follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
7m28
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2013 hot lava scion frs
Location: san gabriel valley, ca
Posts: 25
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery Brace touched Positive Battery terminal, car won't start!!

Ok guy, I screwed up big time.

or maybe it's bad luck.

Long story short, I replaced my battery on my '13 FRS and took it to work, which has a ride time of approx. 55mins to and back. Somewhere along the way, the vibrations of the car loosened the battery brace and it made contact with the positive battery terminal. On the way home, the warning lights on my car all lit up and the car died. I opened the hood and saw the brace touching the terminal, leaving a black burned mark clearly on the edge of the terminal. Now the car won't start at all; it's literally dead silent when I turn the key but I do see my dashboard lights and headlights working. I can also push start the car into turning on, but the warning lights are all lit up and I have no power steering.

How badly fucked am i?

I haven't check the fuses yet on the car, nor have I replaced the battery bc I haven't had time to do since coming home from work yesterday. I plan to do some basic trouble shooting later when I get home, like checking the fuses, replacing the battery to see if it's dead, and possibly replacing the burned terminal.

Do you guys have any other suggestions I should do? Tips? I have a dealership appt. set up for Sunday Oct. 1, 2017 but I would love to fix this myself rather than get gouged by those damn overpriced sharks.
7m28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
new2subaru
Weight Weenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 15 FR-S
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,433
Thanks: 4,651
Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,265 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd be looking at this first considering it was grounded out for a while.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83698
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 29,078
Thanks: 27,398
Thanked 30,103 Times in 15,819 Posts
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7m28 View Post
Ok guy, I screwed up big time.

or maybe it's bad luck.

Long story short, I replaced my battery on my '13 FRS and took it to work, which has a ride time of approx. 55mins to and back. Somewhere along the way, the vibrations of the car loosened the battery brace and it made contact with the positive battery terminal. On the way home, the warning lights on my car all lit up and the car died. I opened the hood and saw the brace touching the terminal, leaving a black burned mark clearly on the edge of the terminal. Now the car won't start at all; it's literally dead silent when I turn the key but I do see my dashboard lights and headlights working. I can also push start the car into turning on, but the warning lights are all lit up and I have no power steering.

How badly fucked am i?

I haven't check the fuses yet on the car, nor have I replaced the battery bc I haven't had time to do since coming home from work yesterday. I plan to do some basic trouble shooting later when I get home, like checking the fuses, replacing the battery to see if it's dead, and possibly replacing the burned terminal.

Do you guys have any other suggestions I should do? Tips? I have a dealership appt. set up for Sunday Oct. 1, 2017 but I would love to fix this myself rather than get gouged by those damn overpriced sharks.
........ that's for not securing the battery ....... don't not do that no more.......

The first thing I would do is take the battery out and take it to a shop and have it "load tested". If it passes the test, slow charge it all the way up.

If the battery was damaged, buy a new battery.

Now, you're ready to proceed with trouble shooting (if necessary).


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
nico_rsx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 307
Thanks: 121
Thanked 119 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Like it was said, check the 2 fuses on the battery terminal and the battery itself. Also, since you seem to indicate you can push start the car, check if the battery is charging, do you have close to 14V with the car running, because if not then your alternator/charging circuit could be damaged, even though fuse or battery is more likely.

Last edited by nico_rsx; 09-22-2017 at 11:39 PM.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nico_rsx For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
original flavor
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,780
Thanks: 48,096
Thanked 33,197 Times in 17,385 Posts
Mentioned: 1059 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I wrote a long dissertation about how it wasn't the fuses. Then I went back and read the OP more carefully to realize this happened over time while it was running. If the fuse didn't protect your alternator, it's toast.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #6
DJCarbine
Thupercharged
 
DJCarbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: La Grange Park, IL.
Posts: 1,501
Thanks: 116
Thanked 750 Times in 439 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I wrote a long dissertation about how it wasn't the fuses. Then I went back and read the OP more carefully to realize this happened over time while it was running. If the fuse didn't protect your alternator, it's toast.
Shorted diodes?
__________________
2013 FRS
Vortech V3 11psi
Revworks UEL - PLM Overpipe - MOTIV catted frontpipe - Invidia Q300
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:25 AM   #7
Tcoat
Donít deal well with dumb
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 68,652
Thanks: 60,791
Thanked 105,196 Times in 45,446 Posts
Mentioned: 2450 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Shorted diodes?
There are probably a dozen different things that could have blown out in this scenario. There are many safeguards but few of them are meant to deal with this sort of situation so they get bypassed and the weirdest crap can result. It can be tough to trouble shoot. Been there.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:20 AM   #8
Ultramaroon
original flavor
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,780
Thanks: 48,096
Thanked 33,197 Times in 17,385 Posts
Mentioned: 1059 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Shorted diodes?
Usually the regulator goes first. That's been my experience, at least. ...but not on this system.

Easy to troubleshoot if one has the skills and some simple tools. Black magic for the untrained.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #9
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat
 
chaoskaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: CWP S.B.
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 4,703
Thanked 1,289 Times in 869 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i think your battery is just dead?


Ok i'm not expert at this. XD
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
cjd
Senior Member
 
cjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2017 BRZ
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,118
Thanks: 1,147
Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,597 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Last shorted battery I had (it was internal) shut the car off and cost me the body computer. It may have been the dealer insisting that because it ran on a jump all was OK (gauges were flickering and jumping, ran like crap)
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
Ultramaroon
original flavor
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,780
Thanks: 48,096
Thanked 33,197 Times in 17,385 Posts
Mentioned: 1059 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
i think your battery is just dead?


Ok i'm not expert at this. XD
Nah. He can bump start it but no power steering. It's running off of the battery but the charge circuit is dead. Power steering only kicks in when the alternator is working.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (09-23-2017), jcw99 (09-24-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Location: United States
Posts: 815
Thanks: 846
Thanked 519 Times in 336 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Nah. He can bump start it but no power steering. It's running off of the battery but the charge circuit is dead. Power steering only kicks in when the alternator is working.
I'm with Ultramaroon here. This seems like the most likely case. Hopefully the alternator isn't trashed, but if it is, there are worse things that could've been fried by the battery getting shorted out like that. At least the car is still running.
__________________
-O/D
2016 FR-S, Hot Lava
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #13
Ultramaroon
original flavor
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,780
Thanks: 48,096
Thanked 33,197 Times in 17,385 Posts
Mentioned: 1059 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I'm with Ultramaroon here. This seems like the most likely case. Hopefully the alternator isn't trashed, but if it is, there are worse things that could've been fried by the battery getting shorted out like that. At least the car is still running.
Manual has instructions to fix the alternator. #rebuiltnotbought

__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Location: United States
Posts: 815
Thanks: 846
Thanked 519 Times in 336 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
And what, of this assembly, would need replacing if it got harmed by the short? The rectifier? Seems like a bit much of an undertaking in any case, along with probably having to buy a few bearings, unless the OP feels confident in getting in there and doing the work. Maybe the dealer can rebuild it, but then it'll become a matter of which costs less -- a replacement part, or the labor and parts to do a rebuild.
__________________
-O/D
2016 FR-S, Hot Lava
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Part number for fusible link block on positive battery terminal? Jack Black Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 5 08-24-2022 08:58 AM
Battery terminal setup fuddbutter Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 0 01-24-2017 04:27 PM
Lost my battery terminal nut. qqzj BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 3 08-05-2014 07:51 AM
Battery Terminal Fuse replaceable? STS-V Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 1 03-14-2014 08:36 PM
Battery Terminal for Amp Install rbizzle004 Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 3 06-05-2013 12:46 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.