounds crazy.
Our case load has been relatively small, and we havenít seen many positive COVID cases in children.

Some of those new reports are concerning.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #1141
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,480 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
At least for the time being, the US military is turning away Covid-19 survivors from serving. Interesting development.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...-the-military/
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-08-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #1142
KDad2

Drives: 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Another similarity... My dad retired from a place like that. I got to check it out once. They were more concerned about the rats and primates than us. Had to pass a TB test too before going in.
KDad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KDad2 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #1143
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 4,363 Times in 2,346 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
At least for the time being, the US military is turning away Covid-19 survivors from serving. Interesting development.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...-the-military/
ok, now that i don't understand. i haven't read anything that even implies that a recovered covid patient is any more or less susceptible to any other disease than anything else.

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-07-2020), weederr33 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:38 PM   #1144
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 24,081 Times in 13,204 Posts
Mentioned: 582 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
ok, now that i don't understand. i haven't read anything that even implies that a recovered covid patient is any more or less susceptible to any other disease than anything else.
I believe that that has been revised to deny only people that have been hospitalized for COVID-19.

That would make a bit more sense.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:55 PM   #1145
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Quote:
I believe that that has been revised to deny only people that have been hospitalized for COVID-19.

Yeah a couple of articles I saw from various sources had the Pentagon saying it was precautionary until they can figure out what is going on longer-term.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:01 PM   #1146
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Quote:

but how does that make sense? if they've fully recovered, regardless of being hospitalized or through their own methods, what disadvantage does that put them at militarily speaking?

i just don't see the tactical edge benefit from either side of this. if people haven't contracted it, it's still possible they will contract it in the future. and of the people that have contracted it and recovered, my understanding is that the virus has evolved enough that they still stand a chance to contract the new strain in the future as well, but now have a built-up immunity for the previous iteration of the virus...

i was trying to read the article to see what their reasoning was, but it doesn't really say what disadvantage this poses for the military that makes such a restriction needed.

hidplanet build log
Old 05-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #1147
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

what really concerns me is that the military is appearing to be making a ruling on data we're either not privy to, or is making an overarching ruling out of fear.

the first doesn't bode well for future recovery efforts, the second doesn't bode well for the state of our military--if the bastards that can put up with basic training and hellish war conditions are running scared, maybe even the media outcry isn't enough...

hidplanet build log
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-08-2020), Spuds (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:28 PM   #1148
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
but how does that make sense? if they've fully recovered, regardless of being hospitalized or through their own methods, what disadvantage does that put them at militarily speaking?

i just don't see the tactical edge benefit from either side of this. if people haven't contracted it, it's still possible they will contract it in the future. and of the people that have contracted it and recovered, my understanding is that the virus has evolved enough that they still stand a chance to contract the new strain in the future as well, but now have a built-up immunity for the previous iteration of the virus...

i was trying to read the article to see what their reasoning was, but it doesn't really say what disadvantage this poses for the military that makes such a restriction needed.
It's the military. They aren't going to give their reason even if they gave their reason.

They aren't desperate for people right now by my understanding, so they can pick who they want. Why take a risk on an unknown when you don't need to?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-08-2020), soundman98 (05-08-2020)