follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2022, 03:46 AM   #1
Marbo BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What exhaust set up for Supecharged BRZ

I am not satisfied with sound of my current exhaust set up (Xforce UEL cattless header incl. 2,5" overpipe, 3" front pipe with 300CELL cat, 3" Xforce Varex Catback with flap). The sound is too loud and raspy. The sound was very nice with stock front pipe.

My plan is to keep cattless UEL header (later buy Tomei UEL+overpipe)-fujitsubo double resonated 2,4" front pipe-2,5" Perrin resonated catback. I like boxer rumble, no rasp, medium sound level.

What front pipe and catback can you recommed me?

I like JDL Ultra Quite front pipe (catted+resonated), but Fensport.Uk told me, a cat will melt during my track days. So, I started to think about Fujitsubo double resonated front pipe. Corsa, Invidia Q300, R400 catback sounds good to. Any next tips with good sound? Thank you.

BRZ with HKS V2 Supercharger, 290Hp.
Marbo BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:46 AM   #2
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I always recommend either HKS or Greddy, Fujitsubo, Perrin, CSG, ARK (if you really want to sound fancy).

I hardly believe that any other exhaust components will melt under track days. The biggest source of heat comes from the headers and OP. If you have a shitty set of headers I could see that. If you're getting TOMEI, make sure to wrap them in that case.

JDL makes excellent quality parts so their OP-FP combo should be great. Might as well get their catback while you're at it.

The biggest sound restriction will be your FP, after the headers. Double resonated, or HFC (High-Flow-Cat) is things you need to look for. After deciding on what catback to pair it up with, get yourself a nice set of JDM exhaust hangers, they reduce the amount of drone significantly.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm basically ruining the setup you said you're gonna buy. Tomei uel and OP, invidia catted FP/ or just a track pipe(no cats), them a resonated Perrin 2.5 cat back. With the cat in the front pipe I find myself leaving my back seat down for as little extra volume but otherwise I really can't say anything bad about the setup. Barks nicely under load but cruises just above road noise level
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #4
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Edelbrock SC btw
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:53 PM   #5
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Just as an additional data point, JDL will make you an ultra quiet FP with a Gesi cat as an upgrade if you ask for it.

They make them to order so I am sure if you really want to stay catted but are worried about melting it, they could swap the position of the resonator and cat on the pipe to to add a little extra insurance.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i have ace headers, jdl ultra quiet fp, and an hks 3" single exit with the big muffler. it is loud WOT and rattles my back window at lights :\
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:23 AM   #7
Marbo BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I always recommend either HKS or Greddy, Fujitsubo, Perrin, CSG, ARK (if you really want to sound fancy).

I hardly believe that any other exhaust components will melt under track days. The biggest source of heat comes from the headers and OP. If you have a shitty set of headers I could see that. If you're getting TOMEI, make sure to wrap them in that case.

JDL makes excellent quality parts so their OP-FP combo should be great. Might as well get their catback while you're at it.

The biggest sound restriction will be your FP, after the headers. Double resonated, or HFC (High-Flow-Cat) is things you need to look for. After deciding on what catback to pair it up with, get yourself a nice set of JDM exhaust hangers, they reduce the amount of drone significantly.
I know that JDL catted headers melted, this happened to the previous owners of my car. Somebody has a problem with the OEM secondary cat after a few months with his HKS supercharger.

I wish, aftermarket cat was ok, but there are some issues.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:30 AM   #8
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you like your present setup with the stock front pipe, try just a JDL UQ FP. Changing from my stock front pipe to JDL UQ I didn't hear a difference at all.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #9
Marbo BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
If you like your present setup with the stock front pipe, try just a JDL UQ FP. Changing from my stock front pipe to JDL UQ I didn't hear a difference at all.
thank you for the tip. btw, what is your exhaust set up?
Old 07-26-2022, 09:23 AM   #10
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,124 Posts
CSG touring is the easy answer as they designed it around people using it with catless setups.
Perrin is pretty good too, I've driven a friends setup with a Perrin 3", stock front pipe and two different UEL headers and it doesn't drone. Reasonably loud but livable.

I tried a greddy SP with catless UEL headers and stock front pipe. While it was quiet, it droned quite badly.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:31 AM   #11
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Perrin is pretty good too, I've driven a friends setup with a Perrin 3", stock front pipe and two different UEL headers and it doesn't drone. Reasonably loud but livable.
I had the opposite experience. All stock with the 3" perrin it was nice and tame but sounded good. Added catless header with stock FP and it was obnoxious and droney, I went to the stock CB the next day.

My car is actually quieter now with header, resonated FP/OP with high flow cat, stock midpipe, nameless ultra quiet track pipe.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #12
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I had the opposite experience. All stock with the 3" perrin it was nice and tame but sounded good. Added catless header with stock FP and it was obnoxious and droney, I went to the stock CB the next day.

My car is actually quieter now with header, resonated FP/OP with high flow cat, stock midpipe, nameless ultra quiet track pipe.
What header did you use?

That's surprising, I'm sensitive to drone and hear zero drone with his setup and he has a rear seat delete on-top.
Gruppe-s headers and MXP UEL is what I have experience with.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:21 PM   #13
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
What header did you use?

That's surprising, I'm sensitive to drone and hear zero drone with his setup and he has a rear seat delete on-top.
Gruppe-s headers and MXP UEL is what I have experience with.

It was the nameless header.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:54 PM   #14
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbo BRZ View Post
thank you for the tip. btw, what is your exhaust set up?
ACE CS 400, JDL UQ FP, CSG Touring cat back. Do recommend, but it's a pricey setup and if you're happy with yours just with the stock front pipe instead, I'd say start there and see how you like it.

Note though that I only have experience with this and various iterations of this setup and stock components. Well, and a CSG touring muffler that was manufactured without any muffler packing that sounded like absolute ass. But long story short, I haven't compared my setup to any others.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote