follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
frsinpa

Drives: fr-s!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just put a deposit on my FR-S - how long for it to arrive?

Hey guys,

I've been following this forum for a quite a while, but this is my first time posting here. Anyways, I have been researching this car on the internet for several years. This is a great site that is not only informational, but it's also incredibly fun to browse through all of the different discussions.

Well, yesterday I finally got the opportunity to test one out in the wild! It was a great experience... reminded me of my old 1992 Celica GT only with way more power and way better looks! In fact, it was so good actually that I decided to buy one right on the spot.

Unfortunately, the dealership did not have any Ravens in stock, so my sales guy said he would contact another dealership and obtain one.

My question: how long does this process take typically? He gave me a fairly large range (could be a couple days, couple weeks, a month, etc)... so I figured I would just gather some feedback around here. Does anyone have experience with ordering a car through a dealership? If so, what is the typical turnaround?

It's such a great car... I'm having a very difficult time focusing in the interum, haha. Can't wait to take this baby out on the open road and let her rip.
frsinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
clevrname

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
All depends really. We are sold out here in Virginia. I know our Scion rep only had 8 FRS to give to our region this allocation. If your dealer still has one in stock, and another dealer has what you want in stock, it just all is based on if the other dealer is willing to give theirs up. Most DXs generally take a day or two. Hopefully you will not have to wait too long!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
frsinpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevrname View Post
All depends really. We are sold out here in Virginia. I know our Scion rep only had 8 FRS to give to our region this allocation. If your dealer still has one in stock, and another dealer has what you want in stock, it just all is based on if the other dealer is willing to give theirs up. Most DXs generally take a day or two. Hopefully you will not have to wait too long!
Awesome, ok - I know he mentioned Thursday as a potential date, so that seems reasonable.

Just as an aside: I really liked the Red (way more than I thought I would) so it was a tough choice, but I have always wanted the FR-S in black so I decided to go down that route. Both excellent color choices though.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
DieDriving
I aint no snitch

Drives: 330i, C300, "00 lude, "94 Accord
These cars selling like hot cakes....I called my local dealers yesterday but they are all gone...several dealers don't even know when their next inventory will be....Corona Scion has 2 coming end of next week and 1 of the 2 (raven auto) is actually available....I passed on it because I want a manual with brighter colors...sale rep said it could be months and they have more auto coming in than manual....
DieDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Depending on allocation, at least here in NEO, I have heard 60-90 days tops.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
frsinpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Depending on allocation, at least here in NEO, I have heard 60-90 days tops.
Ah, well I'm pretty close to you (Pittsburgh), but I sure hope it's a shorter wait than that. Mainly because I can't wait to trade in my Camry and get the new ride!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsinpa View Post
Ah, well I'm pretty close to you (Pittsburgh), but I sure hope it's a shorter wait than that. Mainly because I can't wait to trade in my Camry and get the new ride!
I think that number depends on how insistent your salesperson is, as well as how many are slated for your region. If I remember correctly, you are in the same region as New York, which got the car slightly earlier than the region I am in, which means they may be more readily available. Btw, I am looking for a Raven 6MT as well, so feel free to be nice and tell your dealership that I called it first and have them send it up here.

Also, one other thing...Go Browns!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
clevrname

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I'm in CAT and like I said our Scion rep told us to just start taking orders.

I placed an order for a Whiteout Auto FR-S last month and still haven't heard anything on it. Was hoping to see it this allocation being we were #2 in Scion Sales for the Region, but still nothing. She promised me if she had one then I would get it, so I guess she didn't have one. I also placed an order for an Argento Automatic yesterday. Let the waiting list begin!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
viper_driver

Drives: 2013 BRZ ordered!
There are 2 Ravens unsold at my local dealership. Quickest way is to fly out to Vegas and drive it home!

I'm 99% sure now that Scion dealers can't 'order' cars. They take your deposit, then just get what they get and hopefully at some point the car you're looking for magically shows up in their normal allocation. If another Scion dealer gets one, they could dealer transfer it, but I'm not sure how that works now when demand is so high.

Good luck!
viper_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_driver View Post
There are 2 Ravens unsold at my local dealership. Quickest way is to fly out to Vegas and drive it home!

I'm 99% sure now that Scion dealers can't 'order' cars. They take your deposit, then just get what they get and hopefully at some point the car you're looking for magically shows up in their normal allocation. If another Scion dealer gets one, they could dealer transfer it, but I'm not sure how that works now when demand is so high.

Good luck!
Careful, don't tempt me, my sister lives in Vegas and her fiance' knows how to drive stick, though I'm not sure if I want someone else getting the first 2k miles in my car. Just because I am a curious guy, though, are they MT or AT?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
frsinpa

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll keep you posted and I will definitely post some pictures when she arrives.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
DantKR

Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Like others have said it depends. This allocation seems that the triangle area in NC got 0
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Careful, don't tempt me, my sister lives in Vegas and her fiance' knows how to drive stick, though I'm not sure if I want someone else getting the first 2k miles in my car. Just because I am a curious guy, though, are they MT or AT?
Buy it from vegas and have it shipped to your house!

But you know why these two Ravens are unsold in Vegas? Because they probably have $5k markups on them..
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
viper_driver

Drives: 2013 BRZ ordered!
Quote:
As of last weekend, the local dealer had 5 unclaimed FR-S, all 5 were MT. They were 2x red, 2x black, 1x orange. It's Centennial Toyota. All of them were listed at MSRP plus $250 window tint, no crazy markups.

Nope, tripjammer, zero markups. I don't really understand why they have these cars. There are 3 other dealers in Vegas and none of them had a single car left 2 days after the first shipment arrived. I guess just because this dealer is out on the edge of town.
viper_driver is offline   Reply With Quote