follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Cobaltbloo

Drives: 2016 scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
horn when opening and closing doors

I have a 2016 scion FR-S ..is there a way to turn off the horn when I press the button on my key to open the doors?...Also I was cleaning my car the other day and had both doors open and the car would started a set of fast beeps..why would it do this..its annoying and embarrassing. Anyone else have this problem?
Cobaltbloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Worst case, the dealer should be able to adjust it for you however you wish: horn beeps, chirp beeps, no beeps of any kind, one press unlcoks all doors, two presses to unlock both doors, two presses to unlock trunk, etc.

My car doesn't beep the horn, I have that high pitched electronic beep instead.

Can you explain more about what happened while you were cleaning the car? When did the beeping happen? Was it like the panic mode beeping? Usually the car is designed to lock your doors back up if you unlock them but don't open one within a minute (another thing that can be adjusted I think from 10 seconds to 2 minutes). But unless you're trying to lock the doors when both or either of them/the trunk are open, it usually yells at you in some way (long beep for me, maybe something like 3 short beeps for a horn) to tell you that something is open.

Without more details I can only guess that you may have an electrical issue, be it an electrical short, loose/intermittent connection, or something being affected by moisture when it rains or when you're cleaning the car.

You can also try to DIY the remote/horn settings with a copy of the Techstream software and cable, but I do not recommend it. It shouldn't take the dealer long to reprogram things for you. I do not think there is a manual way for you to do it using your keys, but if there is, someone on here will chime in.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I get the standard toyota electronic beep when I unlock the car, not an actual horn beep. It's very soft.

Were your keys in the ignition (not on) when you had your doors open? If so, the beep is normal and is very common amongst all different car makers and models.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Do you have an alarm system installed? I have not seen nor heard of any FRS that sounds the horn under any conditions. As said there is just the little electronic beep.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Do you have an alarm system installed? I have not seen nor heard of any FRS that sounds the horn under any conditions. As said there is just the little electronic beep.
If its turned up loud enough it sounds like a horn. The dealer can set the volume from "Level 0 to 7". Mine was originally 7 which was louder than the horn when pressed, and I had it reset to "0" (silent).

I will once again complain that it is stupid these days that I have to go to the dealer to get something so basic set to my preference.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (04-24-2018), Tcoat (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
If its turned up loud enough it sounds like a horn. The dealer can set the volume from "Level 0 to 7". Mine was originally 7 which was louder than the horn when pressed, and I had it reset to "0" (silent).

I will once again complain that it is stupid these days that I have to go to the dealer to get something so basic set to my preference.
Ya mine is just a nice quiet beep so must be a low setting.
The wife's Impreza can have all the settings adjusted right through the HU so I am also baffled why they insist on the dealer doing it on these. There are a couple of apps you can get that can make many adjustments but I have never needed to adjust anything so didn't pay much attention to what they are.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The wife's Impreza can have all the settings adjusted right through the HU so I am also baffled why they insist on the dealer doing it on these. There are a couple of apps you can get that can make many adjustments but I have never needed to adjust anything so didn't pay much attention to what they are.
My '04 Suburban has probably 2 dozen settings for two separate drivers that can be set using the steering wheel controls and the info display on the dash. It resets everything based on the key fob. I'm sure that was an expensive option at the time, but should not be "hidden" any longer. At least my dealer was willing to adjust them for free while it was under warranty.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 04-24-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-23-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Cobaltbloo

Drives: 2016 scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am not the original owner of the car and it was not mentioned to me when I bought it that there was an alarm. So I'm not sure if it is the standard FR-S sounds or not. And no when I was cleaning my car my keys were not in the ignition.. and yes it did sound like the panic setting..also one day I grabbed the spare key to my car by accident and when I used that key to open the door the alarm went off and I could not start the car..so I guess if something happens to my electronic key i will not be able to drive the car. So I guess I do have an alarm system installed..
Cobaltbloo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobaltbloo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-24-2018), Tcoat (04-24-2018)