follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Carlysh

Drives: 2007 Mazda 3, New Raven FR-S 6mt
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
HI Guys just need a little help before buying the car

Hi Guys hope your are doing well in your Fr-s I just need help from you Guys to not worry about the issues I am getting the Car hopefull at the end of the month i have some question sorry I am new in the Forum bear with me maybe these

1) I have read some thread about the cricket sound i know some dont have some have if it after 300 the problem is as soon i get the i drive to miami 2:30 drive 200+ plus mile yeah i will drive it lol and the wife will drive it
it is a easy fix i read that the warranty fix it wich a better fuel pump but i plan to tune it because i want a track car on weekend but that my wife can drive it to miami for her master degree

2) i saw the the injector leaks that have a poping sound like 1000+ plus miles
should i be concern about this issues when buying the car does toyota will fix it? i know if i mod the car the warraty can be denied but the mods i plan first are tires/suspension and tune since i read the tune helps a lot

Oh one more hing a good price on the car

Thanks a lot Guys for your time and pacience helping me
Carlysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I haven't heard much about injector leaks..
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
A. Get a browser with spell check built in (Firefox or Chrome are popular right now)

B. There is no "fix" for the chirping, you can get the pump swapped and it will be quiet for awhile but it usually comes back. It's intermittent and doesn't bother most people, at this point I personally doubt there will ever be a "fix", it has no negative impact on the vehicle, it's just annoying to some.

C. Currently the "cause" is determined to be shifting at or near redline quickly and aggressively causing knock. The pre-emptive fix is probably going to be reflash the ECU whenever they release an official service bulletin. This could change but shouldn't be a problem at all if you take it easy, your mods should not impact the warranty service of this issue. If you plan on tracking or "racing" heavily you may want to wait until this issue has gotten a better resolution.

For reference: injector leak thread, there's at least two or three others but this is the most focused
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36129

D. Go to Scion's website, build the car you want, print it out, that's the price you should pay. If a dealer won't get you that car then find another dealer, some people in California ended up buying the car in Colorado (or even further, the North East reportedly has a bunch rusting on the lots) due to poor dealer cooperation.

Last edited by strat61caster; 06-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
GeorgeJFrick

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlysh View Post
Hi Guys hope your are doing well in your Fr-s I just need help from you Guys to not worry about the issues I am getting the Car hopefull at the end of the month i have some question sorry I am new in the Forum bear with me maybe these

1) I have read some thread about the cricket sound i know some dont have some have if it after 300 the problem is as soon i get the i drive to miami 2:30 drive 200+ plus mile yeah i will drive it lol and the wife will drive it
it is a easy fix i read that the warranty fix it wich a better fuel pump but i plan to tune it because i want a track car on weekend but that my wife can drive it to miami for her master degree

2) i saw the the injector leaks that have a poping sound like 1000+ plus miles
should i be concern about this issues when buying the car does toyota will fix it? i know if i mod the car the warraty can be denied but the mods i plan first are tires/suspension and tune since i read the tune helps a lot

Oh one more hing a good price on the car

Thanks a lot Guys for your time and pacience helping me
Hi Guys. I hope your are doing well in your FR-S. I need help from you guys to quell my worries about some issues. I will hopefully be getting the car at the end of the month. I have some questions. Sorry I am new to the forum so bear with me.

1) I have read some threads about the cricket sound. I will be driving the car a lot early on, and I'm worried I'll miss the warranty repair because I plan to tune the car? I plan to share the car with my wife. I will track it and she will drive to school.

2) I read that the injectors can leak with a popping sound at 1000+ plus miles.
Should I be concerned about this issue when buying the car, or will it be covered under warranty? I know if I mod the car the warraty can be denied. So, the mods I plan first are tires, suspension, and tune.

Before I go; please tell me what to search for to find the 'good price' thread.

Thank you for your time,

Don't do anything to the car for a while. If you have a problem, have it repaired under warranty. No matter what you do to the car keep paperwork and a log of what you did.

There are plenty of other threads around that you could explore; where people explain their warranty issues.

I take delivery of my BRZ on the 1st; the chirping/etc does not worry me if that helps you feel better.
GeorgeJFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgeJFrick For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-13-2013), strat61caster (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Carlysh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
A. Get a browser with spell check built in (Firefox or Chrome are popular right now)

B. There is no "fix" for the chirping, you can get the pump swapped and it will be quiet for awhile but it usually comes back. It's intermittent and doesn't bother most people, at this point I personally doubt there will ever be a "fix", it has no negative impact on the vehicle, it's just annoying to some.

C. Currently the "cause" is determined to be shifting at or near redline quickly and aggressively causing knock. The pre-emptive fix is probably going to be reflash the ECU whenever they release an official service bulletin. This could change but shouldn't be a problem at all if you take it easy, your mods should not impact the warranty service of this issue. If you plan on tracking or "racing" heavily you may want to wait until this issue has gotten a better resolution.

For reference: injector leak thread, there's at least two or three others but this is the most focused

D. Go to Scion's website, build the car you want, print it out, that's the price you should pay. If a dealer won't get you that car then find another dealer, some people in California ended up buying the car in Colorado (or even further, the North East reportedly has a bunch rusting on the lots) due to poor dealer cooperation.
Sorry for my spelling
Thanks a lot so i will check prices out of florida and have them delivery to me sounds good idea for a good price i check it out

the issues I am making sure is good i plan on track racing but not very heavy maybe once every 2 month (not sure if that is heavy).

So i stick with the tires/suspension/ tune and maybe the trd intake will help for the warranty

thanks a lot
Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Carlysh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
Hi Guys. I hope your are doing well in your FR-S. I need help from you guys to quell my worries about some issues. I will hopefully be getting the car at the end of the month. I have some questions. Sorry I am new to the forum so bear with me.

1) I have read some threads about the cricket sound. I will be driving the car a lot early on, and I'm worried I'll miss the warranty repair because I plan to tune the car? I plan to share the car with my wife. I will track it and she will drive to school.

2) I read that the injectors can leak with a popping sound at 1000+ plus miles.
Should I be concerned about this issue when buying the car, or will it be covered under warranty? I know if I mod the car the warraty can be denied. So, the mods I plan first are tires, suspension, and tune.

Before I go; please tell me what to search for to find the 'good price' thread.

Thank you for your time,

Don't do anything to the car for a while. If you have a problem, have it repaired under warranty. No matter what you do to the car keep paperwork and a log of what you did.

There are plenty of other threads around that you could explore; where people explain their warranty issues.

I take delivery of my BRZ on the 1st; the chirping/etc does not worry me if that helps you feel better.
Thanks for fixing my spelling thanks for your time i dont mind much the sound chirping if it doesnt hurt the engine and lose power i am good
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
supra2nv

Drives: 10 Series TRD
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
lol
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
At 20K i don't even noticed the chirping and not a single person has pointed it out. Not even my friends who point out random cars needing carb tunings...

Go buy it, you'll be the only one on your block with a car that sounds like an insect.
xanth123 (06-16-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
My car was built March 2013 and no chirping. That is not to say that it wont surface, but so far so good.

Those injector issues seemed to be very isolated and very few when you consider how many of these cars are out there on the road.

Not saying Scion/Subaru should not be held accountable, but any car has issues. It sucks for the people that have the issues, but there is not a perfect car out there and you can do much worse than a Subaru or Toyota.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Hello Carlysh and welcome to FR-S ownership!

My car has only 1300 miles on it, but I haven't heard any "chirping" or seen any evidence of injector leaks.

I understand that most of them are pretty good, right out of the box.

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 06-14-2013 at 12:16 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Car is awesome. Just buy it. You have been helped.
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BadMoon For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-16-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
GNS

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Crickets are good luck in some parts of the world.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GNS For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-16-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
have not heard injectors problems.. i do have crickets but now its off and on. dont really care about the cricket due to i listen to music and getting exhaust soon

remember you can always get it service. its part of the warranty but going to dealer is bit scary due to they might ding your car or something might happen.. like joyrides/dents/dings ect.. trust a good dealer
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marky For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (06-16-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #14
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
pretty much what @strat61caster said.

to add, for mine car built on 2/13 crickets stated after I filled up gas from a random station and stayed even after I refilled at my usual station. it seems that most people, but not all, don't have crickets if use gas without ethanol. it's unavailable in NJ tho, so I'm out of luck. there is also a new revision of fuel pump which is ~supposedly~ fixes the issue but it really has not been confirmed yet. some of the recently installed pumps do have crickets back, but those could be old stock of fuel pumps rather than the new ones. as it stands at this point - there is no (confirmed) fix yet. this could be annoying when you stop at the red light and your new car sounds like 20yo pos with loose belts. i personally try not to use clutch and just drive on the second gear when parking at train station garage

the blown injectors issue started happening fairly recently primarily with people who track their cars and/or have tunes. some people think that it's because of poor custom tunes but most seem to believe that people that have tunes just drive their cars hard shifting at or over 5k rpm which causes detonation. their is not enough data/research right now as i believe i have seen posts from people who said they didn't drive their cars hard and still have blown injectors. there are lots of cars though with tunes and FI kits who have not had this issue. nevertheless it is a concern for long term reliability and i'm curious to see what happens within next year or two. meanwhile i am staying completely stock although I prepared to shell money for header-back exhaust and FI.
here are some threads on the issue:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=993067
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36008
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37528
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38397
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37810

read and make your own decision. the car though really come alive only after 3k rpm and begs to be revved.

officially, you can still drive it as maniac and track it just don't do timed sessions and don't mod your car or your warranty could be denied (some folks reported that dealers have given them hard time even for simple bolt-ons like intake and cat-backs). otherwise, if anything happens, the blown injectors will be fixed under warranty.

another thing, the manual tranny is finicky - the suggestions are to install shifter bushing and tranny bushing and change tranny and diff fluids to something better. for various rattling issues there are TSBs and DIYs. for my taste, the steering is bit delayed/unwilling/numb, planning to address this with aluminum steering rack bushings.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injectors, issues, leak, price