follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #1079
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by used2likeit View Post
Do you work for Toyota or something?
No. Need I point out that I have repeatedly stated who the Canadians should go to and at least consult with and that agency is NOT Transport Canada. As yet nobody has come forward and said if the proper agency has helped or at least advised them.

I just want to understand what people think will happen by going to CT. There is d1ick all they can or will do to help people who's engine failed after recall work.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #1080
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsd2 View Post
Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice from people who have better knowledge of the Boxer Engines. After the recall, only 80km, my engine overheated and stalled on the highway. It included as most people mentioned the knocking sounds, loss of power and extreme temperatures.

Toyota Thailand now has the car for the past 2 weeks and have promised to fix everything and cover all expenses, but they are being so secretive about everything. It could be a language barrier issue or that they do not want to admit to their mistakes.

They have however mentioned that the water pipes to the engine were incorrectly installed, and that they have changed the Head Gasket. Now to me that sounds more serious then they are making it out to be, especially since all the other stories i have read.

They have promised me information, pictures and reports but i have yet to see anything. They also promised a 10,000 km 1 year warranty on the repairs.

I know this can be very damaging to the engine, and will not accept a warranty on just the valve springs, it needs to be an engine wide warranty.

My question: Is there anything else i should be careful about or check before accepting the car back from the dealer? Any advice would be very appreciated.

PS: We pay 300% tax on cars in Thailand, this is quite an expensive car here so i dont want to mess around.

I had a similar experience with my Brz overheating after the recall and needing head gaskets blown, been weary of car since I got her back ಠ_ಠ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #1081
used2likeit

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 6MT, Daily Driver
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
No. Need I point out that I have repeatedly stated who the Canadians should go to and at least consult with and that agency is NOT Transport Canada. As yet nobody has come forward and said if the proper agency has helped or at least advised them.

I just want to understand what people think will happen by going to CT. There is d1ick all they can or will do to help people who's engine failed after recall work.

CAMVAP? As I've recently stated I called them and had a conversation. They said that despite all circumstances the 2013 model year is not eligible for their program. They suggested other approaches, including another consumer reporter/journalist and small claims court.
used2likeit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to used2likeit For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #1082
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
I had a similar experience with my Brz overheating after the recall and needing head gaskets blown, been weary of car since I got her back ಠ_ಠ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leery. You have been leery of the car. Although I suppose being constantly leery could make you weary.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #1083
Tcoat

Quote:
CAMVAP? As I've recently stated I called them and had a conversation. They said that despite all circumstances the 2013 model year is not eligible for their program. They suggested other approaches, including another consumer reporter/journalist and small claims court.
Ahhh too many threads on the same subject to keep up. Thanks for the update at least we know for sure now. Doesn't change the fact that complaining to TC will not help anybody. All they will do is tell Toyota there is an issue they will not get anybody's car fixed. It sucks but that is the reality of the situation.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #1084
used2likeit

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 6MT, Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ahhh too many threads on the same subject to keep up. Thanks for the update at least we know for sure now. Doesn't change the fact that complaining to TC will not help anybody. All they will do is tell Toyota there is an issue they will not get anybody's car fixed. It sucks but that is the reality of the situation.

It's worth to try and get nothing, than not to try at all. At least there's a chance something will come of TC poking at the issue. If Toyota is forced to admit a problem, then they'd be more likely to compensate the affected owners.
used2likeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #1085
Tcoat

Quote:
It's worth to try and get nothing, than not to try at all. At least there's a chance something will come of TC poking at the issue. If Toyota is forced to admit a problem, then they'd be more likely to compensate the affected owners.
That is just it. They already know there was a problem. As long as they can point the finger at the dealers they will not touch it as a corporation. It is the dealers that screwed up the fix not Toyota so that is who any legal action should be against. Toyota can simply say they provided instructions and if those were not followed they can wash their hands and walk away.
TC is very specific that they will only identify safety issues to the manufacturers and will not get involved in any other item.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #1086
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So I don't have the failure thankfully, but I know some people are skeptical of bringing it in for recall.

I'm about 5,000 miles after done my recall and also flashed to OFT Basetune for stock. Will be dropping my oil pan soon to install a turbo. I can take pictures of my screen filter if anyone is interested.
humfrz (08-13-2019), Ultramaroon (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #1087
Alfrz91

Drives: 13 Scion Frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
So I don't have the failure thankfully, but I know some people are skeptical of bringing it in for recall.

I'm about 5,000 miles after done my recall and also flashed to OFT Basetune for stock. Will be dropping my oil pan soon to install a turbo. I can take pictures of my screen filter if anyone is interested.
Don't think anyone is going to reject that information.
Alfrz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfrz91 For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #1088
Alfrz91

Drives: 13 Scion Frs
When people are saying their cars were repaired under warranty, I'm assuming they mean the recall's warranty right? This isn't due to a separate warranty they purchased right?
Alfrz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #1089
marco1ca

Drives: Toyota Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post

Wondering if you ever had your oil tested, or, is it that dropping the oil pan is a better test?
marco1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #1090
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrz91 View Post
When people are saying their cars were repaired under warranty, I'm assuming they mean the recall's warranty right? This isn't due to a separate warranty they purchased right?
Most likely yes. At least in the US the repair comes with a 12 month, limited mile warranty. If the repair caused damage to the engine it should be covered, key word being "should be" and whether there is admission the repair caused the issue.

If you are still under your drivetrain warranty it might make the repair decision easier.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #1091
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1ca View Post
Wondering if you ever had your oil tested, or, is it that dropping the oil pan is a better test?

Pretty much as soon as I got my notice in the mail I scheduled a service appointment. My local dealership said he had his "top toyota tech" working on my car and they were only doing one car a week, only took 3 days and it was hell for me driving that camry with eco-mode. Everything seemed fine to me when I got it back so I didn't really have a reason to have my oil tested. Then I saw articles and posts about failure rates and I was a bit concerned. Thankfully nothing has happened so far.

The oil is still there in my car, just waiting for my new clutch break-in before I install the turbo, new oil and pan to check the screen filter to see if there is that gunk or sludge like in the picture.
marco1ca (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #1092
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1ca View Post
I am skeptical about how useful an oil analysis would be in predicting failure post recall. The cause of post recall failures seems to be excess sealant getting sucked up into oil passages and/or blocking the oil pickup tube. Sealant that is stuck on the pickup, in passages or in the oil filter is unlikely to make it into the small drained oil sample that is sent in for a UOA. Oil passages that suddenly clog when a chunk of sealant ends up in the wrong place would cause a rather sudden engine failure due to oil starvation... you wouldn't likely see a slow progression of excess metals in the sample that you could do anything about before engine failure occurs. There are reports online (for other engines/vehicles not related to the twins) in which people sent in oil samples from engines that had ALREADY FAILED and the report came back indicating that the engine seems to be healthy.
So if the intent is to see if excess sealant was used in the repair and might soon cause engine failure, I believe that a visual inspection of the oil pickup and any passages that you might be able to see would be more useful. This method of course would be more laborious than sending in the used oil sample.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-13-2019), marco1ca (08-13-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue