follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2022, 12:45 AM   #1485
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When are the meetups

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #1486
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
When are the meetups
Usually first Thursday of every month. Address: 1253 E Trinity Mills Rd, Carrollton, TX 75006
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:45 AM   #1487
NARFALICIOUS

Anyone with tints, do you notice a difference in DFW heat? Like mild tints and using a sunshade?

I have a "custom fit" sunshade from Amazon which actually fits pretty nicely. And I've had a few different sunshades in the past, plus in the past I've used one of those net-looking shades for the rear.
But I decided to finally get tints done. I'm getting 30% doors and 30% rear triangles, and 20% rear, TW 2-Ply Ceramic infrared.

I'm hoping this tint plus better sunshade will help a ton.
After they finish the tints, I'm planning to run a screen in the rear when on road trips and also contemplating finding a way to block off the driver's side triangle since I never use it to look out of.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:39 PM   #1488
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Anyone with tints, do you notice a difference in DFW heat? Like mild tints and using a sunshade?

I have a "custom fit" sunshade from Amazon which actually fits pretty nicely. And I've had a few different sunshades in the past, plus in the past I've used one of those net-looking shades for the rear.
But I decided to finally get tints done. I'm getting 30% doors and 30% rear triangles, and 20% rear, TW 2-Ply Ceramic infrared.

I'm hoping this tint plus better sunshade will help a ton.
After they finish the tints, I'm planning to run a screen in the rear when on road trips and also contemplating finding a way to block off the driver's side triangle since I never use it to look out of.
It's not DFW, but the RGV is close if not worse. I have 3M Crystalline on both the BRZ and my F150. It's been on both for at least 6 years and I am still impressed every time I get in either after it's spent any time in the sun.

My tint is pretty light, 40% I think. In both vehicles the difference between the amount of UV and IR is noticeable. Interior panels in direct sunlight with the windows down get scorchingly hot. With the windows up, they are comfortable to touch. With the drivers' window partially down the part of my arm exposed to direct sun can get uncomfortably hot and will sunburn quickly. The part in the shade of the tint is in shade, period. It's expensive, but I would NOT have a car down here without it.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 06-17-2022 at 11:27 PM.
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:25 PM   #1489
NARFALICIOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
It's not DFW, but the RGV is close if not worse. I have 3M Crystalline on both the BRZ and my F150. It's been on both for at least 6 years and I am still impressed every time I get in either after it's spent any time in the sun.

My tint is pretty light, 40% I think. In both vehicles the difference between the amount of UV and IR is noticeable. Interior panels in direct sunlight with the windows down get scorchingly hot. With the windows up, they are comfortable to touch. With the drivers' window partially down the part of my arm exposed to direct sun can get uncomfortably hot and will sunburn quickly. The part in the shade of the tint is in shade, period. It's expensive, but I would NOT have a car down here without it.
Thanks for the reply and PM.

I ended up getting the tint done.
Funnily, I scheduled the appointment about a week or so prior to this heat wave starting.
I definitely notice a difference. As long as I have my shade up as well, then it's not scorching to sit on the seats or touch the steering wheel or the shift knob.
Still hot/sweaty though in the car if I turn it off and go inside a store for 15+ minutes, but that seems pretty unavoidable due to being 100 and humid outside.

What I'm waiting to test if it ever cools off, is how the car will feel in 75-90 weather, like if I've been running the a/c on the highway, then pull into a store, and park for 15+ minutes with the shade up. Hoping it would still be somewhat cool inside if it's in the 80s outside.