follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2020, 12:07 AM   #1
glutenpoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Am I being paranoid? Manual OFT map download

Hey everyone, I'm new here please be easy on me!

I bought a 2015 BRZ Limited with 40,000mi in January of this year. I freaking love it! This purchase was just after a painstaking loss of my low-mile ford ranger, which needed a new engine at only 70k mi. It made me feel paranoid about low-mile engine issues. I'm staying pretty conservative with the car - I'm not getting headers, I have the OEM airbox, this is a daily commuter (80mi, 2-3 times a week).

Anyways, I had already read a ton of great reviews on the OFT when my friend offered me his old V1. This was from his FRS that he sold a while back and he let me have it for next to nothing (I probably wouldn't have ever tuned the BRZ if he didn't offer it to me.

So I get it today. Because it still had data from his FRS (although unmarried), I needed to wipe his original ECU data from the OFT.
I got erase credits from OFT support within 30min (epic customer service). I then successfully erased the original FRS data, then read my BRZ's original ECU data.

So then I go to flash my stage 1 tune, but 'Write" was grayed out. I looked through the forum and support section of OFT's website and I updated the V1's template (should i have done this? Now at startup I see a 458 instead of an FRS).

I then manually downloaded the stage 1 tune (v4.03: https://support.openflashtablet.com/...4-us-6mt-v4-03) from configuration code (ZA1JD00C).) Probably should have read more about whether or not I needed to update the template, but I went ahead and flashed over the tune.

I did everything by the book, (so I thought) I updated my tablet beforehand, did not interrupt the flashing process, and let my car idle for 2min after flashing the tune.

I shut the car down, drove conservatively for a while, then slowly opened her up - Night and day difference! So much better power delivery, felt so much smoother!

Now this is where I start getting paranoid, though. I had to parallel park after the test drive and reversed into a spot on my street - I stalled. I probably was just feathering the gas for whatever reason, probably just user error, idk. Then, later in the day at a stoplight idling in neutral, my RPM's dip from a steady 750-800 to 490 for 2 seconds and it felt close to stalling. Then it happens 2 more times before the light turned green - one time 500, the next 495. I had noticed this happened now and again before the tune but I don't know if it was as noticeable, and I don't remember how low the RPM's went... I always run my AC, and I have read a lot of people's cars will dip to 500 with their AC on. But I am pretty anxious about it. I've never had a nice car like this, and I've never had a tune either.

So, am I being paranoid? Or is this a valid concern? Should I re-flash the original ECU data? Should I keep driving and log some data?

Please give me some advice, and I apologize in advance if this has been explained elsewhere.
glutenpoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #2
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glutenpoops View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new here please be easy on me!

I bought a 2015 BRZ Limited with 40,000mi in January of this year. I freaking love it! This purchase was just after a painstaking loss of my low-mile ford ranger, which needed a new engine at only 70k mi. It made me feel paranoid about low-mile engine issues. I'm staying pretty conservative with the car - I'm not getting headers, I have the OEM airbox, this is a daily commuter (80mi, 2-3 times a week).

Anyways, I had already read a ton of great reviews on the OFT when my friend offered me his old V1. This was from his FRS that he sold a while back and he let me have it for next to nothing (I probably wouldn't have ever tuned the BRZ if he didn't offer it to me.

So I get it today. Because it still had data from his FRS (although unmarried), I needed to wipe his original ECU data from the OFT.
I got erase credits from OFT support within 30min (epic customer service). I then successfully erased the original FRS data, then read my BRZ's original ECU data.

So then I go to flash my stage 1 tune, but 'Write" was grayed out. I looked through the forum and support section of OFT's website and I updated the V1's template (should i have done this? Now at startup I see a 458 instead of an FRS).

I then manually downloaded the stage 1 tune (v4.03: https://support.openflashtablet.com/...4-us-6mt-v4-03) from configuration code (ZA1JD00C).) Probably should have read more about whether or not I needed to update the template, but I went ahead and flashed over the tune.

I did everything by the book, (so I thought) I updated my tablet beforehand, did not interrupt the flashing process, and let my car idle for 2min after flashing the tune.

I shut the car down, drove conservatively for a while, then slowly opened her up - Night and day difference! So much better power delivery, felt so much smoother!

Now this is where I start getting paranoid, though. I had to parallel park after the test drive and reversed into a spot on my street - I stalled. I probably was just feathering the gas for whatever reason, probably just user error, idk. Then, later in the day at a stoplight idling in neutral, my RPM's dip from a steady 750-800 to 490 for 2 seconds and it felt close to stalling. Then it happens 2 more times before the light turned green - one time 500, the next 495. I had noticed this happened now and again before the tune but I don't know if it was as noticeable, and I don't remember how low the RPM's went... I always run my AC, and I have read a lot of people's cars will dip to 500 with their AC on. But I am pretty anxious about it. I've never had a nice car like this, and I've never had a tune either.

So, am I being paranoid? Or is this a valid concern? Should I re-flash the original ECU data? Should I keep driving and log some data?

Please give me some advice, and I apologize in advance if this has been explained elsewhere.

You're not paranoid. Just new to the OFT flashing concept.

Every time you flash a new tune from the OFT to your car your throttle is reset and takes a while to re learn.

If you are unaware of this you will experience a huge difference in the initial(e.g. taking off, reversing, parking) throttle response.

You counteract this by simply giving it more revs at low throttle, until it re learns the throttle and everything goes back to normal.

There is a quick fix which involves taking the car through revs on medium throttle for a few runs and it resets the throttle correctly.

TLDR: it will fix itself over time, completely normal.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boomerang For This Useful Post:
korhun (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
glutenpoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you so much!
glutenpoops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags