follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #1
uchiha

Drives: BRZ 2020
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mechanical wear after drifting & maintenance routines

Hi,

I've BRZ 20' and getting into drifting lately, not something even remotely professional, just some fun with the boys for a hour and a half every weekend. Besides that I drive it daily.

The car is completely stock (can't modify anything due to warranty issues), and I'm kind of a drift-noob so I drift slowly at around 4-5~RPM.

I was wondering:

1. Is there any mechanical damage to the car besides the tires when drifting every weekend?

2. What is the suggested maintenance routine for the kind of usage I've described above?

Thanks
uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:57 PM   #2
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1. Yes. I would be particularly careful with the transmission.
2. I'm not a drifter but personally I would keep fluids up to date (probably oil change more often than normal), get an oil cooler, and high temp brake fluid + pads at a minimum. With how much I damage my car just with spirited driving + tracking I would also work towards building up an arsenal of body parts and get good friends with a body painter but YMMV.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
ZDan

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,791 Posts
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchiha View Post
I've BRZ 20' and getting into drifting lately, not something even remotely professional, just some fun with the boys for a hour and a half every weekend. Besides that I drive it daily.
The car is completely stock (can't modify anything due to warranty issues), and I'm kind of a drift-noob so I drift slowly at around 4-5~RPM.
I was wondering:
1. Is there any mechanical damage to the car besides the tires when drifting every weekend?
2. What is the suggested maintenance routine for the kind of usage I've described above?
Thanks
my 0.02: send it... Change oil every 5k or so miles. Change trans and diff fluid at 50k miles. Maybe... Til then, just send it.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:56 AM   #4
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86 Neptune, 2017 BRZ with PP
Thanked 1,189 Times in 670 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Keep an eye on oil temperature and let the car properly cool down before shutting down the engine after drifting.

Cooling down by going 10 mph is better than cooling down standing still.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote