follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
saza26

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Ball Joint install anguish

So... almost two years have gone by now since I replaced the lower control arms. When I bought my car , had it inspected and was told the lower ball joints needed to be replaced. Had some discussion in another thread here and opted to replace both lower control arms, since that's easier for a diy-er (tho more expensive) than pressing in new ball joints

Haven't had any problems up until now. On a recent drive I noticed at highway speed the car pulling to the left a bit, so I decided must need a new alignment. Upon doing so, the shop tells me the right lower ball joint needs to be replaced. Having replaced the control arms so recently (and feeling a little more confident in my diy skills) I wanted to save some money so I bought the new ball joint on RockAuto and ball joint press kit.

Got everything removed and the old ball joint pressed out with relatively little trouble (we'll ignore breaking two wheel studs ). However when I go to press in the new ball joint, I noticed I can basically press it in with just my hands and light pressure. And if I bump it with moderate force it will fall back out.

I don't know if maybe the control arm was warped in my pressing out the old ball joint? Has anyone run into this before trying to change the ball joints? Do I HAVE to get new control arms? I've heard stories of people tack welding in new ball joints, but that sounds hellla sketchy to me.

Plz help, thx
saza26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:08 PM   #2
JOSEC

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ WRB
Personally, when I installed a ball joint a few years ago, I still needed to press in the new one.
Does the old one press in with the same ease as the new one? Cause if that's the case, I would say the get a new lower control arm.
JOSEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:39 PM   #3
saza26

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
It does yea. I did just order a new lower control arm yesterday. Ugh sux it went out so quick tho. Thats not a known issue is it? Wonder if perhaps something else in the suspension is off and wearing them out faster.
saza26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball joint, control arm, diy, press, suspension