follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #1373
BoxerGal

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi! I'm in AR. My FRS is getting the work done now on the recall. I didn't realize before dropping it off what was happening with the recalls.. otherwise I never would have dropped it off. I am freaking out! What dealer did your recall and how long ago? I don't know if mine will have a problem or not, but I am freaking out.
BoxerGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #1374
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,111 Times in 1,897 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Hi, hello.
Some run fine after and some don't.
Depends on the care taken to not peel the old goop into holes down the block.

Don't panic until it's time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-10-2020), Ultramaroon (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #1375
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 30,097 Times in 15,816 Posts
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerGal View Post
Hi! I'm in AR. My FRS is getting the work done now on the recall. I didn't realize before dropping it off what was happening with the recalls.. otherwise I never would have dropped it off. I am freaking out! What dealer did your recall and how long ago? I don't know if mine will have a problem or not, but I am freaking out.
Hello BoxerGal and welcome to our forum -

Hopefully by now the tech at the dealership where your car is being worked on has received the latest cautionary information on this repair and will do a proper job.

Not to worry, because now their is nothing that you can do about it.

The worse case after the repair, is that your car stops running.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #1376
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerGal View Post

Pray and pray and pray to the car god she turns out well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #1377
N234

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have 230K on my "bad" valve springs.
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N234 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-14-2020), gravitylover (01-15-2020), jeffchap (01-14-2020), Ultramaroon (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #1378
DeadBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBRZ View Post
Bought a 2103 BRZ May of this year (from GTA area dealer). November had the I suppose now "infamous" knock and engine stall. Found out the recall was performed in March. Called the dealer the repair was performed at and was told they are in no way accountable and I'd have to pay for the repair. Due the problems people have noted online I could not trust the dealership to fess up to their mistake. If they screwed it up the first time, why trust and pay them to screw it up again.
So took the car to my own mechanic for tear down and inspection/repair (was willing to pay for repair at this point) - his reply after digging into it was it looks like the guy who repaired it took a silicone sh!t on it. Also found remnants of sealant in the pick up tube. He said and I quote "I would fight these effrs". When he sent me pics of the pickup tube, I had a double take. It looked just like the ones seen on these threads.
Really, so you take your car into a shop for repair by who they call "factory trained mechanics" to have a recall performed and they destroy the power plant and don't take ownership.
Not good. Have sent messages to Subaru Canada and the dealership the car was purchased from to see how they respond.
Well Subaru has responded with a definite "the sealant found in your oil pickup is not of sufficient quantity to cause oil starvation" and the "extreme amount of sealant used to reseal the engine is of no concern". So we are now having to go out of pocket for repair expenses.
My suggestion to anyone on the fence about this recall. "DON'T DO IT" unless you have a spare $7-10G sitting around you want to get rid of at some point in the future.
I guess they consider some sealant left over from a repair is "of no concern". That's a frightening comment coming from someone in the automotive repair business. What if my heart surgeon said we left a small amount of gauze inside you...but its of no concern.

Last edited by DeadBRZ; 01-14-2020 at 03:54 PM.
DeadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadBRZ For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #1379
DeadBRZ

Quote:
Well Subaru has responded with a definite "the sealant found in your oil pickup is not of sufficient quantity to cause oil starvation" and the "extreme amount of sealant used to reseal the engine is of no concern". So we are now having to go out of pocket for repair expenses.
My suggestion to anyone on the fence about this recall. "DON'T DO IT" unless you have a spare $7-10G sitting around you want to get rid of at some point in the future.
I guess they consider some sealant left over from a repair is "of no concern". That's a frightening comment coming from someone in the automotive repair business. What if my heart surgeon said we left a small amount of gauze inside you...but its of no concern.
Would this be considered an acceptable amount of sealant in the pickup?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/310517...posted-public/

Last edited by DeadBRZ; 01-15-2020 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Changed img url
Old 01-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #1380
N234

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...TadTMmI9jGLTks
So much sealant, the photo wouldn't load.

The link must be seized.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #1381
rande

Drives: Spyder, MR2, FRS, Tundra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would ask them where the documentation is that says what amount is acceptable. I wouldn't think there should be any acceptable amount.
rande is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #1382
DeadBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rande View Post
I would ask them where the documentation is that says what amount is acceptable. I wouldn't think there should be any acceptable amount.
I have downloaded and read the Subaru Product Campaign Bulletin #WTY-84 which states on page 10.

IMPORTANT: Always keep close watch for any loose pieces of sealer, large or small as components are disassembled and remove them right away. This will help prevent them from getting into oil passages, restricting oil flow and potentially causing damage as shown here.
Pictures are in the bulletin.

And another on page 14
VERY IMPORTANT: It is critical to make sure all the original sealer is removed and the affected sealing surfaces completely clean and dry before applying any new sealer. After cleaning, a thorough inspection of the inside surfaces of the cylinder head area around the valve springs, inside the front timing cover and inside all the cam caps for any small pieces / bits of removed sealant or any other contamination is essential to providing a quality repair. Any contamination left behind can cause the Check Engine light to illuminate and / or other issues to develop resulting in a comeback.

I could not find any statement that suggests leaving "any amount" of sealant in the engine is acceptable.
It does however state that a quality repair includes making sure there is nothing left behind.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #1383
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
You've printed that out and you have a screenshot right? Send an email and explain that they've released documents that state differently than what you were told and you'd appreciate it if they would review the "case" again. Add the picture and ask if it's possible that another piece is blocking a passage somewhere? I would think that if you had someone reasonable looking at it they might get it and do the right thing.

Quote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/310517...posted-public/
IMO zero is acceptable. I'm having issues with mine too. I was having nasty noises on warm startup within the first 2k miles so I brought it back in and they pulled the pan and sure enough there were bits of sealant. The tech agreed that the noises were most likely due to mild oil starvation on startup. They cleaned it and changed the oil and filter again and the tech was feeling pretty good about it. I'm still getting knocking, grinding noises occasionally (particularly when the car was parked nose up) so may bring it back in again next week and see what can be done because I need to drive it down to Florida first week of February so it needs to be reliable for a 3k mile, 12 day trip.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #1384
DeadBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
You've printed that out and you have a screenshot right? Send an email and explain that they've released documents that state differently than what you were told and you'd appreciate it if they would review the "case" again. Add the picture and ask if it's possible that another piece is blocking a passage somewhere? I would think that if you had someone reasonable looking at it they might get it and do the right thing.

IMO zero is acceptable. I'm having issues with mine too. I was having nasty noises on warm startup within the first 2k miles so I brought it back in and they pulled the pan and sure enough there were bits of sealant. The tech agreed that the noises were most likely due to mild oil starvation on startup. They cleaned it and changed the oil and filter again and the tech was feeling pretty good about it. I'm still getting knocking, grinding noises occasionally (particularly when the car was parked nose up) so may bring it back in again next week and see what can be done because I need to drive it down to Florida first week of February so it needs to be reliable for a 3k mile, 12 day trip.
I've decided to escalate further up the chain. From the Service Manager to the General Manager. Outlining my conversation with the service manager and quoting from the bulletin. I don't think they have any legal basis to refuse covering repair since the service documents specifically warn about pieces (large and small) of sealant left behind causing problems. This might require a lawyer at some point but I hope not. I feel they should be recalling all of the cars that had the recall work performed for inspection before further damage occurs. What happens if recall work was performed but causes an engine failure leading to personal injury. Many people are not aware of subtle noises prior to catastrophe.

This is so frustrating, I went through something similar with my 2013 Elantra GT. I bought it brand new. I knew how it sounded brand new. Changed my oil earlier than recommended. Used full synthetic from the start. Then I started hearing the dreaded ticking and knocking on cold starts (after 15k). Took it to the dealer and they tried to say it was the fuel injectors. Found out after I sold it that they are now providing extended warranty's on some models due to debris left in the casting during manufacturing causing abnormal wear of the motor. At least they are slowly admitting to the problem and are taking care of it.
gravitylover (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #1385
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It sounds like they want you to take them to small claims court.

And yeah those Hyundai engine problems were some real shit. Brother in law's Sonata was out of commission for like 6 months because engines were not available.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #1386
DeadBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
It sounds like they want you to take them to small claims court.

And yeah those Hyundai engine problems were some real shit. Brother in law's Sonata was out of commission for like 6 months because engines were not available.
It appears that way. Here's the response from the Gen Manager.

Thank you for your email. Today I spoke to S*******t regarding the vehicle, S**** informed me that he has shown the images to Subaru Canada Tech Line, a senior technician in our shop and our service representative at Subaru Canada. All parties concur that the remnants of sealant did not create the problem Therefore our conclusion is the repair performed did not create the mechanical failure.
My issue is "the remnants of sealant" comment. There should be NONE.....period.
This sounds a lot like a judge and jury that are life long friends with the accused.
gravitylover (01-17-2020)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue